Joy’s Brownies

by aimee @ shugarysweets on February 13, 2012

I have some very exciting news: For the next 4 weeks I will be sharing a recipe from Joy the Baker’s new cookbook (found here).

JTB Cookbook Spotlight & Cook-Off Banner

Oh, did you notice it hasn’t been released yet? How cool am I that I got my hands on one early? Joy hand delivered it to me!

Okay, that’s a lie. She sent it to me by mail, personally.

Fine, another lie.

I am part of an ELITE group of bloggers (hey, it’s my blog and I can say whatever I want here) who are participating in a Cookbook Spotlight of Joy’s Cookbook (read a little about it here). Thanks also to Jenn who submitted my name to the group!

I signed up right away! Why? Duh, free cookbook.

Okay, that was reason one…reason 2? I got the cookbook before the rest of you, which makes me cool. And earns me brownie points with friends who want to know what’s in the cookbook.

Reason 3? Again, duh, I get to make her food and share it with all of you! Not sure about the rest of you, but I spend so much time as a food blogger creating my own recipes that it’s fun every once in awhile to actually make someone else’s recipes.

And reason 4? Joy’s blog was on one of the very first foodies I stalked when I first started blogging. Now though? We are tight. Like BFF’s. She doesn’t know it, but that’s okay. I got her cookbook before the rest of you…that’s totally BFF in my book! Besides, she may actually find out somehow that I’m part of this group, and she might stop by here (HI JOY!!!!!!!!!!!! <--overkill on the excitement). And then she may say, "Hey Shugary (cause that's what you would call me), how about I come make you some pancakes one day." And I'd be all like, "well, I guess. I'm a pretty busy food blogger, but I could totally try to make time for you."

Okay…..so you ready for the recipe? I made Chocolate Fudge Brownies with Chocolate Buttercream Frosting. OMG these were amazing. I only changed up a few things in the recipe, like using three whole eggs instead of 2 eggs and yolk (I mean, what am I going to do with one egg white…too healthy to eat). I also added ovaltine to the brownie batter, just because. But I’ve talked enough, how about we get to the brownie recipe?

Chocolate Fudge Brownies with Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
by Shugary Sweets
Cook Time: 25-30 minutes
Keywords: bake dessert chocolate ovaltine brownies
6016915
Ingredients (12 servings)
    For the Brownies:
    • 3/4 cup flour
    • 1 tsp baking powder
    • 1/2 tsp salt
    • 1/2 cup butter
    • 3 oz unsweetened chocolate (3 squares)
    • 1/2 cup brown sugar
    • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
    • 1/4 cup Ovaltine (chocolate malt flavor)
    • 3 eggs
    • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
    • 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
    For the Frosting:
    • 6 Tbsp butter, softened
    • 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
    • 1/4 tsp salt
    • 1 1/4 cups powdered sugar
    • 2 Tbsp milk
    • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
    • 1/4 cup heavy cream
    • 1/4 cup Ovaltine (chocolate malt flavor)
    Line an 8inch square baking dish with parchment paper. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
    In a double boiler, melt butter with unsweetened chocolate squares. Pour into a mixing bowl and whisk in both sugars and ovaltine. Slowly whisk in eggs and vanilla. Add flour, baking powder and salt. Fold in chocolate chips.
    Pour batter into baking dish and bake for 25-30 minutes. Remove and cool before frosting.
    To prepare frosting, cream together butter, cocoa powder and salt. DO NOT LICK THE BEATER. Even though it looks good, trust me it's not. I may have learned this from experimenting.
    Cream mixture for about 3 minutes on medium speed, scrape down sides of bowl. Beat in powdered sugar, milk and vanilla. Beat until smooth.
    In a measuring cup, whisk together ovaltine and heavy cream. Add in a steady stream to the frosting bowl. Beak until smooth. Add more powdered sugar if necessary.
    Frost cooled brownies, cut and enjoy!
    Powered by Recipage

*This post is part of the Joy the Baker Cookbook Spotlight and Cook-Off sponsored by Hyperion and hosted at girlichef*

Linked To:
    Makret Yourself Melt in your Mouth

Dulce fresa February 13, 2012 at 11:44 am

Yummy I love chocolate.. thanks for sharing!

Heather @girlichef.com February 13, 2012 at 11:53 am

Ha ha ha…I knew you and Joy were likethisclose ;P. Your brownies turned out magically…I want to reach in and grab myself a few for breakie. So happy you’re taking part in this spotlight =)

vianney February 13, 2012 at 11:56 am

Your brwonies came out great!! my family loved them, happy to cook along with you for the fab cooking spotlight!

Jocelyn February 13, 2012 at 2:30 pm

It otally sounds like BFF’s…at least that is how I would think too!

And brownies with chocolate frosting and the extra hit of ovaltine? Seriously? Why do you do this to me this early in the morning? :-) Now I will be craving chocolate all day! Ok, fine. That is just normal routine.

I can’t wait to see what else is in that book…hints please???

Lisa February 13, 2012 at 3:27 pm

Wow, you’re so lucky to get ahold of the cookbook and be able to start baking such amazing things from it.

Kristina February 13, 2012 at 3:30 pm

haha! Your post just made me laugh :) I love that you chose pancakes for Joy to make you! Can’t wait to get my hands on a copy of that cookbook! Those brownies look delicioussss, and the buttercream frosting… yum!

Lauren at Keep It Sweet February 13, 2012 at 3:42 pm

I should have known that any brownies coming out of Joy’s book would be amazing!

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga February 13, 2012 at 4:02 pm

Being able to be on Joy’s pre-release cookbook list and having her hand-deliver the book to me would pretty much be the best thing ever.

And brownies with Ovaltine….love this!

TheChocolatePriestess February 13, 2012 at 6:28 pm

I almost always have frosted brownies for my birthday but that’s not until September so your post will have to tie me over until then.

Tera Leigh February 14, 2012 at 3:33 am

Found your adorable blog via the Linky Blog Hop! I’m following you, now! Hope you can come visit my blog at http://www.eccentricleopard.com/ Thanks!

Heidi Bundles Of Hugs February 14, 2012 at 3:41 am

Mmm yum. I’m still on the search for the perfect brownie recipe. I guess I’ll have to give this a try! bummer.

Justine February 14, 2012 at 5:20 am

Stopping by from the Linky Follower Party Hop! http://queenofsavings.com

Kiri W. February 14, 2012 at 11:18 am

Mmm, these look perfect! :) I love Joy’s blog!

Sue/the view from great island February 14, 2012 at 2:19 pm

Those brownies look familiar! I haven’t seen a bad batch yet. I am devising many many future plans for that frosting…

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers February 14, 2012 at 3:14 pm

Yum! The brownie lok wonderful! Can’t wait to see what other recipes you find in the cookbook!

Gerry @Foodness Gracious February 14, 2012 at 9:16 pm

Theses are awesome brownies and it’s great to be playing this game with you :)
    Take care and glad to be a new follower..

Erica February 14, 2012 at 10:50 pm

I love these brownies and I am glad to be in this event with you!

Michelle February 16, 2012 at 9:53 pm

Oooo! I like adding ovaltine to the batter too. Great idea!

Christy February 16, 2012 at 10:39 pm

you are hilarious! i was smiling throughout your entire post. i admit i added a little more ovaltine to my frosting because i can’t get enough of that malty goodness…great idea to add it to the brownies as well.

Online Parenting Class February 17, 2012 at 9:53 am

these look really good!

Jenn Erickson February 17, 2012 at 7:35 pm

Aimee, I’m so happy to be sharing the cookbook challenge and spotlight experience with you. Looking forward to see what you pick for week 3!

Best,
    Jenn/Rook No. 17

Danielle February 19, 2012 at 4:21 pm

LOL…ok, so you’re inviting her over for pancakes and i’m going to run into her at the local market. We’ll just stalk her together hahaha. Love these brownies!

Deb in Hawaii February 20, 2012 at 8:13 am

Your BFF wrote a fabulous cookbook. ;-) These brownies were divine. I love that you put some Ovaltine in the brownie batter too.

Kim February 21, 2012 at 2:23 pm

Receiving the cookbook before it hits the stores is so exciting, isn’t it? Your brownies look incredible!

Sally February 21, 2012 at 7:23 pm

frosted brownies are the absolute BEST! these brownies look perfect and sooo chocolate-y. :)