Cranberry Orange Muffins

by aimee @ shugarysweets on January 6, 2012

Do you love my new blog design? yeah, me too! Thanks to Ashton over at Something Swanky! You can visit her etsy shop and get your own very reasonably priced custom blog! She is awesome. Just sayin.

Now, to the muffins. (look at the beautiful color inside, yummm).
January and February are very busy months for us, especially in terms of kids sports. My two youngest daughters do basketball and cheerleading, and my oldest daughter’s swim team is heading towards regionals. Which means, we need some on the go breakfast food.
Enter these delicious muffins. I make half the batch with the crunchy topping, and the other half without. Of course with my sweet tooth I love the extra crumbly sugar on top. However, I realize it’s January and we all need to cut out some sugar somewhere, haha!!
My grandma sent me a pretty plant today as a thank you for hosting Christmas…
Speaking of plants, my inspiration for these muffins came from my yearly vase of holiday flowers. Just using an empty carafe, I fill it with 12oz fresh cranberries and a sliced up orange. Add flowers, water and you have a beautiful centerpiece.
Using my delicious moist Blueberry Muffin recipe as a base, I set out to make some muffins. I also used vanilla sugar to give them some depth in flavor, you can find my recipe HERE. If you don’t have vanilla sugar, just use granulated sugar. And then go make yourself some vanilla sugar for future baking. I keep a mason jar filled at all times, you can add more sugar to your existing beans several times before replacing the beans. And go do this today, because next week I have a recipe for Valentine’s cookies that you will definitely want to bake and they use vanilla sugar.

Cranberry Orange Muffins
by Shugary Sweets
Cook Time: 22-25 minutes
Keywords: bake bread breakfast cranberry orange
Ingredients (4 dozen regular sized (2 dozen)
    FOR THE MUFFINS:
    • 1 cup butter, softened
    • 2 cup vanilla sugar (or gran.sugar)
    • 4 eggs
    • 1/2 tsp orange extract
    • 1 orange, zested
    • 3 cup flour
    • 1 tsp baking soda
    • 1/2 tsp baking powder
    • 1/2 tsp kosher salt
    • 3.4 oz pkg instant vanilla pudding (not sugar free)
    • 1 cup milk (I used skim)
    • 12oz fresh cranberries
    FOR THE TOPPING:
    • 1/2 cup quick oats
    • 1/4 cup butter, softened
    • 1/2 cup brown sugar
    • 1/4 cup flour
    • 1 orange, zested
    For the muffins, cream butter and vanilla sugar for about 3 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time. Beat in orange extract and zest (about 1 tsp zest).
    In separate bowl, mix flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and pudding mix.
    Add milk and flour mixure alternately, about 3 additions of each. Fold in cranberries.
    For the topping, mix all ingredients with a fork until crumbly. Set aside.
    Grease or line muffin tins, fill them 3/4 full if not using the topping, and a little less if putting the topping on the muffins. If using the crumb topping, sprinkle 1-2 Tbsp of topping on each muffin, pressing in slightly. Try not to spill excess on pans.
    Bake in a 350 degree preheated oven. Recipe makes 2 dozen jumbo muffins, or 4 dozen regular sized. These muffins freeze very well. Bake jumbo muffins for 27-30 minutes, and regular sized for 22-25 minutes.
    Powered by Recipage

**If you enjoyed this recipe, you may also enjoy
    Cranberry Orange Cake Donuts by Lauren’s Latest
    Cranberry Orange Scones by Peanut Butter and Peppers

Julie @ Table for Two January 6, 2012 at 1:32 pm

You’re a woman after my heart. I love cranberry and orange. No doubt, every time I go to a breakfast place and they have cranberry orange as an option for a muffin or scone — I get it! I would love to make these sometime so I don’t have to keep spending the money on that in stores and have it homemade ;)

Heather January 6, 2012 at 1:34 pm

i LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE that centerpiece idea. SO FESTIVE!

also – “make vanilla sugar” is now on the to-do list for the weekend.
    and can i call it vanilla Shugar? ;)

Hilliary@ Happily Ever Healthy January 6, 2012 at 1:48 pm

Love the centerpiece. And thees muffins look delicious. Cranberry and orange is one of my favorite muffin flavors!

michael ann January 6, 2012 at 1:53 pm

These look and sound wonderful!! I have a recipe but this one looks good with the pudding inside and the crunchy topping!

Jocelyn January 6, 2012 at 2:02 pm

I have never had a cranberry orange muffin…but after seeing how good yours look…I need to remedy that. Or I can just have you bake me up some:-) Shopping fuel right?

Aarthi January 6, 2012 at 2:57 pm

This looks yummy..You have made it awesome.

Aarthi

bananamondaes January 6, 2012 at 3:09 pm

Those pink bursts of cranberry are beautiful!

Peggy January 6, 2012 at 9:02 pm

Love the new look of the website! And these muffins sound super delicious – and I love the inspiration for them (such a crafty piece!)

peanutbutterandpeppers.com January 7, 2012 at 12:36 pm

Amazing! I saw Cranberry orange and I had to open the link! These look so good! I also love the look of your blog! I’m going to check out Something Swanky!!

Lizzy Do January 7, 2012 at 1:21 pm

Mmmmm….I love cranberry orange bread, so the muffins just provide portion control! They look delicious!

Amalia January 7, 2012 at 7:08 pm

Cranberry and orange are definitely one of the best combinations out there! These look so delicious and moist, I love muffins! And like you said, they’re perfect on the go. Oh, and I love that vase with the cranberries and orange slice in it, it looks beautiful! :)

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga January 7, 2012 at 7:32 pm

These are so pretty and they look so moist!

I just made cranberry and orange and mango chutney yesterday. Love cran and oranges.

sue @ cakeballs, cookies and more January 7, 2012 at 11:37 pm

this sounds so good!

Georgie January 8, 2012 at 12:03 am

Love the two flavors of orange and cranberry – I could add them to anything and everything! Nice meeting you through #citruslove!

Magic of Spice January 8, 2012 at 12:18 am

Your new design is quite beautiful as are these wonderful muffins!

Baking Addict January 8, 2012 at 12:31 am

Its my first time here so I can’t tell you if the new design looks better but it does look great! I love orange and cranberry and these look amazing!

savoringeverybite January 8, 2012 at 1:24 am

Cranberry and orange muffins sound fabulous! The texture looks soft and popping with flavor!

Lisa January 8, 2012 at 1:34 am

Cranberry and oranges are so perfectly paired together. I agree with Linda the texture of the muffins looks so terrific and looks like they are popping with flavor! visiting from citrus bloghop! :)

www.you-made-that.com January 8, 2012 at 2:43 am

I love cranberries and oranges together in baked good and the flower vase too. I do the same thing each year it is so beautiful.

Laura at The Art of Cooking Real Food January 8, 2012 at 3:42 am

Cranberry and orange is a delicious combination. Your muffins look so yummy!

Allison January 8, 2012 at 9:27 am

Aimee! There is so much awesomenesss in this post I don’t even know where to begin! The new design, the muffins,the beautiful vase you kill me I love it all!

Sylvia@peaches and donuts January 8, 2012 at 10:48 am

love the colours and flavours in this wonderful muffin!

Cake January 8, 2012 at 6:01 pm

I love the addition of orange to anything cranberry related – I make a similar fruit bread! Gorgeous colors. A great addition to the #citruslove bloghop!

Shulie January 9, 2012 at 1:45 am

Gorgeous muffins. One of my favorite combinations and I got a bag of cranberries in the freezer. Can’t wait to make it. Happy blog hopping!

Terra January 9, 2012 at 9:04 pm

Your muffins look wonderful, I love using fresh cranberries! And your new design looks simply beautiful! I love love the vase for your centerpiece, what a great idea! Hugs, Terra

Baker Street January 11, 2012 at 2:54 am

Gorgeous muffins! So vibrant. And Cranberry and Orange is an all time favorite.

Six Sisters January 13, 2012 at 1:01 am

These muffins look so great! Thank you for linking up to Strut Your Stuff Saturday. We would love to have you come back next Saturday and share more of your incredible ideas. -The Sisters

vicki reinert July 15, 2014 at 3:16 pm

One of the RN’s in my office has a birthday this Friday. This is her favorite dessert. Sooooooo, I’ll stop off to buy some pudding on the way home from work tomorrow and bake these for her. Thanks,

aimee @ shugarysweets July 15, 2014 at 9:05 pm