Caramel Apple Truffles

by aimee @ shugarysweets on September 20, 2012

So here I am in the midst of apple week and I have a special dedication to today’s post.

Do you all know Jen from My Kitchen Addiction? Guess what? She’s having a baby girl!!

And today a bunch of us bloggers are throwing her a virtual baby shower. Thanks to Amber from Bluebonnets and Brownies and Tracy from Sugarcrafter for organizing this!

And I’m here. In the middle of apple week. What to make for a virtual baby shower? Can’t very well do a cute little cupcake….When it hit me. Babies…the apples of our eye. Get it? Yes?

Okay.
Anyways.

Here’s how I first “met” Jen. And how I’ve been stalking her ever since…

She hosts a monthy kitchen bootcamp on her blog. She gives a challenge, people submit their recipes, and she does a little roundup of some of the great stuff.

Way back when I was just a nobody in this blogging world (um, yeah, I’m totally assuming here that I’m now a somebody, just go with me), I had been reading a few blogs. Jen’s was one of the first one’s I started reading. In February 2011 she hosted a Kitchen Bootcamp for “braising and stewing.”

Guess who submitted a recipe (with an AWFUL photo)?

Yep. This girl.

See it here: ROUNDUP

So sweet of her to feature me like that! I think back then I wasn’t even officially a food blog, and only my family was reading….

I’m pretty sure my family has stopped reading at this point.

So. CONGRATS JEN on your little apple!
Hey. you could name her Apple. I hear all the cool kids are doing that. Just sayin….

I wish you all the love and joy that holding a sweet baby brings! May you and your husband be blessed!

If you haven’t entered the giveaway for all the Crunchpak Swag and extra goodies, click HERE!!

Caramel Apple Truffles are amazing. The center is filled with a homemade apple pie truffle filling (took me three tries to get this baby right)! Then it’s coated in caramel, chocolate and peanuts. I had several people who tried these say they are the best thing ever…I have to agree!

These little truffles here are a lot of work. I’m not going to lie. To clarify, it’s not hard work, just quite a few steps. But let me tell you they are so worth every step! Plus this recipe makes about 72 truffles. AND you can freeze them. So make them, freeze them, and eat one a day for the next 72 days. Or something like that….

Check out all the other participants in the Baby Shower here….

Bluebonnets & Brownies | Raspberry Lemon Fruit Dip
Healthy Green Kitchen | Guacamole with Pistachios
Tracey’s Culinary Adventures | Caramelized Onion, Gruyere and Bacon Spread
What Megan’s Making | Apple Spice Muffins
Cookin’ Canuck | Gorgonzola Cheese Cups with Pear & Hazelnut Salad
Bellalimento | Frozen Berry Shortcake
GoodLife Eats | Coconut Lemon Banana Bread

Check out all the other Applicious bloggers here

Jocelyn from Inside BruCrew Life

4 Sisters from Crumbs and Chaos
Carrie from Bakeaholic Mama
Averie from Averie Cooks
Cassie from Bake your Day
Ali from Jam Hands
6 Sisters from Six Sisters Stuff

Don’t forget to follow along on our Applicious Goodies Pinterest Board!!

Caramel Apple Truffles

by Shugary Sweets

Ingredients (about 72 truffles)

For the Truffle Center:

• 2 cup granulated sugar
  • 3/4 cup heavy cream
  • 1/4 cup unsalted butter
  • 3 cup white chocolate, chopped (or morsels)
  • 7oz jar marshmallow cream
  • 1 cup peeled apples, diced (I used crunchpak apples)
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp nutmeg
  • 1/2 tsp allspice

For the Coating:

• 2 bags (14oz each) Kraft caramels, unwrapped
  • 2 Tbsp water
  • 2 lb chocolate candy coating, melted
  • 1 1/2 cup lightly salted peanuts, chopped
Begin by mixing sugar, cream and butter in medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Stirring constantly, bring mixture to a boil. Continue to boil for 4 FULL minutes, stirring constantly.
Pour hot mixture into large freezer-safe mixing bowl. Add white chocolate, marshmallow, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice and apples. Mix until chocolate is completely melted (about 2 minutes). Freeze bowl for about 2 hours (or refrigerate overnight).
Scoop mixture into 1 1/2 inch balls on a large parchment paper lined cookie sheet. Stick a small popsicle stick (I found the mini sized ones at Michaels, about 2 inch) Refreeze for 2 hours. Don’t worry if they are misshapen. After this second freeze you can reform them into balls before dipping in caramel.
In large microwave safe bowl, add unwrapped caramels and water. Microwave on high for 2 1/2 minutes, stirring after each 30 second interval.
Dip each truffle in melted caramel, twisting and tapping until excess drips off. After dipping about a dozen, go back to the dipped ones and re-shape with your hands, pressing the caramel back into a ball shape. Freeze immediately! If truffles get too soft to dip in caramel, stick back in the freezer for 15 minutes. Go change your load of laundry. Have a snack. Then do the next dozen.
Once all truffles are dipped in caramel and in the freezer, melt your chocolate according to package directions. Pour melted chocolate in a bowl. Have your bowl of chopped peanuts next to it. Take your frozen truffles and dip in melted chocolate, tapping a couple times to remove excess chocolate. Sprinkle immediately with peanuts and return to parchment paper. Continue until all truffles have been dipped.
Now eat 2 as your reward. You deserve it! Store truffles in refrigerator. OR, if you’re not going to be using within several days, place truffles in freezer safe container or ziploc bag and freeze. Return to refrigerator to thaw for an hour before eating!
Powered by Recipage

sallys baking addiction September 20, 2012 at 12:58 pm

AIMEE!!! Look at all of that chocolate and caramel. When I saw these on facebook, i stopped all of my work and clicked right over lol! A spiced apple/marshmallow center looks incredible. these are so creative! they kind of remind me of your apple nachos! (in a way!)

Cassie/Bake Your Day September 20, 2012 at 1:45 pm

So sweet!! These look amazing too, perfect hand-held treats for a shower!

We Are Not Martha September 20, 2012 at 1:55 pm

Holy moly these are SUCH a good idea! They look so, so good and seasonal, too :)

Sues

Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel September 20, 2012 at 2:08 pm

A spiced apple and marshmallow truffle? Are you forreal? These look incredible, Aimee! And I love that it’s chocolate and caramel, with lots of nuts.. kind of like how I prefer my caramel apples, though they’re never this cute :)

Aimee September 20, 2012 at 8:08 pm

For Real!! Chocolate and Caramel apples are awesome!

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction September 20, 2012 at 2:30 pm

Thank you so much for your sweet post… And I’m so glad that we discovered each other through Kitchen Bootcamp!! :) I am lucky to have so many great friends!

These Caramel Apple Truffles are absolutely perfect for a baby shower… Yum! I am dying to give the recipe a try ASAP :)

Aimee September 20, 2012 at 8:08 pm

Congrats Jen! you deserve all the love and support today!

MissCandiquik September 20, 2012 at 3:33 pm

oh my gosh – these sound sinfully amazing… I could really use one right now.

Nicky @ Pink Recipe Box September 20, 2012 at 3:42 pm

I’ve never seen anything like these before and they look amazing! Pinning :)

Aimee September 20, 2012 at 8:09 pm

Thanks Nicky!!

Jocelyn September 20, 2012 at 4:21 pm

I am dying over here at the complete awesomeness you have created here!!! Love all the caramel and chocolatey goodness that is around the spiced apple marshmallow!!! You have outdone yourself again:-)

wallflourgirl September 20, 2012 at 6:53 pm

Aw, I will definitely have to make these for my parents’ anniversary–you know that Stevie Wonder Song, “You are the Apple of My Eye”? I’ll be playing that the entire time (it was their wedding song, too!). Thanks for sharing this wonderful recipe! I love the story of your start in the blogging world; such an inspiration for the rest of us lurking in the background ;)

Aimee September 20, 2012 at 8:09 pm

Oh man, a peek into my start is a scary thing. I hope to think I’ve come a long way :)

Paula-bellalimento September 20, 2012 at 8:55 pm

Those are absolutely adorable! I’ll take a dozen please!

Pamela Henderson September 20, 2012 at 8:58 pm

These look so delicious, I am pinning to make for later thanks for sharing!

Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust September 20, 2012 at 10:32 pm

YUM. Those look SO good. I love baby showers. And I love blog baby showers too!

Something Swanky September 21, 2012 at 12:08 am

These looks SO incredible!!!! Maybe my favorite apple recipe I’ve seen this week!! YUM!

Shiloh Barkley September 21, 2012 at 2:17 am

These truffles look so good. Ya know I think candy making is your forte.

DessertForTwo September 21, 2012 at 3:24 am

I must have a dozen of these all to myself right now! :)

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers September 21, 2012 at 12:02 pm

Apple, chocolate, truffles… Dam these look good!!!

Blog is the New Black September 23, 2012 at 5:16 pm

These look they are worth every step!

Tracy September 23, 2012 at 6:11 pm

These are absolutely gorgeous! Thank you for bringing them along to Jen’s virtual shower. They definitely look worth every step and I know I will be trying them soon!!

Julie @ Table for Two September 24, 2012 at 1:06 am

wow, i would devour so many of those like there’s no tomorrow.

Amber | Bluebonnets and Brownies September 24, 2012 at 1:58 am

So STINKIN’ adorable!!! These are just absolutely perfect for an autumnal baby shower, and I LOVE them. I can’t wait to make them! Thank you so much for joining us in Jen’s shower :)

Michelle C {Krumble Cakes and Sweets} September 24, 2012 at 4:03 am

OH I LOVE THESE! Too cute too eat but not too cute. Please share this on my link party, please? ;-)
Thank you!

Pam in Cincinnati September 28, 2012 at 8:57 pm

oh.my.yum! michael personally delivered my sample this morning and WOW was it ever yummy. i was the envy of our pod until he brought more around later in the day. thank you so much for sharing with us! :)

Kathy Everette September 29, 2012 at 6:31 pm

I made these and they never set up enough to roll into balls. I put them in the freezer and they still were too sticky, so finally I just lined a glass dish with waxed paper and poured them in covered with some melted caramel and chocolate. They taste really good but just never set, don’t know what I did wrong? Would love to master the technique because they would be really cute. Thanks for a great site.

Aimee September 29, 2012 at 10:22 pm

Hi Kathy. Couple things to double check…when boiling, did you let it boil a full 4 minutes (a good rolling boil)? Also, keeping it in the freezer for at least two hours before rolling into balls. Mine got soft after sitting at room temperature for too long. Once they were coated in caramel and chocolate they kept the shape just fine though. So sorry it didn’t work for you! Feel free to shoot me an email if you’d like to go over it more detailed. I want you to master the technique as well!!!!

Sara October 2, 2012 at 11:53 pm

The filling tastes so good, but mine were way to soft also. Even after freezing for 6 hours they did not hold any shape at all. I boiled the full 4 minutes. I am at higher altitude, would that make a difference? Will boiling longer help? And now to salvage can I reboil the whole thing? Or do you think that would ruin it since everything’s already mixed in? Also if I start over only making a half batch do I still boil 4 minutes? I so want to make these work! Thanks for any help.

Aimee October 3, 2012 at 12:30 am

Hmmm, I think I’m going to make this AGAIN this weekend to see why this recipe isn’t working for you all. I’m not sure if the altitude would make a difference or not. As long as you start your timer when the rolling boil starts, 4 minutes should be just fine! I wouldn’t recommend reboiling, since I’m assuming you’ve already put the chocolate in as well as the apples. I’m stumped as to why this isn’t working. If you make a half batch, yes, still boil the full four minutes. Guess I’m making some truffles this weekend! Not a bad thing for sure :)

Sheena Piel October 22, 2012 at 9:20 pm

I made these just yesturday, sounded so amazing! Unfortunitly the dough so completley unworkable for me, didnt hold even close to a ball shape. Tried it again, the very same thing happend…..is it just me? I measured very carefully…… help