Oh, did you notice it hasn’t been released yet? How cool am I that I got my hands on one early? Joy hand delivered it to me!
Okay, that’s a lie. She sent it to me by mail, personally.
Fine, another lie.
I am part of an ELITE group of bloggers (hey, it’s my blog and I can say whatever I want here) who are participating in a Cookbook Spotlight of Joy’s Cookbook (read a little about it here). Thanks also to Jenn who submitted my name to the group!
I signed up right away! Why? Duh, free cookbook.
Okay, that was reason one…reason 2? I got the cookbook before the rest of you, which makes me cool. And earns me brownie points with friends who want to know what’s in the cookbook.
Reason 3? Again, duh, I get to make her food and share it with all of you! Not sure about the rest of you, but I spend so much time as a food blogger creating my own recipes that it’s fun every once in awhile to actually make someone else’s recipes.
And reason 4? Joy’s blog was on one of the very first foodies I stalked when I first started blogging. Now though? We are tight. Like BFF’s. She doesn’t know it, but that’s okay. I got her cookbook before the rest of you…that’s totally BFF in my book! Besides, she may actually find out somehow that I’m part of this group, and she might stop by here (HI JOY!!!!!!!!!!!! <--overkill on the excitement). And then she may say, "Hey Shugary (cause that's what you would call me), how about I come make you some pancakes one day." And I'd be all like, "well, I guess. I'm a pretty busy food blogger, but I could totally try to make time for you."
Okay…..so you ready for the recipe? I made Chocolate Fudge Brownies with Chocolate Buttercream Frosting. OMG these were amazing. I only changed up a few things in the recipe, like using three whole eggs instead of 2 eggs and yolk (I mean, what am I going to do with one egg white…too healthy to eat). I also added ovaltine to the brownie batter, just because. But I’ve talked enough, how about we get to the brownie recipe?
Chocolate Fudge Brownies with Chocolate Buttercream Frostingby Shugary SweetsPrep Time: 20 minutesCook Time: 25-30 minutesKeywords: bake dessert chocolate ovaltine brownies6016915Ingredients (12 servings)
For the Brownies:
For the Frosting:
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3 oz unsweetened chocolate (3 squares)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup Ovaltine (chocolate malt flavor)
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 6 Tbsp butter, softened
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/4 cups powdered sugar
- 2 Tbsp milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup Ovaltine (chocolate malt flavor)InstructionsLine an 8inch square baking dish with parchment paper. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.In a double boiler, melt butter with unsweetened chocolate squares. Pour into a mixing bowl and whisk in both sugars and ovaltine. Slowly whisk in eggs and vanilla. Add flour, baking powder and salt. Fold in chocolate chips.Pour batter into baking dish and bake for 25-30 minutes. Remove and cool before frosting.To prepare frosting, cream together butter, cocoa powder and salt. DO NOT LICK THE BEATER. Even though it looks good, trust me it's not. I may have learned this from experimenting.Cream mixture for about 3 minutes on medium speed, scrape down sides of bowl. Beat in powdered sugar, milk and vanilla. Beat until smooth.In a measuring cup, whisk together ovaltine and heavy cream. Add in a steady stream to the frosting bowl. Beak until smooth. Add more powdered sugar if necessary.Frost cooled brownies, cut and enjoy!Powered by Recipage