Spice Up The Holidays with a Hot Choc-Colada

Hot Chocolada- homemade hot chocolate paired with pina colada #captainmorgan #spiceuptheholidays

Thanksgiving is over, I hope everyone enjoyed their turkey! And leftovers!

Today is a fun day around here! As my family can attest, I’m quite competitive (seriously, nobody will even play Monopoly with me anymore). When Food Network and Captain Morgan Rum asked me to be a part of their “Spice up the Holidays” competition, it was a no brainer. Of course I said YES!

Plus, the judge of this competition? None other than my favorite Top Chef competitor, Spike Mendelsohn!

The requirements of this competition will be creating three recipes using Captain Morgan Spiced Rum: one appetizer, one cocktail and one dessert. I will then be throwing a fun holiday party for friends featuring these recipes!

The winner will receive prizes, but most importantly, Captain Morgan will donate $1000 to the winner’s charity of choice. Now that’s the spirit of giving!

Here’s my question for all of you!

Do you have some great recipes with rum? Or recipes that really Spice Up YOUR Holidays? Leave me a comment below! Feel free to leave your recipe or a link to your recipe! I’m going to be throwing a Christmas party with some friends and I need all your ideas! Not only recipe ideas, but any tips on entertaining and throwing stress-free parties!

In the meantime, I made a delicious, warm drink for all of you! It’s a blend between hot chocolate and pina colada. I call it a “Hot Choc-Colada”

When I visited a friend several summers ago in Arizona, we drank the BEST pina coladas. The one thing I remember the most about those drinks is the rim of the cups were dipped in honey and then toasted coconut. Oh my. Every sip you enjoyed some of the sweet honey and crunchy coconut.

So of course, I had to add that to these cocktails. And it was perfect. I not only added rum to the hot chocolate mixture, but I “spiked” up my whipped cream with rum to top each of the drinks! “Spiked” the drinks…for Spike…I’m pretty sure my friends are going to LOVE this drink as much as I do!

Next week I’ll be sharing my appetizer recipe with all of you, as well as some tips on how to throw a Stress Free holiday party (is there such a thing??)!

Don’t forget to stop by Captain Morgan’s facebook page! There are some great cocktail recipes shared over there! And remember to keep the conversation going below, I need those ideas!!!

Spice Up The Holidays with a Hot Choc-Colada

Yield: 8 servings

Serving Size: 6-8oz each

Hot chocolate paired with pina colada! Serve this drink with some rum spiked whipped cream and toasted coconut!

For the Hot Chocolate:
  • 1 can (13.5oz) coconut milk
  • 1 can (14oz) sweetened condensed milk
  • 1/2 cup dark chocolate unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1 pinch of kosher salt
  • 3/4 cup pineapple juice
  • 3/4 cup Captain Morgan Spiced Rum
  • 4 cup water
  • For the Spiked Whipped Cream:
  • 1 cup heavy cream (cold)
  • 3 Tbsp granulated sugar
  • 3 Tbsp Captain Morgan Spiced Rum
  • For the Garnish:
  • 1/4 cup honey
  • 1/2 cup toasted coconut

For the Toasted Coconut:
  1. Preheat oven to 225 degrees. Pour bag of sweetened coconut flakes onto large baking sheet. Bake for 60-90 minutes, turning every 15 minutes until brown and toasted! Store in ziploc bag with all the air pressed out.
  2. For the Spiked Whipped Cream:
  3. In a cold mixing bowl, whip heavy cream on medium-high until soft peaks form. Beat in sugar and rum until fully incorporated. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
  4. For the Hot Chocolate:
  5. In a large pot over medium heat, whisk together the coconut milk, condensed milk, cocoa powder, salt and pineapple juice. Do not boil. Reduce heat to simmer and add rum and water. Continue heating until desired temperature.
  6. To serve:
  7. Place honey in small saucer. Put toasted coconut in a small bowl. Dip rims of glass into honey, letting the excess drip off. Immediately press rim into toasted coconut, coating rim completely. Pour hot chocolate into glass, about 1 inch from rim, depending on style of glassware. Pipe whipped cream onto each glass and sprinkle with excess toasted coconut. Serve hot! ENJOY!

**Shugary Sweets was given free product for this post and a gift card to cover my party expenses, however all opinions are my own!**

25 Responses to “Spice Up The Holidays with a Hot Choc-Colada”

1. Liz
    posted Nov 23, 2012 at 10:23 am

OMG! I am definitely going to have to try these – I’ve been craving hot chocolate all week! I love the added coconut on the rim too. I’ll see if I have some recipes for you and pass them along. Hope you have a fantastic weekend! :)

2. posted Nov 23, 2012 at 2:20 pm

Love the coconut milk AND sweetened cond milk – and the whole idea. And the contest! And that Spike’s a judge – everything about this whole post has me excited. Great job, Aimee!

3. posted Nov 23, 2012 at 8:31 pm

Oh my. I could get behind this!!!!

4. posted Nov 23, 2012 at 8:33 pm

I love this contest. Your picture makes me want to drink boozy hot chocolate!

5. posted Nov 24, 2012 at 10:16 am

I made mini pina colada upside down cakes with Malibu Rum, but I’m sure it would be just as good with Captain Morgan spiced rum.

I also made spice cupcakes with Kracken Spice Rum buttercream. Those were delicious too. I’ll find the recipes for both (if I can remember where my cake notes are).

6. posted Nov 26, 2012 at 3:04 am

I’m not much of a run person but I would gladly sip on this all day!

7. posted Nov 26, 2012 at 10:32 am

My goodness this looks AMAZING

8. posted Nov 27, 2012 at 10:27 am

This looks fabulous and perfect for the holiday season! Best of luck in the competition :)

9. posted Nov 27, 2012 at 8:42 pm

OH MY LAWWWDY, I would love one of these right now! It looks AMAZING, Aimee! I like rum a leeeettle too much. And Spike was one of my fave Top Chef contestants, too!

10. posted Nov 29, 2012 at 11:47 am

Who would have known that chocolate, coconut, pineapple and rum sound so good together!
    My entertaining tip – Make the hot chocolate ahead of time and then put into carafes/thermos so it stays hot and guests can serve themselves. Then you can relax and enjoy your guests. I just did this for a party and it worked out great!

11. Stephanie W
    posted Nov 29, 2012 at 9:46 pm

Hey, I know those pina coladas!! 😉 I’m going to have to try this recipe, it looks A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!

• posted Nov 29, 2012 at 10:34 pm

Yes you do! Those were amazing, right?! We need another girls weekend, soon!

12. posted Nov 29, 2012 at 9:48 pm

Hi !! im from México and thank you very much for you recipe i loved!!! i was thinkink where can i find the rum and today i found it in the super i was very happy because i said yuppi now i will make this recipe perfectly!!! hahahahaha by the way your blog is amazing i like very much!!!

• posted Nov 29, 2012 at 10:33 pm

Hugs to you in Mexico!!! Thanks for taking the time to read my blog, and comment, and make my recipes!!! ENJOY the hot chocolate drink!

13. posted Dec 1, 2012 at 4:59 pm

Wow, does that ever look inviting! It makes me want to swan dive right in!

• posted Dec 1, 2012 at 7:33 pm

Awww thanks! That means alot to me, coming from an amazing cook like yourself!

14. rally618
    posted Jan 6, 2014 at 8:30 pm

I could use some tonight.We are stuck inside till Wednesday.Wind chill is 40 below and worse.Actual temp minus 12.

15. posted Jan 20, 2014 at 12:35 pm

Oh wow, this sounds divine! Def need to give it a go :)

16. Pingback: Lily & Frog Friday 5: 5 “Adult” Hot Chocolate Drinks | Lily & Frog

17. Pingback: Slow Cooker Egg Nog Hot Cocoa - Shugary Sweets

18. Pingback: Hot Chocolates You Have To Make This Winter | WORLD Warotter

19. liz powell
    posted Nov 30, 2014 at 5:22 pm

I love Captain Morgan’s. One of my family’s favourite desserts is my own twist on the Caribbean in my trifle. Raspberry jelly… add raisins which have marinated for a few hours in Captain Morgan’s rum (spiced or original) and a few tots added when introducing to the jelly;) when set add a layer of vanilla blancmange made with half milk/half coconut milk, then a layer of whipped cream. Decorate with a crushed chocolate Flake and dessicated coconut (roasted optional). Warms you inside and out in rainy Wales!!!… and you can dream you are on a Caribbean beach sipping rum punch!

20. Pingback: mdm! | Време е за горещ шоколад! Виж рецептите ни

21. Pingback: 22 Hot Chocolates You Have To Try This Winter ⋆ The NEW N!FYmagThe NEW N!FYmag

22. Pingback: 25 Alcoholic Beverages for the New Years