Hot Chocolate Santa Hat Brownies

by aimee @ shugarysweets on November 19, 2012

I know. Thanksgiving is in two days. I know you are frantically searching the web for the perfect turkey brine and sweet potato casserole.

But here’s the thing. I’m not cooking this year. So, my mind is already focused on Christmas.

And I know there are some of you who don’t live in the US, and don’t celebrate Thanksgiving…so today, this post is for you!

These soft brownie bites are made with hot cocoa mix. And the frosting? It’s Cool Whip Vanilla Frosting. Have you tried this yet? Seriously good. And totally easy.

The creamy cool whip is a perfect pair with the hot cocoa brownies. And I think Santa would approve, yes?

If you enjoyed this Hot Chocolate Brownie recipe, you may also enjoy these recipes….

Pumpkin Pie Cupcakes with Cool Whip Frosting- perfectly spiced pumpkin cupcakes topped with a cinnamon spiked Cool Whip frosting! by Shugary Sweets

Mexican Hot Chocolate Cookies- these just look perfect, and sound amazing too! by Heather’s Dish

Hot Cocoa Cupcakes- the most adorable chocolate cupcakes with Cool Whip, and cute peppermint garnish! by Hoosier Homemade

Hot Chocolate Santa Hat Brownies

Yield: 30-36 brownie bites

Hot chocolate mix is the star of these brownies. Top them with delicious Cool Whip Frosting for the perfect Santa Hat treat!

• 1 1/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1/2 cup Swiss Miss milk chocolate hot cocoa mix
  • 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 3/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 tub (10.6oz) Vanilla Cool Whip Frosting, thawed
  • sprinkles
  • mini marshmallows

1. In a large mixing bowl, blend the sugar, flour, hot cocoa, cocoa powder, melted butter and eggs together. Mix until completely combined.
  2. Line a 13x9 baking dish with parchment paper. Pour batter into parchment paper. Bake in a 375 degree oven for 22-25 minutes. Remove and cool completely.
  3. Remove brownies from pan by lifting parchment paper. Place on cutting board. Using a 1 1/2 inch circle cookie cutter, cut brownies (save scraps in freezer for trifles!). Top each brownie with a swirl of Cool Whip frosting. I put my frosting in a pastry bag with an open tip and piped it onto each brownie. Immediately sprinkle with red sugar. Top with one mini marshmallow.
  4. Eat immediately or store in refrigerator until ready to serve. ENJOY!

Linked To: Crazy Sweet  Totally Tasty  Trick or Treat  Talent Show  Lil Luna  Show and Share

Ashley @ Kitchen Meets Girl November 19, 2012 at 9:26 pm

Oh my gosh, these are the cutest things I’ve ever seen! I hear you…I’m not cooking this year, so I’m totally on to Christmas stuff. I’m loving these–and I’ve got to get my hands on that Cool Whip frosting.

aimee @ shugarysweets November 19, 2012 at 10:10 pm

The Cool Whip Frosting is amazing. Totally amazing. Thanks for stopping by Ashley :)

kelly March 28, 2013 at 6:25 pm

can i please ask what cool whip is as i am in new zealand and we dont have that was wondering what i can use to make these?

Diane October 5, 2013 at 8:10 pm

Whipped cream. Cool whip is a non dairy replacement for it.

kelly October 8, 2013 at 5:07 am

Thank you Diane for that i have to try these for the kids table this year :-)

Sue/the view from great island November 19, 2012 at 9:44 pm

These are adorable…and it’s never too early for holiday baking!

aimee @ shugarysweets November 20, 2012 at 7:41 am

Thanks Sue! I agree :)
aimee @ shugarysweets recently posted..Hot Chocolate Santa Hat BrowniesMy Profile

Pamela November 19, 2012 at 10:14 pm

Oh my how cute and I know they are tasty!
Pamela recently posted..Cinnamon Spice Crumb CakeMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets November 20, 2012 at 7:43 am

Thanks Pamela! Glad you stopped by!

Liz@HoosierHomemade November 19, 2012 at 11:04 pm

These are adorable! And I bet really yummy too!
Thanks so much for including my hot cocoa cupcakes!
~Liz
Liz@HoosierHomemade recently posted..DIY Christmas Cinnamon GarlandMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets November 20, 2012 at 7:43 am

Your cupcakes are so adorable, I’m so glad to have found them!!! Thanks for the sweet comment Liz!

Liz November 19, 2012 at 11:06 pm

These are too cute! Thanks for thinking of your non-US friends because I’m totally all ready for the Christmas recipes! ;)
Liz recently posted..Coconut, Oatmeal, Raisin, Chocolate Bar CookiesMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets November 20, 2012 at 7:44 am

Liz, I actually thought of you specifically when I posted this…no joke!!

Jess November 20, 2012 at 2:26 am

Hot cocoa mix in brownies?! I Love it!
Jess recently posted..Two Years in Bangkok, Two Years of BloggingMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets November 20, 2012 at 7:45 am

Thanks Jess, I was surprised at how good they were too…as I proceeded to eat a dozen!

Averie @ Averie Cooks November 20, 2012 at 4:51 am

You’re SO creative, Aimee! They’re adorable!
Averie @ Averie Cooks recently posted..Oatmeal Raisin RollsMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets November 20, 2012 at 7:48 am

Thanks Averie, that means a lot to me!!

sally @ sallys baking addiction November 20, 2012 at 6:54 am

hot chocolate brownies! are adorably clever Aimee! And the cool whip frosting – I have got to try that! the circle shape, the sprinkles, the marshmallow tip. I agree with Averie – you are SO darn creative!!
sally @ sallys baking addiction recently posted..chocolate gingerbread bundt cake with cream cheese frosting.My Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets November 20, 2012 at 7:49 am

The Cool Whip frosting is simply divine. And you KNOW I love to make my own everything…this frosting is just so creamy, and it stands up to piping! Thanks for the sweet words, Sally!

Elaine @ Cooking to Perfection November 20, 2012 at 10:10 am

I love that you added hot chocolate to the brownies. I recently made hot chocolate cookies and they were to die for. I’ve gotta try this brownie version since these are so darn cute! Btw, where do you find the Coolwhip frosting? I’ve looked at my local grocery store and they don’t carry it yet. I might try Target this weekend to see if they have it!
Elaine @ Cooking to Perfection recently posted..Apple Cream Cheese MuffinsMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets November 20, 2012 at 1:03 pm

Hi Elaine, I have found the Cool Whip Frosting at Kroger and Walmart. It’s in the frozen food section, right next to the regular cool whip! Good luck, I hope you find it :)

Jessica@AKitchenAddiction November 20, 2012 at 10:46 am

These are so fun! Love the idea of hot chocolate in brownies!!
Jessica@AKitchenAddiction recently posted..Apple Cinnamon Pancakes with NECTRESSEMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets November 20, 2012 at 1:03 pm

Thank you Jessica! It was a perfect addition.

Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel November 20, 2012 at 11:32 am

These are SO adorable, Aimee! So genius. I heart Cool Whip!
Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel recently posted..Donut Bread Pudding PieMy Profile

Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust November 20, 2012 at 3:52 pm

I so need to get that frosting. These are adorable Aimee!
Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust recently posted..Crazy Sweet TuesdayMy Profile

Kayle (The Cooking Actress) November 20, 2012 at 4:42 pm

AHHH I LOVE CHRISTMAS!

These are adorable. Cuteness to the nth degree.
Kayle (The Cooking Actress) recently posted.."Snickers" Peanut Butter Caramel CornMy Profile

Nicole November 20, 2012 at 8:08 pm

These are so super cute and sound yummy! Great idea :)
Nicole recently posted..Artichoke & Roasted Garlic DipMy Profile

zentMRS November 20, 2012 at 8:24 pm

These are adorable! I’d love for you to share this at Tuesday’s Table for the Holidays – http://zentmrs.blogspot.com/2012/11/tuesdays-table-holiday-ideas.html

Ashton @ Something Swanky November 20, 2012 at 11:07 pm

Cute!!!

Jocelyn @BruCrew Life November 21, 2012 at 9:30 am

I am loving the tall piped cool whip hat covered in sugar…sooooo stinking cute;-) And hot chocolate in a brownie…oh yeah, that sounds awesome!!!
Jocelyn @BruCrew Life recently posted..Eggnog SconesMy Profile

Sarah C. November 27, 2012 at 8:19 am

Oh my lanz, I love this idea!
Sarah C. recently posted..Andes Mint Crunch BarkMy Profile

Herbivore Triathlete November 29, 2012 at 9:47 am

These are SUPER cute! These will absolutely be added to my Christmas baking list. I’m going to try to make them vegan as well.
Herbivore Triathlete recently posted..How to Stay Motivated When it’s COLD outside!My Profile

Wanda Ann November 29, 2012 at 3:28 pm

This is the best of both worlds, hot chocolate and brownies, and for the holiday’s! YUM!
Hugs,
Wanda Ann

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts December 4, 2012 at 1:11 pm

These are just too darn cute! Love brownies, and the idea of hot chocolate with them is perfect!
Erin @ Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts recently posted..Peanut Butter Cup Blossom Cookies #25recipestoXmasMy Profile

Kelly Senyei (Just a Taste) December 12, 2012 at 9:37 am

These are absolutely adorable! What a cute dessert idea that also functions as decor!
Kelly Senyei (Just a Taste) recently posted..Christmas Tree CupcakesMy Profile