Hot Chocolate with Peppermint Whipped Cream

Homemade Hot Cocoa recipe with homemade frozen peppermint whipped cream hearts

It snowed here. Well, actually it iced here. I’m talking sleet falling from the sky. Was the craziest thing ever. Of course today it’s 56 degrees.

I love hot chocolate when it’s cold. But to be honest, I had never made it from scratch. It’s never sweet enough for me. I like Swiss Miss. Okay?

But, I saw this recipe from Paula Deen, the queen of sweet, and thought I would give it a whirl. I did change it up a little bit for my own liking, but OH yummmm. Goodbye Swiss Miss!

And the cream? I whipped up a batch of this and stuck it in the freezer overnight. Then used a cute cookie cutter to make the heart shape. Stick all the cutouts into a freezer safe Ziploc bag, and you now have a giant bag of frozen cream puffs to last many winter days! I whipped in some peppermint extract, but that’s totally optional!

And for the pictures? Did I tell you it was sleeting here? And dark, and dreary. Sorry for the dark dreary pictures!! Oh let the sun shine again please!

Hot Chocolate with Peppermint Whipped Cream

Yield: 8-10 servings

For the Cocoa:
  • 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/4 tsp kosher salt
  • 1 cup whole milk
  • 6 cup water
  • For the Whipped Cream:
  • 2 cup heavy cream
  • 1/3 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 tsp peppermint extract (optional)

1. For the frozen whipped cream, beat together the cream and sugar (and extract) until stiff peaks form. Takes several minutes. Pour whipped cream onto a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Spread evenly. Cover with plastic wrap and freeze 4 hours or overnight.
  2. For the hot cocoa, whisk together the condensed milk and cocoa powder over medium heat. Slowly whisk in the vanilla, salt and whole milk. Heat until warm, but do not boil. Whisk in water and continue to heat over medium heat until desired temperature. DO NOT BOIL.
  3. When ready to serve, use a small cookie cutter to cut frozen whipped cream. Pour cocoa in a mug with a couple dollops of cream. Enjoy! (adapted from Paula Deen)

15 Responses to “Hot Chocolate with Peppermint Whipped Cream”

1. posted Jan 23, 2012 at 8:25 pm

Frozen whipped cream is such a cool idea :) For myself, I would omit the peppermint, bu this sounds fantastic otherwise! :)

2. posted Jan 23, 2012 at 9:05 pm

I’ve been seeing tutorials for this frozen whipped cream around the Internet, but have yet to try it for myself. I love your peppermint version!

3. posted Jan 23, 2012 at 10:11 pm

I love the idea of the peppermint whipped cream! I think your pictures are nice. Many thanks for sharing.

4. posted Jan 24, 2012 at 12:54 am

Oh yum. That looks terrific! I would definitely add the peppermint too! Come visit. We have a wonderful chili recipe today!

5. posted Jan 24, 2012 at 1:09 am

Well, who could resist this treat???

6. posted Jan 24, 2012 at 5:25 am

I would love to have this hot chocolate, it’s really cold in here

7. posted Jan 24, 2012 at 12:07 pm

I would love to have a bag full of frozen whipped yumminess lurking in my freezer!!! What a fun treat to prepare while the kids are outside playing in the snow!!!

8. posted Jan 24, 2012 at 2:32 pm

Delicious…Totally Yummy..

9. posted Jan 24, 2012 at 3:07 pm

I have never made hot chocolate from scratch either, but I should. I normally stick to my Swiss Miss, it’s quick easy and oh so good!

10. posted Jan 24, 2012 at 3:25 pm

Goodness, how cute is this!! Not to mention yummy! I love the heart whipped cream idea SO much, too. :)

11. posted Jan 24, 2012 at 6:37 pm

I love the idea of cutting out the frozen shapes. Thanks for the inspiration! I started a link party at my blog and I’d love for you to link this up. If you’re interested it’s Have a lovely day, Maria

12. posted Jan 24, 2012 at 10:03 pm

Great idea. Cold weather is supposed to hit us later this week. Right now it’s 65 degrees though. Anyway, I found your blog last week, and have been stalking it mercilessly for recipes. Thank you. Great blog.

13. posted Jan 25, 2012 at 3:52 am

Oh My this sounds absolutely delicious!!! Definitely bookmarking this recipe and when I move back to freezing Utah in March I am so making this!!!

14. Pingback: Slow Cooker Egg Nog Hot Cocoa - Shugary Sweets

15. Donna
    posted Mar 1, 2015 at 10:50 am

THIS….genius idea!…I’m already thinking of making coffee drinks with cut-out whipped-cream shapes using a bit of cinnamon & almond extract (or Amaretto)…or nutmeg & Frangelico…Thanks for such an amazing tip on what to do with left-over whipped cream!