27 Back to School Recipes

by aimee @ shugarysweets on August 9, 2012

So it’s that time of year when my kids are headed back to school. (TWO WEEKS). Which means, I need to get organized.

Here is a collection of some of my favorite back to school recipes, for lunches, after school snacks, and busy weeknight meals! ENJOY.
Breakfast ideas

BREAKFAST IDEAS:
Strawberry Struedel- Why not make your own toaster struedels? Super easy and delicious!

Oatmeal Cookie Pancakes- Our family’s favorite pancake recipe, kid friendly too!

Single Serving Quiche- Choose bacon and leek or spinach and cheese. Bake and freeze. Pull one out of the freezer and microwave it for a quick, hearty breakfast!

Banana Muffin Tops- We all know the best part of the muffin is the top! Make a big batch and keep these in the freezer. Thaw on the counter overnight for a grab-and-go breakfast!

Chocolate Baked Donuts- Because sometimes you just want to have a sweet breakfast. These are ready to eat in less than 30 minutes!

Cinnamon Breakfast Muffins- Why yes, I do love easy, make ahead breakfasts! Again, store these in the freezer and pull out what you need the night before. Serve with eggs and fruit for a well rounded breakfast ;)
Lunch ideas
LUNCH SNACKS:
Banana Rice Krispie Treats- Easy homemade krispie treats, enhanced with banana pudding flavor!

BBQ Potato Chips- Once you’ve tasted these, it’s hard to go buy the bag stuff.

Taco Snack Mix- Stretch those bags and boxes of cereal, pretzels, and cheese crackers by making your own snack mix. Who can resist the taco flavor?

Oatmeal Cream Pie- Now you can make your own treats, your kids will thank you. (maybe your spouse too!)

Iced Oatmeal Cookies- Had to remind you about these cookies, better than the store bought. Honest.

Chocolate Chip Granola Bars- Make a batch of these for your kids lunch or snack. Why buy them?
dinner collage

DINNER IDEAS:

I spend many hours planning my dinner menus. I coordinate my crazy after school schedule, with sports, homework and music lessons and match each day with the perfect recipe. Here are a collection of some of my favorite weeknight dinner recipes:

Chicken Kisses- When you want comfort food, but don’t have the time to cook, try making these instead! Chicken, cream cheese, and seasonings inside crescent rolls. Drizzle with gravy and enjoy!

Best Ever Macaroni and Cheese- Technically this is a side dish, yes. But a delicious one! made with Gruyere cheese and Cheddar cheese, both kids and adults will be happy to devour this dinner.

Slow Cooker Barbacoa and Cilantro Lime Rice- Dinner with a kick. Cut out some of the peppers if you don’t want the spice. An easy knock off Chipotle recipe!

Slow Cooker Chipotle Pork with Mango Slaw- Serve this pork with cornbread muffins and the homemade slaw. You can make and freeze the muffins ahead of time for a quick dinner fix.

Slow Cooker Chicken Taco Soup- Why yes, I do love using my slow cooker! And this soup is perfect for that crazy hectic night when nobody eats at the same time. They can scoop themselves a bowl of soup and chow down!

Slow Cooker French Dip Sammies- An easy delicious french dip sandwich recipe. In the slow cooker, of course.

Slow Cooker Carnitas- Let these pork tenderloins cook all day and feel good knowing you have a delicious dinner ready when you are!

Balsamic Pork Tenderloins with Cherry Tomato Salad- One of our favorite dinners! Cook the pork in your slow cooker and use the glaze to whip up a nice, refreshing cherry tomato salad!

Taco Pizza- Use frozen pizza dough to make this even easier! Top with all your favorite veggies. Enjoy!
cupcakes
CUPCAKE DESSERTS:

My blog is filled with all sorts of desserts, including fudge, tarts, cheesecakes, krispie treats and much much more! But our favorite weeknight dessert would definitely be cupcakes. With four kids, our evenings are filled with on the go activities, and we don’t all eat dessert at the same time. Cupcakes are the perfect answer. Here are a few of our favorites….

Pumpkin Cupcakes with Maple Toffee Frosting- Probably my most “famous” as these cupcakes were awarded the best Home Chef recipe by the Today Show. Plus, they have pumpkin…healthy!

Raspberry Lemonade Cupcakes- Pink and Delicious.

Chocolate Chip Cookie Cupcakes with Cookie Dough Frosting- Splurge on these when you are craving chocolate chip cookies. Not for those who don’t like sweet. These will send you straight to the dentist!

Kiddie Cocktail Cupcakes- Yep. It’s a shirley temple in cupcake form. How fun!

Pineapple Coconut Cupcakes- The easiest, two ingredient cupcakes, topped with a delicious, light “frosting.” Enjoy!

Chocolate Malt Cupcakes- Decadent chocolate cupcakes with a chocolate malt frosting. For the serious chocolate lover in the family!

Okay, so there you have it.

27 of my family’s favorite weeknight recipes.

All at your fingertips in one delicious place! I hope you enjoy!

Now, time to get those backpacks packed up and ready with school supplies!

What? Want more Back to School Ideas?
Check out Inside BruCrew Life. She is sharing 15 back to school COOKIE recipes for you to enjoy. OR Pinterest: Back to School Ideas

ITheeCook August 9, 2012 at 10:44 am

What a great post! We still have four weeks to go for school to start here. I agree with the have to get organized for sure!

Averie @ Averie Cooks August 9, 2012 at 1:21 pm

thanks for an awesome roundup of ideas – and sniff…why does summer vacay always go by so fast?!

Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel August 9, 2012 at 2:04 pm

What an awesome roundup! I’m sure any kid would be thrilled to have a Shugary Sweets creation in their brown paper bag :)

stronglikemycoffee August 9, 2012 at 2:41 pm

You have the best food photography! I love how all of your “scenes” are set up! P.S. Those iced oatmeal cookies….I could eat 8 right now ;)

Aimee August 9, 2012 at 3:18 pm

Thank you so much! The oatmeals are one of my TOP favorite cookies on the blog EVER. Yeah.

sally @ sallys baking addiction August 9, 2012 at 4:49 pm

WHAT a round up, Aimee! Even though I have no kiddies going back to school, I do have a Kevin who likes to pack his lunch everyday! I think he’s propose if he found taco snack mix in there one day!

Aimee August 9, 2012 at 6:14 pm

Nothing wrong with a proposal over some tasty lunchbox food :)

claire @ the realistic nutritionist August 9, 2012 at 6:31 pm

This is such a great roundup of back to school snacks!! I’d love all of them :)

Jocelyn August 9, 2012 at 8:01 pm

I love that we both had oatmeal cream pies on our round up:-) there are so many awesome recipes show cased here. I most excited for your dinner ones…some of those are going on my list for sure. I can’t believe school is here already, but that does our shopping day is much closer:-)

Aimee August 9, 2012 at 10:27 pm

Yes! Shopping and bakery crawl in Indy…on the horizon!

Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust August 9, 2012 at 9:24 pm

Such a great round up Aimee! I’m looking forward to back-to-school but not the morning rush, ha!

Aimee August 9, 2012 at 10:28 pm

I hear ya Dorothy. Fortunately my two older ones get out the door earlier than I wake up…hubs gets them going! My younger two don’t start school until 9:30…I’ve already had a pot of coffee by then!

Lisa {Sweet 2 Eat Baking} August 9, 2012 at 10:58 pm

Fantastic round up, Aimee. They all look so delicious. My heart lays with cakes and desserts but I’m going to have to try some of those mains. Everything’s so inviting.

-Lisa.
P.S. I just saw a new post in my reader that said something about crinkle cookies in the first few sentences but when I clicked to see the post, it took me to a not found page. Am I missing something?
Sweet 2 Eat Baking

Ellen B Cookery August 9, 2012 at 11:07 pm

WOW! You’ve got some awesome recipes. We’re having a Blog Hop Recipe Swap tomorrow and hope you’ll pass by and post some of your cookie recipes. A great way to show both older and new recipes, but ask that you follow our theme for the week which is cookies this week.

Jen @ Savory Simple August 10, 2012 at 12:12 pm

Great roundup! I’m not headed back to school nor do I have kids to send, but I want to make these for myself!

Aimee August 11, 2012 at 3:03 pm

I say go for it! I tend to eat more of this than my kids anyways :)

Premium WordPress Themes August 12, 2012 at 2:41 pm

So many new things to try, where do I start!! :)

Aimee August 13, 2012 at 1:47 pm

Breakfast!!!

Nici Higby August 12, 2012 at 6:00 pm

All that yummy food is making me hungry! Thanks so much for stopping by Posed Perfection and leaving a comment. I am your newest follower. I hope you’ll visit again and click on the “Follow Me” button to add Pose Perfection to your GFC. Have a wonderful week!
Blessings,
Nici

Nici Higby August 12, 2012 at 6:00 pm

Blessings,
Nici

Six Sisters August 12, 2012 at 11:13 pm

Everything looks so yummy! Thanks so much for linking up to our “Strut Your Stuff Saturday!” We loved having you and hope you’ll be back soon! -The Sisters

Cindy August 13, 2012 at 3:34 am

Wow, this has some serious good treats–can’t wait to try a few!

Tiffany, aka Streusel August 24, 2012 at 4:18 pm

What a great post of all things good! If you don’t mind me asking how do you get those lovely borders around your photos?

Aimee August 24, 2012 at 4:36 pm

Hi Tiffany!
I use PicMonkey for all my photo editing. The collages were made on there too! It’s so easy to use!