Chicken and Chilies White Cream Soup

Hey friends! Halloween is over. In case you didn’t know.

Or are you in some sort of sugar coma? I know you’re expecting a crazy sweet dessert using up all those leftover candies that you have been munching on, one by one, every hour.

But I thought instead I would give you a dinner recipe! It’s been awhile since I shared a delicious dinner idea with you all! Don’t worry I’ll be back with some treats soon!!

So let’s get to it! This recipe started out with every intention of being a white chicken chili. But then it occurred to me, my family hates beans. Anyone else have this problem? All four of my kids, and my husband, hate beans. It’s quite a problem. So, I decided to play around with this and give you a hearty chicken and rice soup instead! I hope you enjoy this as much as we did! Serve it up with my favorite garlic knots or cheesy onion beer bread!

**soup will thicken as it sits, so eat immediately for best flavor and texture!!

If you like this Chicken Soup recipe, you may also enjoy these soup recipes….

Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Soup– a tasty chicken soup that simmers in your slow cooker all day, filled with all your favorite enchilada seasonings! by Shugary Sweets

White Chicken Chili– chicken chili with BEANS! by Inquiring Chef

Crockpot Chicken Chili- chicken soup with tomatoes and beans. by A Zesty Bite

Chicken and Chilies White Cream Soup

• 2 Tbsp olive oil
  • 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed
  • 1 can (4oz) chopped green chilies
  • 32 oz chicken broth
  • 3/4 cup Jasmine Rice (uncooked)
  • 2 tsp cumin
  • 1 tsp kosher salt
  • 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
  • 1/2 tsp garlic powder
  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • 4oz sour cream

1. In large soup pot, heat olive oil. Add chicken and cook until browned, about 10 minutes. Add green chilies, broth, rice, cumin, salt, pepper and garlic powder. Cover and simmer on low heat for about one hour, until rice is thoroughly cooked (stirring occasionally).
  2. Mix in heavy cream and sour cream, cover and heat on low for an additional 15-20 minutes. Season with more salt and pepper if necessary. Serve and enjoy!

Linked To: Chic and Crafty I’m Lovin It  Potluck

22 Responses to “Chicken and Chilies White Cream Soup”

1. posted Nov 1, 2012 at 9:32 am

We actually love beans but anything creamy and hearty like your recipe is a winner here.

2. posted Nov 1, 2012 at 10:27 am

I never used to like beans, but now I do! Maybe they will change their minds one day too :) This looks really good – warm and comforting!

• posted Nov 1, 2012 at 12:00 pm

I guess there’s hope for them, although my husband is a lost “bean” cause!!! Thanks for stopping by Stephanie!

3. posted Nov 1, 2012 at 10:27 am

This looks like a great soup to add to my rotation..we are huge soup addicts in my house! Yum.

4. posted Nov 1, 2012 at 10:40 am

I have a really good white soup to make!! I need to get on that. 😉

I’m doing a giveaway right now…

5. posted Nov 1, 2012 at 9:32 pm

Oh no – they don’t like beans!? But they’re so good! 😉 This looks like an awesome solution for a version without beans – I’ll definitely have to try it.

6. posted Nov 1, 2012 at 9:35 pm

Love it! Totally pinned for dinner next week. :)

7. posted Nov 1, 2012 at 10:52 pm

YUM!!! I love white chicken chili…with the beans:-) Yours looks so rich and creamy…perfect for a cold winter night. I gotta try this one for sure!!!

• posted Nov 2, 2012 at 6:43 am

If I were the only one eating this soup I would have totally added beans! ENJOY!

8. posted Nov 2, 2012 at 2:47 am

Oh man, this looks soooo good. It’s almost like my favorite sour cream chicken enchiladas, but in soup form. I’m not sure about the rice, but I suppose you need some kind of carb in there as a filler. I’m definitely making this next week.

9. posted Nov 2, 2012 at 8:16 am

What a gorgeous soup!

10. posted Nov 2, 2012 at 10:38 am

Love how rich and creamy this looks! Definitely adding this to our soup rotation!

11. posted Nov 2, 2012 at 1:53 pm

Ooh something tells me the flavors in this are incredible! Perfect for a chilly night :)

12. posted Nov 2, 2012 at 10:14 pm

I love that its soup season and this recipe looks so good! I would love if you would come share it at my new linky party, FriDays Made Sweet! at

13. posted Nov 3, 2012 at 4:40 pm

I cannot wait to make this. It looks so delicious.

14. posted Nov 5, 2012 at 6:46 am

Aimee! Yes, I am in a sugar coma after this past weekend. I made some incredible candy bar cookies with ALL sorts of candy bars in them…. so I am in need of a savory dish and something filling to keep me satisfied. I want to eat a huge bowl of this like everyday. I love creamy filling soups – esp as the weather gets colder and colder. It’s going to be 40F here today. NOT FUN. But what I love most about this chilly weather is warming up to a soup like this when I get home :)

15. posted Nov 5, 2012 at 9:13 pm

Aimee! I totally love the idea behind this soup – it kind of reminds me of my favorite green chile enchiladas! My hubby would totally love it :)

16. Kim
    posted Sep 28, 2013 at 11:14 pm

This looks great, I’d like to try yin with wild rice too!