Monte Cristo

Monte Cristo: delicious, easy monte cristo recipe using crescent rolls! #copycat

This month marks the 18th anniverary of my first date with my dear husband! Both of us were servers (that’s what we called ourselves…never waiter/waitress) at a local Bennigan’s restaurant. So many fun memories of working there, but many of my memories of Bennigan’s revolve around the food. Especially their Monte Cristo sandwich. Yum. You take a perfectly healthy turkey and ham sandwich, batter it up, deep fry it, coat it in powdered sugar, dip it raspberry jam, and wonder why America is obese.

Actually this week my kids all had their yearly physicals, and two of them are underweight (the two oldest). What??? Have you seen what kind of food I cook and bake? I let them eat, honest! So, I guess you can say, the Monte Cristo is just what the doctor ordered!

Monte Cristo

Yield: 6

Easy monte cristo sandwiches that are made using Pillsbury crescent rolls!

• 1 loaf wheat or white bread (18 slices)
  • 2 pkg Pillsbury Crescent Rolls (or the new sheets works better)
  • 1/2 lb thinly sliced turkey
  • 1/2 lb thinly sliced ham
  • 6 slices provolone cheese
  • 6 slices American cheese
  • cooking oil
  • Raspberry jam (for dipping)
  • Powdered sugar (to garnish)

1. Stack three slices of bread on top of each other and cut off crusts on all four sides. Repeat for remaining 5 sandwiches.
  2. On first slice of bread, layer turkey with one slice of American cheese. Top with a slice of bread, a layer of ham and one slice of provolone cheese. Complete the sandwich with a slice of bread. Repeat for remaining 5 sandwiches.
  3. On lightly floured surface, open one package of Crescent rolls. Stretch and roll the dough until it is nearly twice the size. Cut 3 strips from the dough. Wrap one sandwich in one strip of dough. Wet fingertips to wet the seams and pinch them together. Repeat with last two strips, then repeat with second package of dough until all 6 sandwiches are covered.
  4. In large skillet, heat canola oil (about 1 inch deep) until very hot (sprinkle of flour should make it sizzle). Working 3 sandwiches at a time, place them flat side down in oil. They should brown in 1-2 minutes. Flip all sandwiches until all sides are browned. Remove from oil and repeat for remaining sandwiches. While sandwiches are hot, sprinkle with powdered sugar, serve and dip in raspberry jam. Enjoy!

28 Responses to “Monte Cristo”

1. posted May 3, 2011 at 1:39 pm

I love monte cristos. They’re like the perfect sandwich for breakfast, lunch or dinner. I like dipping mine in jam too!

2. posted May 3, 2011 at 5:47 pm

Loved this sandwhich! We seldom went to Bennigans but, when we did I would get this and my husband would look at me like I was insane! LOL

3. Anonymous
    posted May 3, 2011 at 8:31 pm

I tried the web and your site didn’t come up today.

4. posted May 3, 2011 at 10:55 pm

@ Sinful Sundays…I love them too, but have to limit the exposure, not a healthy option :)
    @ Jackie- I have a special place in my heart for bennigan’s…have to remind myself it’s because I met my husband there, NOT because of this sandwich :)
    @ Dad…keep trying!!!!

5. posted May 4, 2011 at 1:59 am

spring time to us means sandwich weather thanks for sharing these come see what I shared today

6. posted May 4, 2011 at 9:55 am

Hi Aimee, this is such a treat.Thank you for sharing.My children will really love this.

7. posted May 5, 2011 at 12:49 pm

This is one of my favorite sandwiches. My son too! Yours looks fantastic. Great job.

8. posted May 7, 2011 at 3:18 pm

Hi Aimee,
    A Monte Cristo is one of my favorite sandwiches and your recipe looks great! Thank you for sharing with Full Plate Thursday!

9. posted May 16, 2011 at 3:24 am

love, Love, LOVE! thank you for sharing with tuesday night supper club.

10. posted Aug 20, 2011 at 2:42 am

Possibly my favorite sandwich in the world. Bennigan’s makes the best. I tried their copy cat at home! Whoa – I think I will leave the batter frying to the experts. Your crescent roll version has me intrigued though.

11. posted Aug 20, 2011 at 3:23 am

Suzy, You MUST try the crescent roll. Way easier than batter, and absolutely delish. Honest. I worked there. Remember. It works!

12. posted Jan 21, 2013 at 9:46 am

Ok..weird! Me & my husband met while working as server/hostess at Bennigan’s also! To this day we mourn the loss of their Monte! And we’ve been married 18 years~ SMALL WORLD!! Such fun memories of working there..thanks for the flashback! :)

• posted Jan 21, 2013 at 11:34 am

Haha!! very small world! Where did you work? Ours was in South suburbs of Chicago!

• posted Feb 15, 2013 at 9:05 am

We worked a the Bennigan’s in Albuquerque, NM…..still miss that place!

13. posted Feb 15, 2013 at 8:41 am

YESSSS!!!!!!! I go to Bennigans all the freaking time and have never stopped being upset that they can’t make the Monte Cristo without meat (without a whole days notice)! So glad to see this crescent roll trick– I am trying this with as soon as physically possible, maybe with fake meat or just super fancy grilled cheese style! :)

14. posted Apr 29, 2013 at 10:19 pm

I have had this sandwitch at a place called Cheddars in Omaha Ne. It is FABULOUS! also comes with raspberry jam. The serving size is so big that it will make two meals. It warms up beautifully in a low degree oven. I love the sandwitch, I might have to try this recipe tho and see if it as good as Cheddars.

15. rally618
    posted Nov 1, 2013 at 10:22 pm

or you dip em in pancake syrup
    I will try this !!!!!!!!!!!!

16. marika
    posted Nov 2, 2013 at 1:55 am

Wonder if it could be baked instead

• posted Nov 2, 2013 at 6:49 am

You probably could bake them, but you would lose the texture of a Monte Cristo, which is the crunchy fried coating!

17. anita
    posted Nov 2, 2013 at 6:45 am

Bennagans were good but the Very Best Ever Monty Cristo Sandwich I have ever had was from a little place calledThe Magic Pan, in Virginia, they made their own egg bread just for the Monty Cristo sandwiches , they dipped iit into an egg batter somewhat like french toast & then fried it & served with hot rasberry jam, it was to literly to die for good, The Egg bread was what made them extra special tasting as well as being very light. We would drive the 23 miles every weekend just to have one for brunch, I have never been able to find a recipe or the egg bread though

• posted Nov 2, 2013 at 6:48 am

Oh that sounds fabulous!!

• anita
        posted Nov 2, 2013 at 6:53 am

When I said to die for I was not kidding, if the Magig Pan was still around I would fly from the NW back to the east coast a coupple times a yrar just to have one again

18. Katrina
    posted Nov 2, 2013 at 9:27 am

Thank you for posting this! My hubby and I loved to eat these while we were dating and first married. Then the Bennigan’s closed and no more Monte Cristos.

19. Michelle Baxter
    posted Aug 14, 2014 at 10:12 pm

I’m not sure how to use the crescent rolls…how thick should the strips be?

• posted Aug 14, 2014 at 10:24 pm

Hey Michelle, you want to press the dough out until it’s almost twice as big. Then cut each roll into 3 even pieces. You want them big enough to stretch around the sandwich. Hope that helps!!

20. Pingback: ideascute » Blog Archive » Monte Cristo Sandwiches

21. Amanda
    posted Mar 14, 2015 at 11:20 pm

Made these this evening–YUM! They turned out great! Much easier and better than other attempts with a batter. Thanks!

22. Pingback: Monte Cristo –Brik | Miles Apart, Hearts Together