Vanilla Bean Snickerdoodles

by aimee @ shugarysweets on March 8, 2012

vanilla bean snickerdoodle cookies
Not only do I have a fantastic cookie recipe for you, but today is my last installment of my Joy the Baker Cookbook series.

First, let’s talk about this cookbook for a minute. I was so fortunate to be a part of a group of bloggers who received this cookbook before the rest of ya’ll. Usually when I buy a cookbook I skip to sections I like, or flip to the index to find a certain type of recipe. Joy’s cookbook I read from cover to cover. Like a book. Her stories before the recipes really give you a glimpse into her life. You trust her and when you make one of her recipes you KNOW she has tested it out. That’s one of the best things about cookbooks written by bloggers!

I also love that Joy did all her own photography in this book. And her pictures are mouthwatering. Stunning. Photography is one area that I really need to put more of my attention. Joy, however, is quite skilled!

I highly encourage all of you to get this cookbook. And I don’t say that often about cookbooks. There are very few that I would HIGHLY recommend. But this is one of them that I say, spend the money. It’s worth it! Plus, you might get lucky and and live in a town along her book tour and get it signed. How cool would that be??

Now, I know, the recipe. I couldn’t highlight her cookbook without sharing one more recipe with you all. And to be honest, I was very skeptical about making this one. I have a trusted snickerdoodle recipe that I love. That said, I gave this one a try. The only change I made was instead of using vanilla extract and vanilla beans, I useĀ vanilla bean paste. I love this stuff and use every chance to incorporate it into recipes! I also added more cinnamon in my “topping” only because I didn’t read the recipe so carefully and added in what I normally would have. It turned out fabulous!

In the cookbook Joy shares a picture of her snickerdoodles, mine looked nothing like those. Hers are very skinny. Mine ended up puffier! I made small one, but also made some larger sized cookies (like she recommended). Neither batch turned out thin like in her photo, but both batches were absolutely amazing. I am now making this my go-to snickerdoodle recipe, without question. Yeah, wow!!!!

Vanilla Bean Snickerdoodles

• 2 tsp cream of tartar
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp kosher salt
  • For the topping:
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 2 tsp cinnamon

1. In mixing bowl, beat butter and sugar until thoroughly combined about 3 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating for one minute between additions. Beat in vanilla bean paste.
  2. Scrape down sides of bowl and add in flour, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt. Mix until just combined. Cover dough and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
  3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In small bowl mix together the cinnamon and sugar. Scoop dough by large tablespoons and roll in cinnamon sugar mixture. Place on parchment paper lined baking sheets, several inches apart, and bake for 13-15 minutes, until edges are slightly browned. For smaller cookies, bake 12-14 minutes.
  4. Allow cookies to set on cookie sheet about ten minutes before removing to wire rack to cool. Enjoy!

Heather @girlichef.com March 8, 2012 at 12:38 pm

These are SO on my to-try list. Soon! Delicious review and I’m happy that you enjoyed this book. Thank you so much for being a part of this Joy the Baker Cookbook Spotlight & Cook-Off =)!

Lizzy March 8, 2012 at 1:54 pm

My youngest LOVES snickerdoodles and this recipe looks fantastic!

RavieNomNoms March 8, 2012 at 2:17 pm

These are great! My boyfriend loves snickerdoodles. I am sure he will be over the moon for these!

Cookin' Cowgirl March 8, 2012 at 2:57 pm

Is this for real?? I had NO idea that snickerdoodles could get any better….but they just DID! YUM!

Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust March 8, 2012 at 3:18 pm

Oh, yum. Vanilla and snickerdoodle? Delicious. I need to get myself on a cookbook review list! :)

Cassie/Bake Your Day March 8, 2012 at 3:29 pm

I love vanilla beans! They are the perfect addition to snickerdoodles too. These are amazing!

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga March 8, 2012 at 4:01 pm

I met Joy at an event last week and got a copy of her book…I agree w/ everything you said. Not many books I would highly recommend or want to make 99% of everything that’s in the book, but with hers, I do!

And yes on doing all her own photography…Amazing!

The cookies turned out great looking!

Erin March 8, 2012 at 4:23 pm

My Mom made these (she’s in the group of bloggers) and they are wonderful!!!!

Jocelyn March 8, 2012 at 4:55 pm

I didn’t realize that she did all the photography for her book too…that is truly awesome!! Snickerdoodles are my husbands favorite cookie. And with vanilla bean paste? I can just imagine how good these are:-)

Kiri W. March 8, 2012 at 6:32 pm

Mmmmm, delicious! I really have to get my hands on Joy’s cook book!

gobakeyourself March 8, 2012 at 6:34 pm

I am over the moon – these look heavenly! That cookbook is gem :D

Cheers
Choc Chip Uru
Latest: Ultra Chewy M&M Cookies

Rochelle Ramos March 8, 2012 at 7:14 pm

Lovely cookies! They make me really want to get my hands on this cookbook :D

Lacy @ NYCityEats March 8, 2012 at 9:14 pm

Ooohhh I found a recent love (like within the past year) for all things snickerdoodle! These look amazing! I wish I could take a bite out of one right now. I won’t be able to get these out of my mind until I make them! Great post! YUMM!

Gerry @Foodness Gracious March 8, 2012 at 11:17 pm

Your snickerdoodles look awesome! These are bookmarked for me along with 99 other recipes :)
Take care..

Gerry @Foodness Gracious March 8, 2012 at 11:17 pm

Take care..

Sally @ Spontaneous Hausfrau March 8, 2012 at 11:34 pm

I’ve been drooling over Joy’s book so much that I can’t figure out what to make first! I love puffy, fat cookies, so these are right up my alley.

Julie @ Table for Two March 9, 2012 at 12:41 am

Totally want to make these. I need to dig into her book!

Allie March 9, 2012 at 3:02 am

Looks delicious! Love trying new Snickerdoodle recipes. Quick question, is the vanilla bean paste only available online or do any chain US retailer carry them?

Lin February 22, 2014 at 12:29 am

I did a little research. You can buy it on amazon.com and it’s not as expensive as I was thinking. I’ve never seen it in stores.

I also found that 1 Tbsp. Vanilla Bean Paste = 1 Vanilla Bean or 1 Tbsp. of extract.

Hope this helps!

Michelle March 9, 2012 at 4:34 am

I completely agree about reading the book cover to cover. I loved Joy’s stories before each recipe. The snickerdoodles look great!

Valerie @ From Valerie's Kitchen March 9, 2012 at 5:18 am

It’s very cool that you got an advance copy of Joy’s cookbook. I am really looking forward to getting my hands on a copy! These cookies are perfection!

Rose March 9, 2012 at 6:52 pm

Those looks so good. I am so making these! I am a new follower! If you find the time stop by my Brand new blog and follow back if you like what you see.@ http://www.arosiesweethome.com/
Thanks, Rose

AndiWinslow March 10, 2012 at 3:14 pm

I love cookies, and especially snickerdoodles. Have never used vanilla paste. Have never even bought it. sound delish andi

Christy March 10, 2012 at 11:53 pm

nothing worse than having 2 batches of cookies lying around the kitchen (snicker, snicker). i have these on my list to make….i remember loving snickerdoodles as a kid and can’t wait to bring back that taste memory. it has been fun cooking with you this past month!
christy

AudreyN March 11, 2012 at 5:03 am

These look amazing! I can’t wait to make them!

Miz Helen March 11, 2012 at 4:55 pm

Hi Aimee,
Great review and great cookie, yum!
Hope you are having a great week end and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
Happy St. Patrick’s Day and Come Back Soon!
Miz Helen

Kim March 12, 2012 at 12:16 pm

Like you I read this book cover to cover and love it as well. Great review. Those snickerdoodles look so wonderful. It was nice baking along with you in the cook-off!

Sarah E. March 15, 2012 at 12:20 am

I really need to get her cookbook – she was one of the first bloggers I followed when I started blogging over a year ago. I love her posts – she is hilarious :)

These cookies look so yummy!