Thumbprint Cookies with Cherry Buttercream Frosting

Thumbprint cookies with Cherry buttercream frosting

I tend to get obsessive when it comes to my baking. Whether it’s a pumpkin obsession, truffle obsession, or pink Valentine treats obsession. I take things a bit overboard. To the point where my family says to me, “another pink treat???”

Not that they are complaining, after all, these are quite tasty.

But it did get me thinking about cake. Are you all a whipped cream frosting or buttercream frosting type of people? I personally am buttercream. The more sugar the better. Not to say I would pass on a piece of cake with whipped cream frosting…oh no, not at all.

Now I want cake. With any frosting.
Thumbprint Cookies with Cherry Buttercream Frosting

For the cookie:
  • 11 Tbsp butter
  • 1/2 cup vanilla sugar (or granulated)
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1 1/2 cup flour
  • For the frosting:
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 1 3/4 cup powdered sugar
  • 4 Tbsp maraschino cherry juice
  • sprinkles

1. For the cookies, beat butter with vanilla sugar for 3-4 minutes. Add egg and salt. Beat in vanilla and flour. Cover dough with plastic wrap and chill in refrigerator for one hour.
  2. Roll dough into one inch balls. Place on parchment lined cookie sheet. Bake in 375 degree oven for 8-10 minutes. Remove from oven and immediately press small teaspoon to make an indent in the center of the cookie. Cool completely.
  3. For the frosting, beat butter, cherry juice and powdered sugar until creamy and desired consistency.
  4. Put frosting in a decorator bag with a star tip. Pipe frosting onto cookie indent and immediately decorate with sprinkles, if desired. Enjoy!
  5. (recipe adapted from BH&G)
**If you enjoyed this recipe, you may also enjoy….

Cherry Cordial Cookies by Inside BruCrew Life
Vanilla Bean and Cherry Swirled Icebox Cookies by Shugary Sweets

43 Responses to “Thumbprint Cookies with Cherry Buttercream Frosting”

1. posted Jan 11, 2012 at 11:52 am

I love that you get obsessed with a certain thing and then bake like crazy with it…probably because that is how I am too:-) Bring on the crazy overboard girls!!!!

These cookies are so adorable!!! They totally scream tea party to me!! The sprinkle heart on top? Love it!!!!

Cake??? I want some cake:-)

2. posted Jan 11, 2012 at 12:05 pm

Gorgeous!! Your piped filling looks so much prettier than the average thumbprints…great idea~

3. posted Jan 11, 2012 at 12:07 pm

these look so cute and festive and I will be posting pink food any day now, too!

4. posted Jan 11, 2012 at 1:42 pm

You jumped on the valentine’s day treat train! I haven’t done it yet, like I said I was going to haha..these look so cute and delicious! I love the bright pink sprinkle heart on top :)

5. posted Jan 11, 2012 at 2:22 pm

So festive with valentines day coming up! Your frosting looks perfect ( I need to work on my frosting ability)! Another great recipe!

6. posted Jan 11, 2012 at 3:57 pm

Are our brains doing an ESP thing or something? I just wrote my Birthday Cake Bark post on how I become obsessed with things… like right now, cake batter and Diet Coke.

Hey, our obsessions could be worse… or ugly. These cookies are definitely on the amazing and gorgeous end of the obsession spectrum 😉

7. posted Jan 11, 2012 at 4:14 pm

Mmm these look so delicious! I was wondering how you did the cherry flavoring — maraschino cheery juice! Brilliant!

8. posted Jan 11, 2012 at 4:49 pm

YUMMO..Thanks for the recipe..This looks mouthwatering..I have bookmarked it..

9. posted Jan 11, 2012 at 7:57 pm

What a delightful cookie! I am with you, buttercream all the way, and adding cherries to it sounds perfect.

10. posted Jan 11, 2012 at 8:29 pm

How cute and festive! I’d love for you to stop by and share at What’s Cooking Wednesday (! We meet each and every Wednesday, can’t wait to see you there :)

11. posted Jan 11, 2012 at 9:42 pm

Yum… I wish a had a whole plate of them!

12. posted Jan 12, 2012 at 12:14 am

I just found your blog and can I just tell you how excited I am!!! I am so looking forward to trying many of your recipes (we are making the chocolate peanut butter donuts tonight) and wanted to thank you for sharing your talent. Yum, everything looks so tasty! :)

13. posted Jan 12, 2012 at 2:19 am

Those cookies are beautiful. I know they taste even better! Come visit us. We have a great soup recipe and tomorrow roasted veges and pasta!

14. posted Jan 12, 2012 at 2:23 am

These are so cute!! And they look delicious too. Now I want cookies…. and frosting… lots of frosting

15. posted Jan 12, 2012 at 1:03 pm

Cookies are very pretty and never to soon to start baking especially cookies. Love Love and I will take any type of icing. andi

16. posted Jan 12, 2012 at 1:51 pm

These are beautiful! Almost too pretty to eat. Almost.

17. posted Jan 12, 2012 at 10:46 pm

What beautiful cookies and perfect for Valentines! I would love you to come visit me at

Thanks! The Farm Girl

18. posted Jan 13, 2012 at 2:29 am

These are beautiful! I love the pink. :)

19. posted Jan 13, 2012 at 2:30 pm

These are precious! So dainty and pretty, On my list to make now! Pinned it!

20. posted Jan 14, 2012 at 3:42 am

These are darling! If they taste half as good as they look, they must be marvelous.

21. posted Jan 14, 2012 at 4:13 am

I’m sure one cannot have to many pink treats! My little granddaughters would love these.

22. posted Jan 14, 2012 at 1:07 pm

You have the most amazing site your pictures are awesome too…..I’d love for you to share some of your beautiful sweets over @CountryMommaCooks “Link & Greet” party this weekend….have a wonderful day!

23. posted Jan 14, 2012 at 3:32 pm

would love it if you could share this on my link party

24. posted Jan 16, 2012 at 9:33 pm

These are so pretty. Good luck from Bacon Time.

25. posted Jan 17, 2012 at 1:07 am

How cute!
    Heart sprinkles win me over every time.

26. posted Jan 17, 2012 at 2:21 am

Oh my gosh they’re so CUTE! I just couldn’t resist clicking over from the linky party. I’d love to make these once we get closer to VDay and take them to work (because I do NOT need to have them hanging around the house!) – I’ll be sure to let you know and link back if/when I do.

27. posted Jan 17, 2012 at 6:00 am

These are adorable.So pink and cute!! I can’t wait to try these! I linked to you from Melt in Your Monday Monday. Thanks!!

28. posted Jan 18, 2012 at 2:52 am

These look so good and I love anything cherry! Thanks for linking up to Strut Your Stuff Saturday. We hope you come back and share more of your ideas. -The Sisters

29. posted Jan 20, 2012 at 9:00 pm

I could definitely find myself obsessing over these thumbprint cookies!

30. posted Jan 21, 2012 at 2:14 am

These are absolutely beautiful! We’re featuring them at our Seasonal Inspiration party – thanks for sharing!

31. posted Jan 23, 2012 at 9:14 pm

I’m going wild for that vanilla-cherry combo. Definitely featuring your recipe on my FB page today!

32. posted Feb 6, 2012 at 2:39 pm

Love this! We are hosting our first Kitchen Fun and Crafty link party this Friday (the 10th) and would love for you to share this! Feel free to stop by and grab a party button!

33. posted Feb 7, 2012 at 2:22 am

This is such a cute treat! Thanks for the idea…and the Sugar Rush!

34. posted Feb 10, 2012 at 10:28 pm

This comment has been removed by the author.

35. posted Feb 10, 2012 at 10:31 pm

Found your blog through this sweet collection. I’m so surprised that you didn’t actually use your thumb to make the thumbprints! So fun!

36. Brenda
    posted Jan 24, 2013 at 2:44 pm

How many cookies per batch?

37. Gina
    posted Feb 9, 2013 at 12:22 am

These are oh-so-yummy! I made them to bring into work for the pre-valentine’s day. My boyfriends parents said “oh, you can’t bring them, they’re terrible (said w/ a mouth full of cookie).” It’s what they tell me whenever they don’t want to share…with even me. I didn’t have maraschino juice, so i used ~3T of grenadine, and ~1/4t of vanilla. I topped them off with a necco heart. Super soft cookie too, definitely making them again.

• posted Feb 9, 2013 at 7:19 am

What a great substitution! I made another batch of these last week, I can’t decide if I like the cookie more or the frosting? Could be the combo of both. I bet yours looks super cute the heart on top!

38. posted Feb 12, 2014 at 9:22 am

These little cookies are so cute and sound so yummy! You should be pleased- out of all the MANY recipes I looked at, these cookies are the ones I decided to make for Valentine’s Day. Have all the ingredients ready and can’t wait to make them in a couple of days! I’ll let you know how they turn out, I’m sure they’ll be amazing :)