Beef Pitas with Tzatziki Sauce

by aimee @ shugarysweets on August 3, 2011

I could eat these daily for dinner. I wish I had my own vertical spit though so I can make real authentic gyros. These are NOT gyros. Please don’t make these and complain they don’t taste like gyros. These are beef sirloin slices in a pita with tzatziki sauce. It’s as close as I can get to a homemade gyro. Without using lamb. And that vertical spit thing to cook the lamb. Sorry.

Actually, I’m not going to apologize. These pitas are delicious! My kids ate the steak not on a pita and I ate mine just like the picture, with juicy red tomatoes and some fresh homemade tzatziki sauce on top. I would usually put slices of onion on my pita, however, the sauce has plenty of onion flavor it wasn’t even necessary.
The best part? I made the sauce in the morning, so come dinner time it only took about 15 minutes from start to table. Enjoy!
Beef Pitas with Tzatziki Sauce
by Shugary Sweets
Prep Time: 4 hours
Keywords: saute entree sandwich beef cucumber Greek
    For the Beef:
    • 1 Tbsp fresh rosemary, minced
    • 2 tsp dried oregano
    • 1/2 tsp kosher salt
    • 1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
    • 2 tsp Greek seasoning (like Cavender’s)
    • 2 lb beef top sirloin steak (boneless), cut into strips
    • 1 Tbsp olive oil
    • 6 pitas
    For the Tzatziki sauce:
    • 1 cup Greek plain yogurt
    • 1 cucumber, diced (about 1 1/2 cup)
    • 1/2 cup onion, diced
    • 1 tsp lemon juice
    • 1 tsp salt
    • 1/4 tsp fresh ground black pepper
    • 3 cloves garlic, minced
    • 1 tsp Greek seasoning
    Mix all the ingredients for the sauce in a bowl. Store in refrigerator and allow to sit for 4 or more hours. Some people put it in a coffee filter and mesh colander all day to allow the excess moisture drain out. I personally don’t bother.
    In large resealable bag, mix seasonings and add beef strips. Seal bag and shake.
    Heat skillet on medium high with olive oil. Add beef strips and saute for about 10 minutes, until cooked to desired doneness. I prefer a little pink, but cook however you enjoy.
    Serve on a pita with sliced tomatoes and tzatziki sauce. Enjoy!
    Powered by Recipage

Linked To:
    These Chicks Cooked Cast Party Weds It’s a Keeper Party Mindie Style Savory Sunday Hunk of Meat Monday

Jeff August 3, 2011 at 8:35 pm

I am going to have to try these!

BreAna {Sugar and Spice and All Things Iced} August 3, 2011 at 10:51 pm

I love Greek food…especially gyros! But I haven’t tried making them at home yet. I almost bought ingredients for tzatziki sauce last night and I decided not too. Now seeing your post today makes we want to go back to the store. These look fantastic…even if they aren’t quite gyros. :)

aunt-shug August 4, 2011 at 12:54 am

now I have a taste for gyros!!! YUMMEE

Lark (SparkyLarky)@ Lark's Country Heart August 4, 2011 at 1:17 am

That does it …I am moving in!

You make all the things I like, so I think I would be helping you out….I would NOT be the picky eater!

Aimee August 4, 2011 at 1:32 am

BreAna, you totally need to make your own sauce. Yum. You could do chicken too, instead of the beef.

Lark, that would be great. Hope you like dogs cause they love guests :)

Tracy August 4, 2011 at 1:48 am

These sound amazing!!

sheryl August 10, 2011 at 2:39 am

Thanks so much for sharing your recipes with me at Cast Party Wednesday. I hope you will come back tomorrow for another party filled with GREAT RECIPES!
    Thanks,
    I hope to see you there!

Maria October 31, 2011 at 8:13 pm

Hi! This is a fantastic and oh-so-yummy idea instead of pork or chicken gyros; being greek I know, trust me! Even though in the traditional tzatziki recipe we never use onion and prefer vinegar instead of lemon. Try it out some time… I am enjoying so much reading your blog!
    Greetings from Athens, Greece. Maria

Aimee October 31, 2011 at 9:16 pm

Maria,
    Thanks so much for the tips, I will definitely try it out!