Crockpot Carnitas

by aimee @ shugarysweets on March 31, 2011

Slow Cooker Carnitas...easy, delicious dinner recipe
Let me just say, wow. These were so good. I mean, ‘crack open that Corona and pat yourself on the back for making an awesome dinner’ kind of good. The left overs are tasty too…as I have been eating them for a couple days. I made a lot of carnitas! I made them with a mild salsa, but easily could have used a little more heat in my mouth. However, in order to please 4 children, I used mild everything. Feel free to dice up a jalapeno (or a can of diced jalapenos) and toss them in too! So easy, so good. Enjoy!
Crockpot Carnitas

Yield: 8-10 servings

Slow Cooker Pork Carnitas

• 3-4 lb. pork tenderloins
  • 4 cloves garlic, pressed
  • 2 tsp olive oil
  • 1 tsp salt
  • ½ tsp pepper
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • 1 orange, juiced
  • 1½ cup cilantro, snipped
  • 1 cup salsa (use any type you like...I used Chi-Chi's Mild Original)
  • 1/4 cup chicken broth
  • ¼ cup tequila (or beer)
  • 1 can (4oz) chopped green chilies (I used mild...go for the heat though if you like that)
  • 12 flour tortillas
  • optional toppings: fresh cilantro, sliced avocado, tomato, lettuce, shredded cheese, red onion

1. Place pork in crockpot. Sprinkle with garlic, oil, salt, pepper and cumin. Top with cilantro, salsa, broth, tequila, green chilies, and juice from one orange. Cover and cook on low for about 6-8 hours.
  2. Shred pork with two forks and continue to cook until heated through.
  3. Serve on a tortilla with all the fixings, or make a rice bowl with black beans and all the fixings. Enjoy!
Linked To:

Lark (SparkyLarky) April 1, 2011 at 5:09 pm

Once again, a recipe I know I will be making! :)

Thank you for sharing, and commenting on post’s….dont you just love reading comments?

Rachel April 4, 2011 at 7:03 pm

yes. yes. yes.

I LOVE carnitas and just bought a new crockpot!

I used my old one until it went kaput ;-)

Leah @ Beyer Beware April 4, 2011 at 8:32 pm

Let me just be honest, if I see carnitas anywhere on a Mexican menu I order it. Whatever it is. This is being bookmarked. I have a hunk of pork this recipes name all over it!

SHUGARMAN FAMILY April 4, 2011 at 8:34 pm

Enjoy, I love carnitas myself, obviously :)

Em and Lib April 5, 2011 at 2:15 am

Oh this looks great! perfect to-go meal for the baseball park!
Blessings!
LIB

Laurie J April 22, 2011 at 12:06 am

I’m your newest follower, girl. You sold me on some of those treats you make….but this one sealed the deal! I “rock the crock” on my blog periodically. When I try this yummy-looking dinner I’ll link up this post, k? Thanks! :)

Happier Than a Pig in Mud May 2, 2011 at 2:09 pm

This sounds really good, bet the house smelled great too:@)

Miz Helen May 2, 2011 at 2:28 pm

What a great dish! Thank you for sharing and have a wonderful week!

Tree May 4, 2011 at 2:00 pm

Wow.. this looks awesome! I may have to add this to my list for our Cinco De Mayo dinner night. YUM! Thanks for linking up for Tasty Tuesday this week!

Tree
Mother of Pearl It Is

Tina @ MOMS CRAZY COOKING May 6, 2011 at 9:50 pm

Thanks for linking up to THIS WEEK’s CRAVINGS “Mexican Dishes”. We appreciate you sharing your recipe with us! We hope you come back next Monday for “Brunch Recipes / Mother’s Day”. Have a great weekend!

Carla and Michael May 7, 2011 at 10:47 am

Ha, funny-funny. I posted Carnitas too. I think I’ll have to use some of the ingredients from yours to add in and try next time. But I did like the cooking technique used in the one I posted (I liked the crispy edges)

Martha (MM) May 8, 2011 at 2:17 am

Yum!! I make shredded pork in my crock pot all the time. Love your recipe and will definitely try it!!

Jenna @ Newlyweds September 22, 2011 at 4:37 pm

Oh yummy, I shouldn’t be reading food posts while I am hungry, cause I am starving now, lol!!

Taryn January 30, 2012 at 2:06 pm

I am so excited about this recipe! I’ve been looking for a good carnitas recipe!

Tina Butler May 16, 2012 at 1:23 pm

Umm the carnitas look great. I just pinned the recipe to my pinterest board. I can’t wait to try your recipe. Found you on Gooseberry Patches RR.

Tina @ Mommy’s Kitchen

Sarah- the magical slow cooker March 5, 2013 at 8:44 am

Oh this recipe looks soo good. I can eat mexican food every night! pinning this!

Sarah
Sarah- the magical slow cooker recently posted..Slow cooker cinnamon applesauceMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets March 5, 2013 at 4:49 pm

Thanks for pinning Sarah!!!

Kristen July 16, 2013 at 1:59 am

We looooove carnitas at our house! But I have always made them in the oven and it is just too HOOOOT right now. So I will give your awesome-sounding recipe a try! Thanks so much!
Hopefully it turns out just as good with a boneless shoulder instead of the tenderloins… I was originally thinking of trying the bbq rootbeer recipe tomorrow, but I’ve been craving carnitas and these sound awesome!

Kristen July 16, 2013 at 11:18 pm

Hi again… wanted to THANK you for a YUMMY and EEEEEASY recipe! This simmered all day in the crock pot (boneless pork picnic roast) with everything except the cilantro (because I forgot). Serious YUMMINESS ratings all-around – and we’re a family that LOOOVES our carnitas! Thanks so much for posting this awesome recipe that doesn’t require using the oven or the broiler (though once it’s cooler, crisping up the meat a bit under the broiler would add nice texture). 5 Stars! :)