Chocolate Donuts (Baked!)

Baked Chocolate Donuts: you'll have these on the breakfast table in under 30 minutes!
**photos updated February 2015**
I love donuts. I mean, if you go onto my recipe page you will see I have a section just for donuts! I definitely enjoy the yeast donuts that are fried, however sometimes you just don’t have all day to make donuts. Sometimes you want a chocolate donut, within the hour.

Well, you’ve come to the right place. Because I feel the same way. So I made donuts, and within the hour they were ready to eat (okay, some were eaten). I hope you enjoy them as much as my kids did (yes, me too).

If you don’t yet have a donut pan, this is the one I use: Norpro Donut Pan

• 1 Tbsp milk
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 2 tsp corn syrup
  • 2 oz semi sweet chocolate morsels
  • 3/4 cup powdered sugar

1. For the donuts, mix dry ingredients in bowl. Beat in the eggs, milk, vanilla and butter. Beat until well blended.
  2. Spray donut pan with cooking spray. Fill each donut cup about 3/4 full (I use a ziploc with the corner snipped to do this neatly). Fills about 8-10 donuts.
  3. Bake donuts in 325 degree oven for about 10 minutes. Allow to cool slightly, remove from pan.
  4. While cooling, make chocolate glaze. In small saucepan on medium low heat, mix together the cream, milk, butter, vanilla and corn syrup. When butter is completely melted, turn heat to low and add in the chocolate. Remove from heat and whisk in the powdered sugar, adding it slowly until desired consistency.
  5. Dip each donut into the glaze, allow to cool. (optional- sprinkle with toppings). Allow chocolate to set (about 15 minutes). Enjoy!

Chocolate Donuts: baked chocolate donuts topped with rich chocolate frosting!
 Baked Chocolate Donuts: ready on your breakfast table in 30 minutes or less!
**There may be affiliate links in this post! By clicking on them, or purchasing recommended items I may receive a small compensation. However, I only recommend products I love! Thank you for supporting Shugary Sweets! See my disclosure policy for more info**

68 Responses to “Chocolate Donuts (Baked!)”

1. posted Oct 20, 2011 at 11:32 am

Can I order a dozen or two? I prefer baked donuts and these look heavenly!

2. posted Oct 20, 2011 at 12:52 pm

Yes, please. I will be looking for my package of donuts in the mail:-) Heavy on the glaze please! These look delish!!!

3. posted Oct 20, 2011 at 2:10 pm

Those look so GOOD! Love the colored sprinkles.

4. posted Oct 20, 2011 at 2:40 pm

I just found you on Something Swanky and pinned these donuts! I have always wanted to try making cake donuts. Thank you so much for sharing! I would love for you to link up to my party:

5. posted Oct 20, 2011 at 2:44 pm

Oh man you are killing me over here. These look sooo good! Wish I had one for breakfast!

6. posted Oct 20, 2011 at 8:44 pm

OMG!! your recipes are one better than the other!! Your blog is fantastic congrats! I am deff following you! Come visit me! :)

7. posted Oct 20, 2011 at 8:58 pm

This confirms it…I NEED a donut pan soon! This look amazing!

8. posted Oct 20, 2011 at 9:00 pm

Beautiful! I am excited to use my doughnut pan for the first time. Thanks for the recipe. :)

9. posted Oct 20, 2011 at 9:53 pm

They look amazing I must admit donuts with sprinkles are my favorite I can not wait to try this recipe!

10. posted Oct 20, 2011 at 11:36 pm

These look just like those yummy chocolate cake donuts you can get at the gas station!! I am saving this recipe and as soon as I get a donut pan I will be trying it!

11. posted Oct 21, 2011 at 12:20 am

Yum…. fabulous looking donuts.

12. posted Oct 21, 2011 at 2:52 am

Totally delicious looking! Thanks for the recipe!

13. posted Oct 21, 2011 at 3:34 pm

Hey Doll, Just wanted to let you know that I am featuring this recipe
    today at Frugalicious Me! Thanks for sharing!!! I can’t make them!

14. posted Oct 21, 2011 at 5:22 pm

Oh how yummy these look! I don’t have a donut pan yet, but maybe I should get one!

15. posted Oct 21, 2011 at 11:37 pm

Wow, these look good! I love the fact that they’re baked. Bookmarked to try!

16. posted Oct 22, 2011 at 12:11 am

AWESOME! My favorite donut is the chocolate cake donuts fr DD’s and these look just like them! And they’re baked! yay!

17. posted Oct 22, 2011 at 3:09 am

Those donuts are so cute and yummy-looking!:)

18. Amy
    posted Oct 23, 2011 at 10:14 am

I really need a donut pan…

Thanks for linking up at A Little Nosh this week!

19. Amy
    posted Oct 23, 2011 at 11:53 am

I’m featuring these this weekend because they’re just begging me to make them.

Amy @ A Little Nosh

20. posted Oct 23, 2011 at 12:35 pm

I just got some donut pans and can’t wait to try your recipe! My oldest has a severe peanut allergy so finding safe donuts is almost impossible. I’ll have some of these ready for him when he gets back from Scout camp today! You’ve made a 12 year old’s day!

So happy that I came across your blog. Can’t wait to check it out more. :)

21. posted Oct 23, 2011 at 7:13 pm

Pinned these. They look SO yummy! And I love baked donuts!

Hopping over from Something Swanky pinterest blog hop! I love finding new blogs. I’m your newest follower on here – I can’t resist a good food, (especially treats!) blog and I’m following your boards on pinterest. I even saw you have repinned one my my recipes! :) Hope you’ll stop by and follow me too at!

22. posted Oct 23, 2011 at 7:29 pm

These look like the perfect recipe for my doughnut pan! My kids will love them!

23. Anonymous
    posted Oct 24, 2011 at 10:22 am

Those look delicious. Now I need a doughnut pan!

24. posted Oct 24, 2011 at 6:21 pm

I’ve been looking for a good chocolate dounut recipe for my pan. I’m pinning this!

25. posted Oct 25, 2011 at 9:35 pm

Thank you! I LOVE chocolate donuts! Now I need to buy a donut pan.

26. posted Oct 25, 2011 at 11:21 pm

I LOVE LOVE LOVE doughnuts too. These look AH-mazing!!!! Thanks for sharing!

27. posted Oct 26, 2011 at 1:29 am

These look seriously good! :) Yum!

28. posted Oct 26, 2011 at 2:20 pm

Yummmy..This is so it..I found you over at Wow me Wed and had to stop in..Officially following ya with smiles..Great blog you have here with tons of creativity..Hope u can visit me sometime via TY.
    PS: Project Pink Blog Link Party is this weekend the 30th, would love for you to join over 50+ bloggers go PINK for breast cancer..You can find out more here..Wishing u a great week..

29. posted Oct 26, 2011 at 5:42 pm

I need a donut pan – I really want to make these!

30. posted Oct 27, 2011 at 5:27 pm

These look so yummy! Thanks for linking up! I’m featuring them on the blog tomorrow!

Reasons To Skip The Housework {The Blog}
    Tinker B Boutique {The Shop}

31. posted Oct 29, 2011 at 2:00 am

I baked these the other night with my kids and they were a HIT!! :) Two thumbs up all around.

I hope you don’t mind but I’ve posted the recipe on my blog and also added a link back to your original recipe. Thanks again for a great recipe. :)

32. posted Nov 2, 2011 at 8:06 pm

These look amazing! I’m picky with donuts – chocolate cake and blueberry cake donuts are the only kind I really like. I bet these would be amazing with a pumpkiny glaze on top!

Stopping by from This Chick Cooks (a little late!)

33. posted Nov 7, 2011 at 8:40 pm

Well… I bought myself a donut pan and made these great doughnuts…They were great, notice I said “were” because they are all gone! Thank you for the recipe.

34. posted Nov 7, 2011 at 9:16 pm

@ Scsanders82- So glad you enjoyed them!

35. Elizabeth
    posted Jan 7, 2012 at 7:24 pm

The donuts are the best! I shared them with the boys, and with people at work, and they all were blown away. Thanks for sharing such an awesome recipe with us!

• posted Aug 2, 2012 at 8:24 pm

Glad you enjoyed them!

36. Liz
    posted Jan 16, 2012 at 2:31 pm

Great blog.
    I have been making doughnuts with my doughnut pan for awhile and I have tried several recipes. All have tasted pretty good, but they all just seem to be cupcakes in the shape of doughnuts. So obivioiulsy, they taste good, but not really like a doughnut.
    Anyone else agree?
    I will try this recipe to see

• Jen
      posted Oct 10, 2013 at 4:24 pm

So what was your consensus on these? Were they a cupcake texture or a dense real chocolate cake donut texture? I’m trying to find a chocolate recipe that is a true cake donut recipe not the light fluffy kind.

37. posted Jul 20, 2012 at 4:47 pm

I’m making these for a party this weekend, they look great! Can they be made a day ahead?!

38. Nikki P.
    posted Aug 2, 2012 at 3:48 pm

Just made these this morning in a mini version for my son and my niece! They were in HEAVEN! I didn’t have heavy cream so I used Vanilla Caramel Coffee Creamer and I used Milk Chocolate Chips. They are amazing! Thank you so much for the inspiration! =0)

• posted Aug 2, 2012 at 8:23 pm

I’m so glad you enjoyed them! I love that you used coffee creamer, I’ve done that too! YUM.

39. posted Aug 2, 2012 at 5:35 pm

How could I replace the eggs to make them vegan? Any suggestions would be great:)

• posted Aug 2, 2012 at 8:22 pm

I’ve heard that you can replace eggs with bananas or applesauce in a pinch. You could try that?!

40. Anonymous
    posted Aug 13, 2012 at 12:12 pm

Love your blog!
    This will be the first recipe I’ll try and I am excited to do so.
    What type or flour should I use for this? Cake Flour or All-Purpose Flour?

• posted Aug 13, 2012 at 12:28 pm

Hi Trish,
      Use all purpose flour! ENJOY!

• posted Aug 14, 2012 at 10:43 am

Thanks so much, Aimee.
      I will try your recipe tomorrow and will let you know how it turns out. Thank you for sharing your wonderful recipes and ideas to so many.

• Anonymous
      posted Aug 15, 2012 at 11:40 am

I tried your recipe today and it did not disappoint. Its really a good base recipe. Cakey but moist. Thank you!!!

– Trish

41. posted Aug 30, 2012 at 6:14 pm

I spent the whole day looking for a baked Doughnut recipe to use in my new doughnut pan
    and now I find this while I was looking totally for something else
    am trying this tomorrow for sure
    thanks a lot

42. posted Nov 8, 2012 at 5:18 pm

I just made these and they are FABULOUS!! Thanks for sharing, Ill definitely be following you now since we share a love of donuts :)

43. Anonymous
    posted Feb 10, 2013 at 2:21 am

I made these today and they were absolutely disgusting. It was a waste of ingredients and after taking one bite of the hard little rocks I threw the rest out. Stick with dunkin donuts and don’t waste your time!

• posted Feb 10, 2013 at 8:09 am

I’m sorry you didn’t enjoy the chocolate donuts. I wonder if maybe there was a mistake in reading the ingredients? I’ve been making these for a couple years (as have many others) with no problems!

44. posted Apr 16, 2013 at 10:54 pm

I finally made these, Aimee, and I can’t believe how easy AND tasty they are! Great recipe. I posted them tonight!

45. Shannan
    posted May 17, 2013 at 3:30 pm

Have you ever used the mini-donut pan for any of your donuts? I can’t wait to try some of you recipes!

46. Patricia
    posted Sep 9, 2013 at 11:11 am

These donuts was delish.Only change I made was used a mini muffin pan.I don’t have a donut pan(on the shopping list). But tasted amazing.Mini donut muffins.I still put them in the glaze and sprinkles.Kids loved them.

47. posted Nov 11, 2013 at 2:57 pm

3/4 cup plus 2tbsp milk? Please elaborate

48. Mamaof8
    posted Dec 17, 2013 at 2:16 pm

Would this recipe work in a donut maker? I have one that I lost the instructions for. I would love to try this recipe out in it!! Looks amazing!!!

49. Rachel
    posted Jan 31, 2014 at 9:32 am

My kids loved these! We were able to get about 18 donuts out of your recipe. So good! We love the Vanilla Bean donuts as well.

• posted Jan 31, 2014 at 3:24 pm

So glad to hear! Thanks for stopping by and letting me know!

50. Pingback: Bread & Butter Basket Company | Bread and Butter Basket Co.Bread and Butter Basket Co | The Year of the Gourmet Donut

51. Pingback: Chocolate Glazed Donut Holes - Shugary Sweets

52. Sarah Endris
    posted May 26, 2014 at 8:37 am

I just want to say that this morning I had a donut craving so I made the vanilla bean donuts with this chocolate glaze. Every time I make one of your donut recipes they come out perfect. The glaze was amazing and set on the donuts perfectly.

53. posted May 28, 2014 at 9:36 pm

These donuts looked perfect, i was so inspired, obsessed to be exact, to make even when i don’t have donut pan myself. Took a little imagination and was finally able to try this recipe.

54. Pingback: Recipe: Baked Chocolate Doughnuts with Chocolate Icing

55. Kim
    posted Sep 8, 2014 at 4:15 am

sweet mother of god these are good! I just made them, (somewhat to the recipe) and they are AMAZING. All I did different was leave out the baking powder ( I didn’t have any) and substituted the milk with chocolate soy milk ( I’m not lactose intolerant I just like it better) and I’m in love!
    P.S. I used a Wilton doughnut pan and it made exactly 12 doughnuts.

• posted Sep 10, 2014 at 4:36 pm

Haha, so glad you enjoyed the recipe! I enjoyed your comment :)

56. Pingback: Sunday Januray 11, 2015 | jeyliz

57. Teresa
    posted May 20, 2015 at 4:09 pm

I’ve had this recipe bookmarked for awhile, but just got around to trying them today. OH MY! They are so delicious! I don’t normally have cream on hand so I used a little more milk in the icing instead & it came out perfect. I think they’d be great with a simple milk/powdered sugar glaze too. Thank you for the new addition to my recipe binder!

• posted May 21, 2015 at 8:19 am

Thanks for letting me know Teresa!! So glad you enjoyed the recipe (and yes, I’ve used milk instead of cream too!!)