Pumpkin Butter

by aimee @ shugarysweets on October 4, 2011

I love a good food challenge. Especially when it involves pumpkin. I had been having the shakes lately, and realized it’s because I have been in pumpkin withdrawal. However, all was calmed when I went to my friend Jen’s house to sample some pumpkin butter. Sweet, creamy pumpkin butter. Spread it on a graham cracker, a piece of toast, or drop a dollop onto some yogurt or oatmeal.

Back to the challenge. I’m cheap. I see a jar of pumpkin butter, and think to myself, “I can make that.” My version definitely has more spice in it, which is the way I prefer my pumpkin treats!

Just a warning though, this needs about 24 hours to make. I made in the morning, refrigerated it the rest of the day and overnight, and by breakfast…oh wow, the flavors were amazing! The best part? It makes 2 pint sized jars (plus a little extra). You can give one away as a gift (if you’re not too greedy)!! Yes, Jen, I have a jar for you!

Pumpkin Butter Recipe:

29 oz can pumpkin puree
3/4 cup apple cider
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 tsp nutmeg
2 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground cloves
2 tsp ground ginger
In large saucepan mix all ingredients together. On medium heat, bring mixture to a boil. Continue to simmer (on low-medium) heat for one hour, stirring occasionally.
Remove from heat and allow to cool. Pour into mason jars and refrigerate for 12-24 hours. Enjoy cold!

*note*  Do not attempt to “can” this recipe as I know there are USDA/FDA/CNN/MSNBC/LOL rules about canning pumpkin. So just don’t do it.

Linked To:
Tasty Tuesdays   Tasty Tuesdays   Totally Tasty Tuesdays   What I Made   Wow Me Weds   Cast Party
I’m Lovin It

Jaymie Pollak October 4, 2011 at 12:39 pm

Thank you!

Love,
A fellow pumpkin freak

Aimee October 4, 2011 at 12:44 pm

Thanks Jaymie! Miss you guys!

Jocelyn October 4, 2011 at 12:44 pm

It makes me so happy to see that you are just as obsessed about pumpkin as me. Pumpkin butter is one of my all time favorites, but can you believe I didn’t make it this year? I changed it up a bit and made a different “butter”…one of these days I will post it:-)

Angie October 4, 2011 at 1:18 pm

I love pumpkin butter!! The perfect fall and winter treat for breakfast.

Ali October 4, 2011 at 2:06 pm

How smart! Those little tiny jars of pumpkin butter are so expensive. These would be great for giving out treats to friends.

Oh – and HI!! I have been absolutely terrible about visiting blogs the past few weeks. I hope you are doing good :D

Mo 'Betta October 4, 2011 at 3:53 pm

Awesome. I’m obsessed with pumpkin and had no idea this was so easy to make! Putting this on my list :)

Anne @ Quick and Easy Cheap and Healthy October 4, 2011 at 5:56 pm

I’ve definitely got to try pumpkin butter!

Aimee October 4, 2011 at 7:28 pm

Hi Ali!!
Mo- it is so easy, you must try it
Anne- yummy, easy, healthy. Well, except the sugar part. But for me this is a healthy recipe :)

Allison October 4, 2011 at 8:56 pm

I am a fellow pumpkin addict. This looks great. I have actually been making cocktails with apple and pumpkin butter and they are delicious so, I should definitely try your version. I love lots of spice.

Aleks October 5, 2011 at 2:16 pm

delicious!!! does this need to stay refrigerated? im going to make it tomorrow, and want to mail a jar or two.

Aimee October 5, 2011 at 2:26 pm

Aleks- I do keep it refrigerated. Because you can’t “can” pumpkin butter safely, I’m not sure how well it would mail.

Lisa October 7, 2011 at 7:10 am

I would so love a jar of this. I’d spread it over everything.

Fayeabell February 2, 2013 at 1:20 pm

This look really yummy!!! What if i cant find a can of pumpkin puree, could i just put pumpkins in the blender? I would love to try and do this. Thank you. Im enjoying browsing through your recipes :)

aimee @ shugarysweets February 2, 2013 at 2:37 pm

I’m not sure how to make homemade pumpkin puree, to be honest. I assume it would be fine, but I know the canned stuff seems thicker than what a homemade puree would be.

Christina October 10, 2013 at 4:33 pm

I don’t know if it’s just me but your pics seem to be broken or lost so I can’t pin the recipe

Ruth October 23, 2013 at 5:02 pm

I made pumpkin butter a couple weeks ago, had jars and lids HOT and poured it into the jars, they sealed so I don’t know why you say you can’t can pumpkin, I buy pumpkin butter in a jar, I don’t get it.

aimee @ shugarysweets October 23, 2013 at 5:14 pm

Hi Ruth,
Here is an article about why NOT to can pumpkin butter at home: http://foodinjars.com/2010/10/canning-101-why-pumpkin-butter-cant-be-canned/