Pumpkin Scones

by aimee @ shugarysweets on September 13, 2011

Pumpkin Scones: copycat Starbucks pumpkin scones, better than the real thing! Freeze well too!

I have never made scones before yesterday. I’ve eaten them, but never attempted to bake them before. Now that I have, my life will never be the same. Last week I bought a pumpkin scone from Starbucks, it was amazing.  I knew I had to have these in my life, and soon.

The scone itself is so moist, not overly dry and crumbly like some I have eaten before. Then you brush on the vanilla glaze and it takes the sweetness up a notch. You go one step over the top by adding a second glaze, drizzled over the scone.

Oh my goodness, these are fantastic! I hope you enjoy them too!

Pumpkin Scones

Yield: 36 scones

For the Scone:
  • 4¼ cup flour
  • ¾ cup sugar
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 2 Tbsp baking powder
  • ½ tsp ground ginger
  • ½ tsp ground cloves
  • ¾ tsp nutmeg
  • 2 tsp cinnamon
  • ¾ cup butter, cold, cut in cubes
  • 1 cup canned pumpkin puree
  • 1/2 cup heavy cream
  • 2 eggs
  • For the Vanilla Glaze:
  • 1 cup powdered sugar
  • 2 Tbsp heavy cream
  • For the Cinnamon Glaze:
  • 1½ cup powdered sugar
  • ½ tsp cinnamon
  • ½ tsp allspice
  • 2-3 Tbsp heavy cream

1. In small bowl, mix the pumpkin, heavy cream and egg with a whisk. Set aside.
  2. In mixer, using paddle attachment, mix flour, sugar, baking powder and spices. Add in cold butter cubes and mix until crumbly. Slowly add in pumpkin mixture and mix until thoroughly combined.
  3. Divide dough in half, and form the dough into a 12x5 inch rectangle. If it’s too sticky, using hands, mix in enough flour so it is easier to shape.
  4. Cut dough into triangles by making three vertical cuts (you should now have 3 rectangles. Cut each of the rectangles by making an X, I use a pizza cutter. Then make ONE horizontal cut across the center. You should have 18 triangles.
  5. Place each triangle onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake in a 425 degree oven for about 13-15 minutes. Repeat with other half of dough.
  6. Cool on rack. Make sugar glaze by whisking the sugar with heavy cream. Using a brush, paint the tops of each scone with the glaze.
  7. To make the cinnamon glaze, whisk all the ingredients together until smooth. Pour into a ziploc bag and cut the corner. Drizzle the glaze over all the scones. Allow to dry (about 15 minutes). Eat and enjoy!
  8. (adapted from The Shoebox Kitchen)

Momof2Es September 13, 2011 at 12:35 pm

I think the instructions are missing something.

Momof2Es September 13, 2011 at 12:38 pm

My mistake–the order is not quite right–sorry–Can’t wait to try them.

Carrie @ My Favorite Finds September 13, 2011 at 12:39 pm

I love making scones. Here is a link to a Cinnamon Sugar Scone (Starbucks-like) recipe that I use a lot. I have “pinned” the pumpkin scones, and am looking forward to trying them.

MrsFoxsSweets September 13, 2011 at 12:52 pm

I love anything pumpkin…well probably not anything, but most things! These look great. I am pinning them now..yum!

Kirsteen September 13, 2011 at 1:08 pm

Yum! These look delish. I’ve never really made anything using pumpkin, accept for soup, and I think this recipe will be a great start :)

Lisa September 13, 2011 at 1:40 pm

mmm! Love me some pumpkin! These look amazing!

Abby September 13, 2011 at 2:17 pm

These look great! Pumpkin makes everything better.

Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust September 13, 2011 at 2:31 pm

I am in love with the Starbuck’s pumpkin scone and have been wanting to make them for awhile. Thanks for the recipe!

Jenna @ Newlyweds September 13, 2011 at 3:36 pm

Wow these are absolutely gorgeous, can’t wait to try them.

Jocelyn September 13, 2011 at 4:53 pm

My husband requested scones this weekend too! But he wasn’t ready for a fall flavored one just yet:-) I am on a huge pumpkin kick right now so these are looking fabulous to me!!!

BreAna {Sugar and Spice and All Things Iced} September 13, 2011 at 6:49 pm

What a perfect Fall treat! They look fantastic!

Vicky September 13, 2011 at 10:32 pm

Oh yum! These just scream Fall. They also scream “EAT ME!” :-)

I am a new follower from the Tuesday Time Out Hop. If you have a moment, come by http://www.messforless.net and say hi!
Thanks!

Lisa@BlessedwithGrace September 13, 2011 at 11:34 pm

The pumpkin scones sound wonderful! Thanks for sharing and linking to TMTT.

Holly September 14, 2011 at 3:12 am

Oh you KNOW I will be making these!! YUMMO!

kristy September 14, 2011 at 3:49 pm

Pumpkin is right up my alley and I’ve never made scones before either!

Kimby September 14, 2011 at 10:50 pm

Two glazes?? I’ll take that scone on the lower right, please.

laurie September 14, 2011 at 11:10 pm

These look amazing!

ohkeeka September 15, 2011 at 11:43 am

I’ve never made scones either! But you make it sound so easy, maybe I should try. Now that it’s fall, I find myself constantly craving pumpkin.

Aimee September 15, 2011 at 12:38 pm

Kimby- sorry, I ate it!
OhKeeka- YOU CAN DO IT! They are so easy, I promise.

carolinaheartstrings September 15, 2011 at 4:11 pm

Pumpkin anything is my fav. These look so wonderful. Come visit us today. We have an awseome apple recipe.

Jill @ Craft in a Northern Town September 15, 2011 at 4:38 pm

I tried to make scones once and they weren’t that great. But, I love pumpkin scones and this recipe sounds delish! Maybe I’ll give it another try. :)

Aimee September 15, 2011 at 4:42 pm

Jill, these are so moist and flavorful. Especially with the sweet glazes on top. Yum. Wish I had some leftovers!

betweenarockandahobby September 16, 2011 at 12:48 am

WOW! These look sooooo good!

Amy September 16, 2011 at 8:25 pm

These look soooooooo good! I love pumpkin scones. Would you link this up to my Fall Snack/Recipe Challenge? I know my readers would love to see!

Becca @ Crumbs and Chaos September 17, 2011 at 1:29 am

I want these and a cup of coffee…right now! These look fabulous! I’d love it if you would share them and any of your other great seasonal goodness tomorrow at our Seasonal Inspiration Saturday!

The Outlaw Mom September 17, 2011 at 4:45 am

Oh, oh, oh. I have to make these! They look SO delicious! I can smell them through the photo! Thanks for sharing :-) (Hope these turn out for me!)

Kim McCallie September 18, 2011 at 11:25 pm

I’ve never made scones either. Earlier this year, I declared to myself that this would be the year I learned to make scones. Well, it’s September…and no scones. I think it’s the rolling out the dough and cutting into triangles that holds me back. Silly. These look delicious and are inspiring me to keep my resolution. Thanks for sharing on Sweet Indulgences Sunday.

KB September 19, 2011 at 9:33 am

Looks delish.

We’d love you to share your recipes with us at
Simply Delish Saturday

Jenn Erickson September 19, 2011 at 8:08 pm

Your scones look and sound heavenly! I’m featuring your post at this week’s “A Little Birdie Told Me…”!

Jenn

Sweet Peas and Bumblebees September 21, 2011 at 4:16 am

Such a GREAT idea! We are featuring you tomorrow at the start of a new What I Made Wednesday Linky Party @ Sweet Peas and Bumblebees! Come and grab a button and join in on the fun!

Alisa

Kate September 21, 2011 at 1:36 pm

Oh my goodness…do these look tasty!

MissCandiquik September 26, 2012 at 4:36 pm

These ARE happening, in fact, I’m bumping them to the top of my “to bake list”….love it, thanks for sharing :)

beth September 6, 2013 at 10:57 am

Does anyone else think there is too much baking powder in these? I made mine and i think next time i would use less.

aimee @ shugarysweets September 6, 2013 at 11:25 am

I make these regularly and haven’t had any problems with the amount of baking powder. I like my scones to be a little “fluffier” and crumbly instead of dense. You can certainly cut it down to 1Tbsp if desired!
aimee @ shugarysweets recently posted..Friday FavoritesMy Profile

sarah September 8, 2013 at 4:46 pm

I was wondering if I should put the dough in the fridge before I cut them? I had to add a lot of extra flour because it was so sticky.

Monica September 23, 2013 at 2:22 pm

Sounds great! But isn’t vanilla needed for vanilla glaze? :)

aimee @ shugarysweets September 23, 2013 at 3:14 pm

You could totally add vanilla. I called it vanilla glaze cause it sounded better than white glaze, LOL.
aimee @ shugarysweets recently posted..Chocolate Donut MilkshakesMy Profile

Anonymous October 2, 2013 at 7:00 pm

Can you make these the night before? Do they still taste as good the next day? i want to make this for a book club, but leave early in the morning so would have to make the night before. And If so what would be the best way to keep them fresh?
Thanks

Rachel October 3, 2013 at 3:22 pm

Just made these and they are so, so good!! They taste very much like the Starbucks ones! Thanks for sharing this recipe…going to be saving a lot of money by not buying them from there ;)

Patricia October 9, 2013 at 10:16 am

These look delicious.Same as you I have ate many scones.But never attempting making them myself.Just a quick question can you use milk in place of the heavy cream? I have everything but heavy cream.

ferrell downey October 13, 2013 at 12:44 pm

I made these this morning! Great. I do think the measurements for the white glaze and cinnamon glaze are reversed though. I came up with lots more of the cinammon glaze than the white. Great though.

kristi@ishouldbemoppingthefloor October 26, 2013 at 1:58 am

I always, ALWAYS get Pumpkin Scones at Starbucks!! I pop them in the microwave for a few seconds and wow!! So fun to have a recipe for these…yay!

Kristen Duke October 28, 2013 at 11:33 pm

I love scones too!! These sound delicious!
Kristen Duke recently posted..The PINspiration PlaceMy Profile

Jenny November 4, 2013 at 12:34 pm

These turned out completely wonderful. Thank you! It’s the perfect way to use up the rest of a can of pumpkin after making coffee creamer… and yes, of course I had pumpkin coffee with the pumpkin scones! I’ve eaten way too many and they’ve only been out of the oven an hour.

liz December 4, 2013 at 11:43 am

It says a can of pumpkin? How big of a can?

liz December 4, 2013 at 12:03 pm

Oh wow haha I cannot read! Nevermind!

Laura @cowboyboots September 11, 2014 at 4:02 pm

Just made these yesterday and they were OUTSTANDING. My entire family (even grumpy hubs who isn’t a fan of sweets) begged me to make these again. They were moist and perfect…..even better with my coffee the next morning! Thanks for posting!
(people mentioned they were sticky…just add more flour a little at a time….gently as to not overmix)

aimee @ shugarysweets September 13, 2014 at 7:48 am

Whoohoo so glad you love them! Reminds me I need to make another batch ASAP.