Root Beer Float Ice Cream Sandwiches

by aimee @ shugarysweets on May 6, 2012

I have a thing for Root Beer. Especially Root Beer floats!

Don’t they just scream summer? I especially love those little crystals that form on the ice cream when you pour the root beer in your glass.

Or do you drop your ice cream into the root beer. There is a difference. The cool people pour the root beer over the ice cream. Just sayin.
The cookies are delicious on their own too. But why eat a root beer cookie without ice cream? After the photo shoot I took these iced cookies and sandwiched them with more ice cream. Talk about a treat!

Have a taste for more root beer goodness? Then you must check out this Root Beer Float Fudge or these Brownie Bites with Root Beer Frosting! Enjoy!

Root Beer Float Ice Cream Sandwiches

by Shugary Sweets
Prep Time: 1 hour
Cook Time: 13-15 minutes

Ingredients (serves 16)
  • 1 cup butter, softened
  • 1 1/2 cup sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 Tbsp root beer concentrate (I use McCormicks)
  • 2 3/4 cup flour
  • 2 tsp cream of tartar
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp kosher salt
  • 1 1/2 qt vanilla bean ice cream
  • 1/2 cup white chocolate, melted
Beat butter and sugar in mixer for 3 minutes, until combined and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time. Beat in root beer concentrate. Add flour, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt. Mix until just combined.
Drop by large tablespoons onto parchment paper line baking sheet. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 13-15 minutes. Allow cookies to cool completely on wire rack before adding ice cream.
To assemble, scoop one large scoop of vanilla bean ice cream between two equal sized cookies. Press the cookies together, wrap in foil, and freeze at least one hour.
To go the extra mile, you can melt white chocolate in a double boiler and frost the cookies with the melted chocolate. Allow to set about 15 minutes. Enjoy!
Powered by Recipage
Linked To:

Jam Hands  Melt in Your Mouth  Market Yourself  Mix It Up  Made By You  Confessional  Totally Tasty Tuesdays  Trick or Treat  Time Out  Crazy Sweet  Talent Show  Wow Me  Whimsy  Newlyweds  Link It Up  Sticker Time  Sweet Treats and Swanky Stuff  Catch a Glimpse  Chic and Crafty  I’m Lovin It  Feature Friday  Wrap Up  Friday Flair

Sophie May 6, 2012 at 8:26 pm

I’d live if you linked these up to my Sweet Saturdays link party this week! They look SOOOOOO amazing! I’m sure they’re great with the ice cream! YUMMMMY!

Holly May 6, 2012 at 8:51 pm

Love love love root beer floats! These sound super yummy :)

Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust May 6, 2012 at 11:06 pm

Yummy! I’m need to bake with root beer. I’ve been dying too. This week it’s happening!!

RecipeGirl May 7, 2012 at 12:05 am

These are too cute!

Jocelyn May 7, 2012 at 12:23 am

Well, I just bought root beer extract this past weekend and it is dying to be used. Some sort of yummy cookie like this is going to be happening some time very soon:-)

Carrie Burrill May 7, 2012 at 12:49 am

I have been wanting to buy root beer extract for months… and keep forgetting it! This is exactly what I need to make!!!

Cake May 7, 2012 at 1:50 am

These are fantastic! I love root beer floats – they just scream summer. Fabulous adaptation with the ice cream sandwiches.

Lora May 7, 2012 at 3:09 pm

I love anything root beer float. These look fantastic!

Minnie Kitchen May 7, 2012 at 3:41 pm

these look fantastic!! my hubby would love them~

Laura @ cookiecrumbsandsawdust.blogspot May 7, 2012 at 7:16 pm

Aimee,

These look divine. I will certainly have to try them.

I’m visiting from the Sumo’s Sweet Stuff linky party. I would love if you stop by my blog.

Thanks for sharing,
Laura

Bundles Of Hugs May 7, 2012 at 10:56 pm

OMG! This is perfect for me and hubs. I love this totally bookmarked to make :)

Heather May 8, 2012 at 1:27 am

Oh. My. Sweetness…LOVE! My shorties and I *need* to make these! Already added them to our summer fun project list! Thank you so much for sharing. :-)

Heather @ForTheLoveOfShorties

Jaime May 8, 2012 at 1:40 am

Oh my goodness, I would love for you to link these up to my party on Wednesday! Delish!!

Melissa May 8, 2012 at 2:02 am

wow! this looks so good!
love the photos! =)

Chandra@The Plaid and Paisley Kitchen May 8, 2012 at 5:56 pm

These look sooo good! I love root beer floats also! In Chicago we call them Black Cow’s! I would love it if you check out my ice cream inspired post this week also!

Lisa @ Flour Me With Love May 9, 2012 at 2:14 am

I’d like to order a dozen :) I love the flavor of these and so would the kids! Thanks so much for sharing at Mix it up Monday :)

Joni @ blog.Fashioned4You.com May 9, 2012 at 9:24 pm

These look so yummy! Thanks for sharing!!

Play Eat Grow May 9, 2012 at 10:34 pm

Oh, these look and sound so yummy. I love root beer floats. My favorite part is when you reach the bottom and the ice cream is melted and it mixes with the root beer to make this slushy, creamy deliciousness. Yum!

Mama Jodi May 10, 2012 at 6:17 am

I just found you on 36th Avenue and am now following. I love baking and am always looking for great recipes. I love your eye for photography as well. Great work. Jodi @ http://www.meaningfulmama.com

Katie @ Pincushion Creations May 10, 2012 at 1:06 pm

Found you through 36th avenue! I just love root beer and these look delicious! I would LOVE to have you share these at my party!! FOllowing you via GFC!

Melanie May 10, 2012 at 2:53 pm

Wow – these looks so good – my stomach is growling!

Steph @ The Silly Pearl May 11, 2012 at 12:34 am

I heart root beer so I know I’ll really heart these cookies! I had no idea there was such a thing as root beer extract. Thanks for sharing the yummyness!

Leslie May 11, 2012 at 1:49 am

Mmmmm! I haven’t had a root beer float in ages! (Totally with you on the pouring over bit!) These are going to go on the “must try” list for this summer. Thanks for the recipe!

Lorna May 12, 2012 at 3:47 pm

Two of my favourite things, put them together and I may actually squee! Must try these!

Lorna

barefootmeds May 12, 2012 at 5:51 pm

My dad loves rootbeer, I think I’ll make this for him when I go home!

Visiting from SITS Sharefest :)

Suzanne @The Wine{a}be May 12, 2012 at 8:03 pm

Wow..those look fabulous!! My daughter and husband love root beer…those would be a big hit! Thanks for sharing!
I’m stopping in from SITS!

Liberty's Yarn May 13, 2012 at 12:20 am

Oh. These look evil! I think I’d better make a batch just to be sure. hee hee Thank you for sharing such an amazing recipe!

Ashley May 13, 2012 at 12:38 am

I just found you on SITS and I must say that i am truly enjoying your blog. I haven’t had the pleasure of a good root beer float in quite some time, but I am ready for one now and I am definitely going to try your recipe for the ice cream sandwiches. They look delicious!!!

Definitey subscribing as well!!! Thanks for sharing.

Ashley

Raquel May 13, 2012 at 12:57 am

Found your delicious blog via SITS…You had me at root beer…but to make float sandwiches – yippee!

Jenny @ The NY Melrose Family May 15, 2012 at 11:51 pm

These look amazing! They sound great. Thanks so much for sharing at Whimsy Wednesdays.

sarah April 26, 2013 at 12:44 pm

I just made these! they are really good, I just wish the root beer flavor was a little stronger. Maybe after they cool more, they will be. Thanks for the great recipe!

Bobby Jo May 26, 2013 at 6:10 pm

I made them, frosted them and put crushed Root Beer Barrel candies on top of them. They were awesome! I guess you could soften the ice cream, mix some candies in it and reharden, then put on the cookies, that would be good too!