Apple Raisin Cobblestone Muffins

by aimee @ shugarysweets on February 9, 2012

Cobblestone Muffins: copycat Panera apple, cinnamon, raisin muffins. DELISH.

Oh help me. It’s become tradition now for me to bake muffins every week before a swim meet. And most of the time I use a tried and true blueberry muffin recipe.

Cobblestone Muffins: copycat Panera apple, cinnamon, raisin muffins. DELISH.

However this time, I wanted to replicate Panera’s cobblestone muffins. Have you had these? They are dense cinnamon muffins with apples and raisins and glaze.

Cobblestone Muffins: copycat Panera apple, cinnamon, raisin muffins. DELISH.

And I made them the size you would give a giant. Except I’m not a giant and I ate them anyways.

Cobblestone Muffins: copycat Panera apple, cinnamon, raisin muffins. DELISH.

And then I baked some mini loaves. And ate those too. They are that good!

Cobblestone Muffins: copycat Panera apple, cinnamon, raisin muffins. DELISH.

Thank you to Crunch Pak for providing us some fun apple slices, which resulted in an easier step to making these muffins! Delish. These apples were perfect not only for baking, but snacking right out of the bag. We loved them!! (and this is my own opinion, like there was any doubt I would lie on my own blog)!

Apple Raisin Cobblestone Muffins

• For the Coating:
  • 3/4 cup butter, melted
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/4 cup cinnamon
  • For the Filling:
  • 2 apples, cored and diced (I leave skin on)
  • 1/2 cup raisins
  • 1/2 cup golden raisins
  • For the Icing:
  • 1 cup powdered sugar
  • 2 Tbsp milk

1. In large mixing bowl, mix together yeast with warmed milk. Add in the eggs, sugar and salt. Continue to mix in the melted butter and 3 cups flour. Add remaining flour until combined, trying not to over mix. Turn dough out into a greased bowl, cover and let rise until doubled in size.
  2. Line large muffin cups with liners or parchment paper. Put melted butter in one bowl, and combine brown sugar, sugar and cinnamon in a separate bowl. Pinch off 2 Tbsp sized balls of dough, roll into a ball. Drop dough into melted butter, then into cinnamon sugar mixture. Place in bottom of muffin cup. Repeat until you have 3 balls in bottom of each cup.
  3. In small bowl, mix together raisins with apples. Place a tablespoon of filling onto dough balls. Repeat making dough balls by adding 4 balls to the top of each muffin. Again, sprinkle with 1 Tbsp of raisin/apple filling. When all muffins are ready, bake in a 350 degree oven for about 25 minutes.
  4. Remove and allow to cool. In small bowl, whisk together powdered sugar and milk. Drizzle over muffins and enjoy!

Jocelyn February 9, 2012 at 12:08 pm

I now officially need to head to Panera to see about these muffins! Of course I could just make my own since I am sure yours are totally more awesome than theirs…I am just lazy today:-) I love that you said you made them the size for a giant…yum!!!!!

Pauline A February 9, 2012 at 1:39 pm

Those look adorable. I haven’t made muffins in forever, so I just may have to try out this recipe :)

Karyn Tripp February 9, 2012 at 2:00 pm

Wow! What beautiful muffins. They sound and look delicious!

Kiri W. February 9, 2012 at 2:25 pm

Wow, I have to visit Panera’s stat! The name is… odd, but dense makes me happy. And apple cinnamon is about my favorite combination ever. These look beautiful, I love your presentation!

Kristina February 9, 2012 at 2:29 pm

Beautiful muffins! I love the muffin wrappers you used! And panera does make some of the best pastries, their cinnamon streusel bagels are the best! Yummy recipe :)

Aarthi February 9, 2012 at 2:36 pm

This is a awesome recipe…YUMMY

Aarthi

momo0483 February 9, 2012 at 2:48 pm

These are my son’s favorite muffins from Panera. I can’t wait to make some for him at home. Thanks!

Ginger Zuck February 9, 2012 at 3:25 pm

WOW! Oh, please help ME! I’m printing and pinning all at the same time! They look amazing.

Beth February 9, 2012 at 3:57 pm

I am making these right now. Don’t have the larger muffin tins, so will make regular sized one. Taking these to a Ladies Bible Study tomorrow morning. Thanks for the recipe!

fitsgreaterthanskinny.com February 9, 2012 at 5:35 pm

We have a love for cinnamon rolls at our house but I think next time I’m going to try this recipe in place of our usual cinnamon roll…they look amazing!

Mary February 9, 2012 at 6:02 pm

These sound so good. I love the idea of a chunky muffin and yours look beautiful. I really have to give your recipe a try. I hope you have a great day. Blessings…Mary

gobakeyourself February 10, 2012 at 12:24 am

These look sensational – so fluffy and wonderful
Almost reminds me of an apple pie in a muffin :D

Cheers
Choc Chip Uru

JavelinWarrior February 10, 2012 at 2:26 pm

Your muffins are incredible! I don’t think I’ve ever wanted a muffin this badly before ;) I have featured this post in today’s Friday Food Fetish roundup. Let me know if you have any objections and thanks for the inspiration

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers February 10, 2012 at 2:49 pm

OMG! These look amazing! Do you think you could feeze them? If I don’t I’ll eat them all!!

The Mom Chef February 10, 2012 at 3:33 pm

Yeah, I need to make these. Immediately. Pinned!

bakingbad February 10, 2012 at 4:10 pm

These have jumped to the top of my to make list! Thanks for sharing on weeekend potluck!

brooke February 10, 2012 at 6:24 pm

Thank you for recreating those! I love them!! :) (New follower from It’s a Keeper!)

Terra February 11, 2012 at 3:26 am

Oh how fun, I have been wanting to make those Panera muffins too! These sound so fun to make, and huge muffins sound perfect to me! Beautiful:-) Take care, Terra

Kim February 12, 2012 at 12:45 am

These look scrumptious! Thanks for sharing! I’ve been following your blog for a while but am now a new linky follower, since GFC will soon be no longer. I’ve moved my blog Little Rays of Sunshine over to a new site (morrowsunshine.com) and would love for you to come check it out sometime! :)

Amy February 12, 2012 at 11:14 pm

saw this.
Went to the store.
going to bake these now!

They look amazing. thanks for sharing the recipe!

Lisa @ Flour Me With Love February 14, 2012 at 3:48 pm

These look amazing Aimee! Please stop over and share some recipes at Mix it up Monday:

I hope to see you soon:)

Six Sisters February 16, 2012 at 5:07 am

YUMMY! Can’t wait to try these! We loved having you at our “Strut Your Stuff Saturday.” Come back next Saturday and share more of your great recipes! -The Sisters

Six Sisters February 16, 2012 at 5:07 am

Tara @ Chip Chip Hooray February 16, 2012 at 9:06 pm

Oh my gosh THESE are the muffins you tweeted a picture of that day!! I would so eat all of these for you, giant or no. ;)

How do you think you would change the cook time for mini loaves?

Nommmmmm.

Laura Dembowski August 24, 2012 at 7:59 pm

Yum! These look so awesome. I love muffins and these are such a great spin on them. Can’t wait to give them a try :)

sally @ sallys baking addiction January 16, 2013 at 9:06 am

I am blown away Aimee! wow. these look heavenly! So tall and fluffy and all of that glaze on top. I love raisins in my baked goods, especially paired with cinnamon and soft dough. I love these! And I love how giant they are. :)
sally @ sallys baking addiction recently posted..soft-baked monster cookies.My Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets January 16, 2013 at 3:50 pm

Thanks Sally. They were so so so good! And giant muffins are ALWAYS better. Right?

Ilana February 17, 2013 at 1:47 pm

My youngest daughter loves the Cobblestone muffins at Panera. She’s going to be thrilled that we can now bake them at home. Thanks.

v w March 8, 2013 at 2:18 pm

Do you have any idea what accounts for that bizzarre flavor that Panera cobblestones have? I read through your ingredients list and nothing on there looks plausible. I think you might be missing one of the spices.

MAUREEN September 7, 2013 at 2:25 pm

The Panera version has more of a lemony glaze, so I am going to try this recipe, but add lemon juice to the glaze….would be nice if they are as good because I am addicted to the ones at Panera!

Bradley January 15, 2014 at 4:14 pm

Hello!, I just wished to add my opinion that these are GREAT! I did change sometime that was merely preference. I decided to not add any raisins/apples to the top of the muffins. This is due to the fruit burning in the oven, I found that they left a very burnt taste, as for the muffins themselves they are great! Thanks for the great recipe.

aimee @ shugarysweets January 15, 2014 at 7:07 pm

Glad you enjoyed the recipe!!

Anonymous March 13, 2014 at 3:20 am

I made this recipe yesterday. Simply delicious! My family loved them & ate the first few before I had a chance to glaze them. Thanks for a wonderful recipe that instantly became a family favorite.

Kathy March 15, 2014 at 1:04 am

Made these tonight. Took about 3 hours total, very timeconsuming. I made much smaller than 2 tablespoon size balls and the muffins came huge. The ones in the metal pans burned on the sides. Very disappointed in this recipe and how long it took.

Wendy July 24, 2014 at 9:38 am

Can’t wait to give these a try. Big fan of the cobblestone muffins – one question, how long would you bake as a loaf?

Anonymous July 24, 2014 at 1:53 pm

Pumpkin Muffins
Panera Bread Copycat Recipe

Makes 1 Dozen

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup canned solid-pack pumpkin (from a 15-oz can)
1/3 cup vegetable oil
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice (a combo of cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, ginger, and allspice)
1 1/4 cups plus 1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon

Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Put liners in muffin cups.Whisk together flour and baking powder in a small bowl. Whisk together pumpkin, oil, eggs, pumpkin pie spice, 1 1/4 cups sugar, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl until smooth, then whisk in flour mixture until just combined.

Stir together cinnamon and remaining 1 tablespoon sugar in another bowl. Divide batter among muffin cups (each should be about 3/4 full), then sprinkle tops with cinnamon-sugar mixture. Bake until puffed and golden brown and a wooden pick or skewer inserted into center of a muffin comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes. Cool in pan on a rack 5 minutes, then transfer muffins from pan to rack and cool to warm or room temperature. Garnish with powdered sugar if desired.

Gwen August 3, 2014 at 7:41 pm

These were so fun to make!! I have no idea how they taste but I am betting nothing short of amazing!!! I’m just got swept up in the making part I kept rolling out little balls and just throwing them on top of each other and tossing filling at them I hope they come put as pretty and lumpy and as perfectly imperfect as yours look!! Mmmm mmm
Thanks for the recipe I have a feeling these will be made A LOT around here!!