Lemon Knots

by aimee @ shugarysweets on August 5, 2011

I did something for the first time this summer. I made vanilla sugar. I had no idea how easy it was to make, and how awesome it is to use in baked goods. I’ve already got another jar “ripening” while I use what is left of my current stash. The sugar on top of these knots provided an awesome CRUNCH while the glaze made the perfect sweet finish on your tastebuds.

These lemon knots were so easy to make, which is my perfect kind of dessert. Delicious and easy. Does it get better than that? Well, there is no chocolate involved, so I suppose it could get better, if I were in the mood for chocolate. Which I wasn’t. I like citrus desserts in the summer. Don’t worry, we will be back to regular chocolate programming soon.

Speaking of regular programming…the family is going on vacation next week. I know how much you all love me and look forward to my recipes every day (right? right? bueller?). So, I have declared next week doughnut week. I have made 4 awesome versions of my donut recipe that I think you will all enjoy! I brought 3 of these to hubs work this week and I think they went over well. They were all eaten. Or tossed in the trash, because the container was brought home empty.

So if it seems quiet around here, and on facebook, I’ll catch up with all of you when I return. In the meantime, please leave me a comment next week so I know someone stopped by! K? Thanks.

Lemon Knots
by Shugary Sweets
Prep Time: 3 hours
Keywords: bake bread lemon vanilla sugar
Ingredients (6 knots)
    For the Lemon Knots:
    • 6 frozen dinner rolls (I use Rhodes)
    • ½ cup vanilla sugar (if you don’t have any you can use granulated or see my recipe to make your own!!)
    • 1 lemon, zested and juiced
    • 2 Tbsp butter, melted
    • 1½ cup powdered sugar
    For the Vanilla Sugar:
    • 2 cups granulated sugar
    • 1 whole vanilla bean
    For the Lemon Knots:
    Place rolls from freezer onto a baking sheet and allow to thaw for about 2-3 hours. Roll each dinner roll into a rope, about 6-8 inches long, twist into a knot. Return to baking sheet.
    In small bowl mix vanilla sugar with zest from one lemon. Save the lemon to use the juice for the glaze. Mix the sugar and lemon zest. Brush each knot with melted butter and sprinkle generously with sugar.
    Let rise until double in size, about 3-4 hours.
    Bake in a 350 degree oven for 15 minutes. While baking, make glaze by whisking powdered sugar with juice from one lemon. Drizzle over warm lemon knots and enjoy!
    For the Vanilla Sugar:
    Pour sugar into a mason jar. Slice vanilla bean down lengthwise and scrape seeds out with back of a butter knife. Add seeds to sugar, then shake jar. Add vanilla pod to jar and bury it. Seal jar and let sit on counter for at least a week.
    May reuse bean for 4-5 uses, or keep existing bean in jar and add a fresh bean to new sugar for a stronger vanilla taste.
    Powered by Recipage

Linked To:
    Fat Camp Friday  Sweet Tooth Friday   I’m Lovin It  Weekend Show Off  Sweets for a Saturday  Party Mindie Style
    Sweet Indulgences Sunday  Strut Your Stuff  So Sweet Sunday   Melt in your Mouth Monday  Recipe Sharing Monday
    Tempt My Tummy Tuesday  Tuesday Time Out  Wow Me Weds  Cast Party  Full Plate Thursday
    Ultimate Recipe Swap  Ultimate Recipe Swap  Lemon Knots

robin August 5, 2011 at 11:40 am

These look refreshing! I’m going to have to try making some vanilla sugar!
    Robin–visiting from Sweet Tooth Friday

Leslie August 5, 2011 at 1:21 pm

Yummy! I wish I had one right now to enjoy with my coffee! :)

Lisa August 5, 2011 at 1:34 pm

That’s so great how they’re so easy to make. They look lovely.

Aimee August 5, 2011 at 2:22 pm

Robin- you must try it! I use it in so many baked goods now!

Betsy August 5, 2011 at 11:45 pm

I bet these are delicious and they are so pretty, too!

Cindy August 6, 2011 at 2:30 pm

Love rhodes rolls. This looks like a great recipe. Have you ever dipped them in butter, then mayo, then roll in fresh grated parmsean chesse mixed with italian seasoning. Put in grased muffin cups and let raise. Bake as directed on packare. Yummy!
    Have a great trip

Lark (SparkyLarky)@ Lark's Country Heart August 6, 2011 at 3:21 pm

Love it!

Abby August 6, 2011 at 5:55 pm

I’ll try just about anything with lemon in it. These look so easy to make, and I can tell from the picture that they taste fantastic!

Kim McCallie August 6, 2011 at 7:58 pm

I will miss your posts next week but hope you have a great vacation. Looking forward to your doughnut week. These knots look delicious and now I need to make vanilla sugar. Thanks for sharing on Sweet Indulgences Sunday.

Ali August 7, 2011 at 1:08 am

nomnomnomnomnom. *steals another lemon knot* nomnomnomnomnom *runs away!

Miranda August 7, 2011 at 2:45 am

Vanilla sugar sounds awesome! Thank you so much for joining Fat Camp Friday! See you next week!

kate @ pomelosunshine August 7, 2011 at 8:34 pm

These look amazing! I love that they’re semi-homemade, it’s so easy that way.

Walking by Faith August 15, 2011 at 1:02 am

I LOVE lemon desserts! I’m looking forward to making this tasty treat!

Thanks for sharing with So Sweet Sundays! :)

Yvonne @ StoneGable August 16, 2011 at 1:28 am

Aimee, What a great and easy recipe! I love the idea of using roll dough and making it lemony is luscious! Please join me at ON THE MENU MONDAY and link up this delightful sweet treat!
    Yvonne

Trish - Sweetology101 August 16, 2011 at 3:00 am

Now this is what I want to go with my tea! Check out Tea Party Tuesday http://sweetology101.blogspot.com/2011/08/tea-party-tuesday-miracle-makeover-and.html

raising4princesses August 16, 2011 at 2:18 pm

I’ve got to try these! Your header makes me want to lick the screen that doughnut looks so good. Anything lemon sounds dreamy to me. thanks for sharing.
    I just started a new link party on my blog today and I’d be honored if you’d join up with this. http://caribbeanmissionarywife.blogspot.com/2011/08/t-time-21-and-link-up.html
    have a lovely day, Maria

Candy August 16, 2011 at 4:44 pm

I love that these start with frozen dough! I haven’t made vanilla sugar in while and keep telling myself I need to whip some up to keep in the pantry. This recipe has inspired me to do it today!

Faith and Daisies August 18, 2011 at 1:56 am

The lemon knots look delicious and I will have to make some vanilla sugar!

Miz Helen August 20, 2011 at 3:26 pm

What a great treat that is so easy to make, it looks delicious! Hope you have a great week end and thanks for sharing with Full Plate Thursday!
    Come back soon,
    Miz Helen

Xanax May 18, 2013 at 11:24 am

The write-up features established necessary to me. It’s extremely educational and
    you really are naturally really educated in this field.
    You possess popped my eye for you to numerous opinion
    of this specific subject along with intriguing and sound content material.
    Xanax recently posted..XanaxMy Profile