Banana Rice Krispie Treats

banana rice krispie treats recipe

I’m often asked where my ideas come from. To be honest, food is on my mind pretty much all day. Most of the time, as I sit and drink my morning coffee an idea will hit me and I begin baking immediately. If I can’t bake immediately, I jot down the idea, somewhere. I’m not like those other food bloggers who take the time to write out a recipe first, I grab a pencil and paper WHILE I am creating a recipe.

Honestly, there are times when I wish I was a little more organized in my recipe writing. Absolutely. My desk is covered with notes of ideas, half written recipes, full recipes and scraps of magazines.

But, at the end of the day, when dinner has been cleaned up and we begin eating our dessert, it makes it all worthwhile. Especially when it comes to this recipe.

I knew I wanted to make Rice Krispie treats, because as I’ve mentioned before, they are my favorite! This version is easy and amazing. And I am going to go one step further and encourage you to have them for breakfast. YES BREAKFAST. My kids love sliced bananas in their cereal, so go ahead and have one. I drizzled chocolate on a few too, which was a delicious touch! Enjoy!
Banana Rice Krispie Treats

Rating: 51

Yield: 16

• 5 cup Rice Krispies
  • 1/4 cup margarine
  • 10 1/2 oz bag mini marshmallows
  • 1 box (3.4oz) banana cream instant pudding mix

1. Butter a 9inch square baking dish. Set aside.
  2. In large pot, melt margarine on medium heat. Add in marshmallows and stir constantly until completely melted. Remove from heat. Fold in pudding mix until fully combined. Fold in cereal.
  3. Immediately pour cereal into prepared baking dish. Using buttered fingers, press treats into (don't over press or they get hard and dry tasting). Allow to set 20 minutes or more before cutting and eating. Enjoy!

31 Responses to “Banana Rice Krispie Treats”

1. posted May 4, 2012 at 11:52 am

I laughed as I read this…I do the same thing when I write recipes! I have scraps of paper everywhere with jotted down recipes and recipe ideas.

These rice krispie treats look delicious :)

2. posted May 4, 2012 at 1:14 pm

You mean you are supposed to write the recipe down first??? No way! I am just like you…as I add stuff in my bowl, then it goes on the paper!!! Love how much we are alike in these funny little things:-) You should see how many scraps of paper with recipe ideas I have.

And pudding in rice krispie treats…yuuummm!!! You just opened up a whole new world to me of ideas!!! Of course the chocolate drizzled on top would be a sure thing for me!

3. posted May 4, 2012 at 1:51 pm

Oh my, pudding mix? Will HAVE to try these and see how this is. Sounds delicious!

4. posted May 4, 2012 at 2:50 pm

These sound delicious! I’m kind of on a banana kick right now. :)

I do the same thing when modifying/creating a recipe. Who needs to plan ahead, right?

5. posted May 4, 2012 at 2:58 pm

I don’t plan much, either most times and love your comment about when you grab the pencil and the scraps of paper. I can relate.

These look so gooey and PERFECT!

6. posted May 4, 2012 at 4:03 pm

This looks so yummy!! I would love if you could link this up to my weekly I Love Fridays party. I think my readers would really appreciate this recipe! Have a great weekend!

7. posted May 4, 2012 at 6:41 pm

This is SUCH a great idea! And homemade tastes so much better than the store-bought.

8. posted May 4, 2012 at 8:45 pm

I am loving this rice krispie thing that you are on. Banana flavor is so brilliant!

9. posted May 4, 2012 at 11:52 pm

Oh my gosh – are you serious? You can put pudding mix in rice krispie treats? Oh man, this could be very very dangerous. I will definitely try the banana flavor first.

10. posted May 5, 2012 at 12:08 am

Found you on Sweet as Sugar cookies party and these look and sound good!

11. posted May 5, 2012 at 1:34 am

These look amazing! Must try these out.

12. posted May 5, 2012 at 4:28 am

This is so smart! I love bananas on my morning cereal too, so clearly, why not in rice krispies! PS: I’m fairly certain I’m always thinking about food too…and that there are recipes ideas scribbled down all over my life!

13. posted May 5, 2012 at 1:30 pm

Im afraid that if I made this.. I’d eat the whole batch… no.. I think I’d best abstain.. Rice Krispie Treats are my favorites too.. sigh.

14. posted May 5, 2012 at 2:46 pm

I’m totally like that too – I write as I bake. Sometimes, if I’m organized, and it’s a recipe from somewhere, I’ll print it out and edit as I go. But not very often. Love these and I super-love how I can eat them for breakfast! I need to surprise Jordan with them sometime. She’ll love me forever. :)

15. posted May 5, 2012 at 3:05 pm

Looks yummy!

16. posted May 5, 2012 at 4:47 pm

I love the sound of these … and I never would have thought of using pudding mix in Rice Krispie treats! Thank you for sharing … I’m sure my kiddos will LOVE this :)

17. posted May 6, 2012 at 9:52 am

These are genius … just had to share them on FB today!!

18. posted May 8, 2012 at 11:34 pm

Being a Rice Krispies Treat fanatic, these look awesome. And I love all things banana. I do the same–make up recipes as I go and don’t write them ahead of time.

19. posted Jan 15, 2013 at 12:29 pm

Thanks for the tip on not pressing down to hard -I wondered why a batch I made got hard & gross :(

20. Heather
    posted Nov 5, 2013 at 7:06 pm

Just made these tonight! But I added sliced banana pieces and chocolate drizzle on top! Yummy!

21. Amy K
    posted Jan 9, 2014 at 3:21 pm

Im in England, so when you say pudding mix do you mean Angel Delight? Like a powder that you mix with milk and chill. Rice Krispie squares aren’t really a big thing over here, but they are so good, definitely going to try this recipe xx

• Marquisha
      posted Jan 10, 2014 at 12:03 am

Yes, that sounds like the same thing. It’s instant pudding that you mix with milk and chill. Except you wouldn’t do that, you would just add the Angel Delight to the marshmallows.

• Amy K
        posted Jan 10, 2014 at 1:30 pm

Oh yes of course, i wouldn’t add the milk, thanks for your reply, going to try these out this weekend x

• posted Jan 10, 2014 at 3:38 pm

You never know sometimes, hehe!! ENjoy your treats :)

22. Pingback: Wednesday Tastes: Bananas! – Apples2Abs

23. Lee
    posted May 16, 2014 at 12:25 pm

A typical American recipe. I came here hoping to find a recipe to use up some bananas but rather than use actual banana flavoured bananas you use a prepackaged pudding mix. Is it any wonder obesity levels are so high in the US?

• posted May 17, 2014 at 11:07 am

Thank you? I am a typical American mom, and I believe everything in moderation. I am healthy as are my children, and we prefer to eat our bananas for breakfast and enjoy these as a treat.

24. Pingback: 50 Banana Recipes - Songbirds and Buttons

25. jennie
    posted Sep 12, 2014 at 9:50 pm

Hi! This recipe sounds great, but I have a silly question…. for the pudding mix do I actually prep it or just add the powder as is to the melted butter?

• posted Sep 13, 2014 at 7:44 am

Nope, just add the powder to the melted butter! ENJOY

26. Pingback: You’ll Never Look At Rice Krispies The Same Way Again Once You See This | Traffic Nova