Chocolate Thumbprint Cookies with Peppermint Frosting
I’m back. What an awesome trip! I hope you enjoyed all my guest posters! I owe them big time!
So, let’s talk cookies. Chocolate thumbprints with peppermint frosting.
Yeah, these totally are holiday cookies. But see, here’s the story. There’s this little baby, named Will, he’s not born yet. And he has a heart defect. There was this big fundraiser to raise money for medical bills and other needs, and these cookies shared a part in the day. If you look at the cookies in the box (yes, I know it’s blurry) you will see each one has a red heart (made out of candy melts) on it. For Will.
The cookies melt in your mouth just like baby Will has melted our hearts! We’re praying for you!!
Chocolate Thumbprints with Peppermint Frostingby Shugary SweetsPrep Time: 2 hoursCook Time: 12 minutesIngredients (6 dozen)
For the cookies:
For the frosting:
- 4 oz bittersweet chocolate, chopped (I used a 4oz bar of Ghirardelli bittersweet chocolate)
- 1 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 Tbsp dark brown sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sugar (for rolling cookies in)
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 6 oz white chocolate, melted
- 2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 Tbsp milk
- 1/4 tsp peppermint extractInstructionsIn microwave, melt bittersweet chocolate for 30 seconds, stir, and heat for an additional 30 seconds, until completely melted. Set aside.In mixer, beat butter with 1/2 cup sugar and brown sugar until fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add in egg yolks and vanilla. Add in melted chocolate, mix until incorporated. Add the flour, cocoa powder and salt. Scrape down sides of bowl occasionally.Transfer dough onto a sheet of plastic wrap. Wrap it up and refrigerate at least an hour.When ready to bake, roll dough into tablespoons, drop into extra sugar and place on parchment paper lined cookie sheet. Press thumb into each cookie making an indent. Bake in a 350 degree oven for about 12 minutes. Immediately press the center with a spoon, as it has risen a bit in the oven. Allow to cool completely before frosting.For the frosting, beat butter until fluffy. Add white chocolate, powdered sugar, milk and peppermint extract. Beat for at least 2-3 minutes until fluffy. Place frosting in decorator bag with tip and pipe onto each cookie. Store covered.**cookie recipe adapted slightly from Food and Wine**frosting recipe from Shugary SweetsPowered by Recipage