Chocolate Cake with Mint Chocolate Chip Frosting

Mint Chocolate Chip Cake: from scratch chocolate cake with mint chocolate chip frosting

This may have been one of the very best chocolate cakes I have ever eaten. I may, or may not, have eaten nearly a fourth of this cake on my own.

Last week my son, Alex, celebrated his 15th birthday. And while many of you on facebook said I don’t look old enough, well, you’re right.

However, fact remains, my baby boy will be driving by this time next year, and it scares the wits out of me (and it should scare the rest of you on the road too)! Of all four of my kids, this childbirth is the one I recollect to the minute detail. Don’t worry, I won’t bore you all with those details, it was just a thought I had. You would think I would remember the details about the baby who is only 7, however, every year I need to look up in her baby book to find her birth time. I know. Crazy.

For Alex’s birthday he chose to have PF Chang’s for dinner. Which was actually a relief since his birthday was the day before Thanksgiving and I was in no mood to cook dinner.

However, I had fun surprising him with this cake. His favorite ice cream is mint chocolate chip.
*this cake was made with NO ice cream.

The frosting on this cake tasted like melted mint chocolate chip ice cream, it was so fantastic. And I think two thumbs up means he approved! Happy Birthday ALEX!!!

Chocolate Cake with Mint Chocolate Chip Frosting

• 1/2 cup brewed coffee, cooled
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1 cup butter, softened
  • 8 cup powdered sugar
  • 1/2 tsp peppermint extract
  • 1/2 cup milk plus 2 Tbsp
  • 11 oz dark chocolate chunks (62%cacao)
  • 1/8 tsp green food coloring gel
  • 1 maraschino cherry
  • 3/4 cup heavy cream
  • 1 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate morsels
  • 1/4 tsp peppermint extract

1. In medium bowl, sift cocoa with flour, salt, baking soda and baking powder. Set aside.
  2. In measuring cup, mix coffee and milk together. Set aside.
  3. In mixer, beat butter and sugar for about 5 minutes until smooth. Beat in eggs one at a time. Slowly add in dry ingredients alternating with the coffee/milk blend (I do about 3 additions of each).
  4. Pour cake batter into two prepared pans (two 9inch cake pans lined with parchment paper and then greased and floured). Bake in a 350 degree oven for about 25 minutes. Remove and allow to cool about 10 minutes before removing from pans. Cool completely before frosting.
  5. For frosting, in food processor, pulse dark chocolate until small bits (not powder)! Set aside.
  6. In mixer, beat butter, powdered sugar and milk for 3-5 minutes, until smooth and creamy. Remove one or scoops of frosting, to look like the whipped cream on the cake. Add in extract and food coloring gel to remaining frosting. Mix until fully blended. Add more milk if necessary to desired consistency. Fold in chopped dark chocolate.
  7. Frost first layer of cake, then top it with second layer. Completely frost sides and top of cake. With remaining green frosting, scoop several scoops on top of cake to look like ice cream.
  8. With the reserved white frosting, place in ziploc bag and cut of corner. Pipe onto top of cake to resemble whipped cream.
  9. For the ganache, heat 3/4 cup heavy cream in saucepan. Bring just to a boil and remove from heat. In food processor, pour chocolate chips and slowly add in hot cream and extract. Process chocolate and cream for about 2-3 minutes until completely combined. Pour over chocolate cake and top with a cherry. Enjoy!
  10. ( cake recipe lightly adapted from David Lebovitz and inspired by Raspberri Cupcakes)

33 Responses to “Chocolate Cake with Mint Chocolate Chip Frosting”

1. posted Nov 29, 2011 at 12:13 pm

I will take a huge giant piece of this please:-) This looks divine with all that chocolate ganache poured on top!!!!!

2. posted Nov 29, 2011 at 1:44 pm

a) This cake looks DIVINE!
    b) I can not believe Alex is 15!!
    c) how old was he the last time I saw him? It’s been SO LONG!!

3. posted Nov 29, 2011 at 1:47 pm

Heather, he was probably really little the last time. Maybe your dad’s birthday party in Wisconsin? Oh my that was a long time ago!

4. posted Nov 29, 2011 at 3:27 pm

Oh yum. Between your cake and Jocelyn’s donuts, I’m totally wishing I lived near one of you so I could come gobble it up! Thanks for linking up to TTT each week. I look forward to what you bring :)

5. posted Nov 29, 2011 at 3:34 pm

Holy cow…this looks SO GOOD. Thanks for the recipie and the 5 extra pounds I’m going to gain!!

6. posted Nov 29, 2011 at 3:44 pm

that is really cool looking, i kept thinking to myself, if it doesn’t have any ice cream, how did she get a chocolate cake GREEN!! then i got it! (FROSTING!!!) duh!

7. posted Nov 29, 2011 at 6:06 pm

So you and your twin are starting to freak me out with your posts… lol!! I am beginning to think you guys are planning everything…

8. posted Nov 29, 2011 at 6:14 pm

Liz- haha! This was totally not planned!

9. posted Nov 29, 2011 at 6:41 pm

You definitely werent kidding when you said on Facebook you were making your son an awesome birthday cake! This sounds and looks amazing Aimee! You win #1 Mom award! :)

10. posted Nov 29, 2011 at 6:44 pm

@Holly- thanks!

11. posted Nov 29, 2011 at 7:55 pm

This looks amazing!! I make a mint chocolate chip cupcake that is similar, but the ganache on top of your cake just takes it over the top. I must try this :)

12. posted Nov 29, 2011 at 8:16 pm

Happy Birthday to your son! This cake looks dangerous, and very delicious!

13. posted Nov 29, 2011 at 8:47 pm

something different, indeed. looks delish.

14. posted Nov 29, 2011 at 9:22 pm

This cake is gorgeous! I honestly thought you’d frosted it with mint chocolate chip ice cream somehow, hah. Happy Birthday to him!

15. posted Nov 30, 2011 at 12:02 pm

I would so love this cake on my birthday! Lucky Boy! Mint Chocolate Chip is my favorite ice cream!!

16. posted Nov 30, 2011 at 1:23 pm

Looks super yummy!! Thanks for sharing on 2 Maids a baking!!

17. posted Dec 1, 2011 at 6:23 am

Found you via link party and this looks so delish! I did a double take to realize it was indeed cake. I can’t wait to try this! Pinned for you as well.

18. posted Dec 1, 2011 at 1:36 pm

This sounds DELICIOUS. I love your blog. I’m your newest follower.
    Would love to see you DIY Home Sweet home.

P.S. I have a linky every Monday. Would love for you to stop by and link up.

19. posted Dec 1, 2011 at 10:34 pm

This cake looks soooooooooo good!
    I’d really like to taste it

20. posted Dec 2, 2011 at 6:49 pm

That looks so good it doesn’t look REAL!!! My gawsh!

Stopping by from Tasty Tuesday

21. posted Dec 3, 2011 at 11:27 pm

Typing as I drool…just shared your cake pic w/my hubs. We’re lovin’ it. haha! Your son is adorable too. I’m off to become your newest follower! :)

22. posted Dec 5, 2011 at 4:19 am

I love the way this cake looks! In fact I love all your recipes. I however do not like coffee flavor any suggestions on replacing the coffee or just leave it out?

23. posted Dec 5, 2011 at 10:29 pm

My kids would flip for this — major mint chocolate chip fanatics!

This week’s “A Little Birdie Told Me…” feature theme is Peppermint, so look for your post to be included in the yummy lineup!

24. Becky
    posted Mar 9, 2013 at 3:52 pm

I made this today for my husband’s birthday. It was amazing! Thank you so much for the recipe! It turned out perfectly.

25. posted Apr 8, 2013 at 7:24 pm

I was just searching for this information for a while. After six hours of continuous Googleing, at last I got it in your website. I wonder what’s the lack of Google strategy that don’t rank this type of informative websites in top of the list. Usually the top web sites are full of garbage.

26. posted Apr 16, 2013 at 1:49 pm

This looks delicious! I will be making your cake this week for a baby shower at work! The mother-to-be loves mint chocolate desserts! Hopefully I can pull it off! :)

27. Pingback: Mint Chocolate Chip Cake Mess | CraftFail

28. posted Jul 5, 2014 at 5:29 pm

So i don’t like mint in a large quantity,but wow! that green color is so beautiful!

29. posted Dec 2, 2014 at 8:59 pm

I just want to say I am very new to blogging and site-building and really liked you’re blog. Most likely I’m going to bookmark your blog post . You actually have impressive articles. Cheers for sharing with us your blog site.

30. Pingback: Vanilla Funfetti Cake - Shugary Sweets

31. posted Jun 22, 2015 at 12:35 am

This was simply delicious!!! I changed the recipe to cupcakes since that is easier for my family when I made it for Father’s Day and everyone devoured it! I did add a little extra peppermint extra and green food coloring since neither were strong enough for our tastes. I also made it gluten free by replacing the flour with Better Batter and no one could tell the difference. All in all though, this recipe is 100%!! Make it NOW!

• posted Jun 22, 2015 at 9:14 am

Thanks for the sweet comment and letting my readers know your tweaks and tips!!