Sometimes I think I have the best job!
Not only do I get to be a food blogger and create easy, delicious recipes for my online friends, but I occasionally get to bake for people in real life too!
This past year I’ve ventured out into doing dessert catering.
And I love it.
Recently, I was asked to cater a baby shower. One of my close friends was throwing a baby shower with a friend of hers FOR a friend of theirs.
Wait, hang in there…it gets less confusing, I promise.
Let me just say, the two gals throwing this shower outdid themselves!
I guess you can tell it was a baby shower for a girl. A sweet baby girl, to be named Kanella (a Greek family name).
That’s me up top there surrounded by all my treats I made for the shower.
One of the cutest things they did though, in the bottom right corner, is to give each guest a scrapbook page where they write down their wishes for the baby…wishes like, what do you hope the baby learns, loves, respects, looks like, etc… VERY cute idea! Each page then goes into a scrapbook they provided the mom-to-be.
All the gorgeous flowers came from one of the mother’s gardens. Just beautiful.
I created the burlap banner with Kanella’s name on it. One of the few crafts outside of the kitchen I’m capable of doing!
(see the burlap table runner I made for Christmas HERE)
As a party favor, each guest took home a decorated sugar cookies, with a “K” for Kanella, of course!
(yep, I made those)
I also made these delicious Vanilla Bean Cupcakes with Vanilla Bean Buttercream frosting.
The rich vanilla flavor is just over the top delicious. I use vanilla bean paste in this recipe. I LOVE VANILLA BEAN PASTE. Like a lot. I order mine HERE from Beanilla. I also get my vanilla beans from there as well! So worth it. The paste I buy two bottles at a time.
(PS you can put a drop in your root beer to jazz it up. OMG)
Thanks again Jennifer and Katie for sharing pictures from this special day. Congrats Krista on your baby girl!!!
For the Cupcake:
- 5 egg whites, room temperature
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 2 Tbsp vanilla bean paste
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 1/2 cup cake flour
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
For the Frosting:
- 1 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened (3 sticks)
- 4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 Tbsp vanilla bean paste
- 2-3 Tbsp whole milk
- For the cake, whisk together the egg whites, vanilla paste and 1/4 cup of the milk in small bowl until slightly combined. Set aside.
- In mixing bowl, beat butter and sugar for 2 minutes on medium. Add in dry ingredients and mix until combined. Slowly in a steady stream add in the egg white mixture. Beat in remaining milk.
- Fill cupcake liners half full with batter and bake in a 350 degree oven for about 15 minutes. Remove and cool in pan 5 minutes then transfer to a wire rack. Cool completely before frosting.
- For the frosting, beat butter for 5 minutes in mixing bowl until it becomes pale in color. Add sugar, vanilla and milk and beat for an additional 5 minutes until light and fluffy. Add more milk if necessary to get desired consistency.
- Fill pastry bag with frosting and pipe onto cooled cupcakes. I used Wilton Tip 32 and sprinkled the cupcakes immediately with white sparkling sugar. ENJOY!
- **cupcake recipe adapted from Sweetapolita
Copyright Shugary Sweets 2011-2014