Pomegranate Scones with #AmericasTea

by aimee @ shugarysweets on January 14, 2013

Pomegranate Scones- delicious scones make with fresh POMS and Bigelow tea #cbias #americastea @shugarysweets

My husband and I have this nightly ritual of getting our kids tucked in and enjoying a cup of tea. We may not necessarily sit near eachother, one of us (AHEM, me) might be on the computer while the other is reading a book. But we enjoy our tea in this house! His favorite is Earl Grey. Mine is anything fruity.

I enjoy drinking green tea throughout the day, I heard it’s good for you! I’ve even replaced some of my cups of coffee with green tea! So when I was asked to try Bigelow tea I knew I was going to love it.

Pomegranate Scones from www.shugarysweets.com #cbias #americastea

Because I already drink it! I love how each packet is individually wrapped. I like to keep a bowl of assorted teas on my counter so I can choose which one I’m in the mood to drink (my hubs is always in the mood for Earl Grey, have I mentioned that yet?)! I also love that Bigelow is a family owned company. The Constant Comment flavor (which is one of my favorites) is their original tea and brand name. The company has such a deep family history that I enjoyed learning more about, HERE. Walmart has a great selection of all their flavors at a great price, in case you’re interested! You can see my shopping experience HERE.

Pomegranate Scones from www.shugarysweets.com #cbias #americastea

Pomegranate Scones from www.shugarysweets.com #cbias #americastea

I don’t make scones very often. I have always been a coffee drinker and biscotti pairs so nicely with coffee. But since I’m trying to drink more tea (and I can’t give up my sweet tooth) I thought I would create a delicious scone for you to enjoy. Look how fluffy these came out! Better than Panera’s Orange Scone. In case you were wondering.

Pomegranates are in season right now, so it was a perfect choice to pair with the Bigelow Pomegranate Tea. I infused some of the tea into the scone AND the glaze. I also used greek yogurt to add some nice texture to these scones. I think you are going to love them!

I know when it was my turn to make tea the other night, it was a nice surprise for my husband to see a plate of these show up!

Connect with Bigelow Tea:

Website | Facebook | Twitter | Blog

Pomegranate Scones

Yield: 16 scones

For the Scone:
  • 3 cup all purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/4 tsp kosher salt
  • 1 Tbsp baking powder
  • 3/4 cup unsalted butter, cubed
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
  • 1/2 cup tea (see note below)
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 pkg (4.3oz) Pom Poms Wonderful fresh arils (pomegranate seeds)
  • For the Glaze:
  • 1 1/3 cup powdered sugar
  • 3 Tbsp tea (See note below)

1. NOTE: Prepare tea for scones by boiling 1/2 cup water. Add 4 Pomegranate Bigelow tea bags and steep for 3-4 minutes. Set aside.
  2. Meanwhile, combine flour, sugar, salt and baking powder in a large mixing bowl. Add in butter (I used the beater blade of my mixer- you can also use a pastry cutter). Mix until it resembles course crumbs.
  3. Add in eggs, greek yogurt, 1/2 cup pomegranate tea and vanilla. Combine completely. Fold in pomegranate seeds.
  4. On a large baking sheet with parchment paper (or silpat), shape dough into a large rectangle using your hands. I dusted my hands with extra flour to keep it from sticking to me.
  5. Press your rectangle to about 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch thick...mine measured about 12inx8in. Cut into 3 even sections vertically, and cut in half horizontally. You will now have 8 squares. Make 2 large X's on each half of the dough, resulting in 16 triangles.
  6. bkae in a 350 degree oven for 35 minutes. Remove from oven and using a pizza cutter, slice again over your previous cuts. Return to oven for an additional 5 minutes.
  7. Remove and cool completely before applying glaze.
  8. For the glaze: boil 1/2 cup water with 4 pkg of tea bag and steep for 3-4 minutes. Remove 3 Tbsp of tea and add to a bowl with the powdered sugar. Whisk together until smooth (discard remaining tea). Spoon glaze over each scone, allow to set, about 30 minutes. ENJOY!

I am a member of the Collective Bias® Social Fabric® Community.  This shop has been compensated as part of a social shopper insights study for Collective Bias® and Bigelow Tea #CBias #SocialFabric #AmericasTea”

Andrea Kruse January 14, 2013 at 1:30 pm

Yum! I love using tea in baking and cooking. Haven’t tried the Pomegranate yet, though. The scones turned out beautiful! Great post.

aimee @ shugarysweets January 14, 2013 at 3:32 pm

Thanks Andrea. This is the first time I’ve used tea in my baking. I LOVE IT.
aimee @ shugarysweets recently posted..Pomegranate Scones with #AmericasTeaMy Profile

Sandy January 14, 2013 at 1:52 pm

Could you substitute Pomegranate molasses for the tea? I just happen to have the molasses, that is why I’m asking.

aimee @ shugarysweets January 14, 2013 at 2:24 pm

Oh, I don’t know about that. Molasses has a different texture than tea, so it might through off the texture and cooking time of the scones!

Helene January 14, 2013 at 4:05 pm

Wow that sounds delicious!!! I have to try your recipe soon, never did scones :(
I love pomegranate :)
Sweet post!
Helene recently posted..Pomegranate; (Punica granatum)…My Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets January 14, 2013 at 6:56 pm

I love that you posted about pomegranates today too! I’m too lazy to buy them whole (although my kids don’t mind picking at them) I much prefer to buy the little packages of fresh pomegranate seeds!

Nicole @ youngbrokeandhungry January 14, 2013 at 4:13 pm

I love infusing tea into baked goods. It always gives off so much great flavor. And these scones would be perfect for breakfast.
Nicole @ youngbrokeandhungry recently posted..Eggs in a Smoky Tomato SauceMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets January 14, 2013 at 7:01 pm

This is the first time I’ve used tea to flavor a baked treat….and I’m hooked!!! Thanks for stopping by today Nicole!

amy @ fearless homemaker January 14, 2013 at 5:09 pm

YUM! I love tea, too, especially the fruity kinds. And I’d love one of your scones with my afternoon cup! =)

aimee @ shugarysweets January 14, 2013 at 7:02 pm

Well what are you waiting for? Come on over :)

Medeja January 14, 2013 at 6:12 pm

Lovely! That actually made me thinking that I should probably have tea together with my husband more often.. :)

aimee @ shugarysweets January 14, 2013 at 7:03 pm

Awww thanks Medeja! I think you should too!

Melissa Lawler January 14, 2013 at 6:51 pm

The scones sounds so yummy!
Melissa Lawler recently posted..Hot White Chocolate with Chocolate Marshmallow Whipped CreamMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets January 14, 2013 at 7:05 pm

Thanks Melissa. I think they would go nicely with a cup of your Hot White Chocolate too!!!

Melissa Lawler January 14, 2013 at 7:07 pm

LOL! I bet they would! I have bookmarked your recipe and as soon as I have an oven again I will do a gluten free conversion on it.
Melissa Lawler recently posted..Bring Your Own Lettuce #BYOLMy Profile

Jennifer @ Mother Thyme January 14, 2013 at 9:26 pm

I am a huge tea drinker, especially in the evening when the kiddos are in bed. These scones are a perfect pairing with a nice cup of tea!
Jennifer @ Mother Thyme recently posted..Organize Now! Week 1: ScheduleMy Profile

Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust January 14, 2013 at 10:06 pm

These look delicious Aimee! I need to get on the scone wagon. :)
Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust recently posted..Peanut Butter BaklavaMy Profile

Jocelyn @BruCrew Life January 14, 2013 at 11:43 pm

I love that you infused the tea into the scone and the glaze…YUM! I don’t like to get the seeds out of pomegranates either…the bagged ones are the way to go!!!
Jocelyn @BruCrew Life recently posted..Trick or Treat TuesdayMy Profile

jodye @ chocolate and chou fleur January 15, 2013 at 12:20 am

Growing up in a British family, I have eaten my fair share of scones throughout my life, but they’re generally of the plain, raisin studded sort, and definitely never too sweet. Served with strawberry jam and the requisite (and completely non-vegan) clotted cream, scones were definitely one of my favorite childhood treats. I made a vegan version once, but never tried adding pomegranate arils (let alone any other fruit). The tea sounds like it would add such a nice dimension, too!
jodye @ chocolate and chou fleur recently posted..Protein Packed Apple Cinnamon Quinoa MuffinsMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets January 16, 2013 at 9:32 pm

Thanks Jodye, these were definitely not plain. I hope you try them and let me know what you think!!
aimee @ shugarysweets recently posted..Skinny Beef Enchiladas (PLUS a bonus recipe)My Profile

Meghan @ The Tasty Fork January 15, 2013 at 11:48 am

I saw your instagram pics of these scones. Thanks for posting the recipe! Look soo goood!! Never would’ve thought to add tea to a glaze!
Meghan @ The Tasty Fork recently posted..Very Berry Oatmeal Muffins and Valentine’s Day Themed Giveaway!My Profile

rachelle January 15, 2013 at 5:34 pm

Hi – these sound so good! I’m going to make these this week, can I use something else instead of tea? Love for my kids to try these scones and don’t need them crazy on caffeine haha…

aimee @ shugarysweets January 16, 2013 at 7:21 am

You can just use water if desired. But you will lose some of the pomegranate flavor. You can also try pomegranate juice, that might work too!

carolinaheartstrings January 15, 2013 at 8:26 pm

Those look wonderful. I would say you have a winner with this one.
carolinaheartstrings recently posted..ANTIQUES – A CARVED COLLECTIONMy Profile

Baking Serendipity January 15, 2013 at 9:33 pm

I love your tea tradition! And these scones look fantastic …the perfect pairing :)
Baking Serendipity recently posted..Trail Mix Banana BreadMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets January 16, 2013 at 9:40 pm

Thank you!! We love our nightly tea :) And I just realized by the way, that all your comments on my blog were going to spam the past two weeks. So sorry. I’m getting them now :)

Brandie January 18, 2013 at 8:10 am

Having tea at night is a fairly new thing for me, but I’ve been loving it! It’s wonderful that you and your husband have this time each night. And your scones sound and look delicious! I’ve never made scones, but this looks like a great one to try.
Brandie recently posted..Join the Weekend Kitchen Club Link Party!My Profile

Carol | a cup of mascarpone January 18, 2013 at 10:49 am

I adore scones, and this is such a wonderful, unique recipe using pomegranate! Love!
Carol | a cup of mascarpone recently posted..laura bush’s cowboy cookiesMy Profile

Roxana | Roxana's Home Baking January 19, 2013 at 8:29 pm

I love my tea as well and love making scones (sometimes hubby makes fun of me I have British roots). Your pom scones sound and look wonderful Aimee
Roxana | Roxana’s Home Baking recently posted..Bread Baking 101 – Types of flour and how to accurately measure flourMy Profile

Laura @FrugalFamilyTree January 23, 2013 at 5:49 pm

Your pom scones look delicious. Tea at night is a great way to relax. My husband loves green tea :)
Laura @FrugalFamilyTree recently posted..Wordless WednesdayMy Profile

Alison January 24, 2013 at 10:12 pm

I love fresh scones. Pom ones would be fantastic especially with a mug of pomegranate tea.
Alison recently posted..Wholesome Wednesday: Kale PestoMy Profile

Sylvia November 14, 2013 at 9:20 am

I tried making scones a couple weeks ago and they were more of a dry cake texture. Although they were really good, I’m used to a scone having a crunch. So, now I’m on a scone quest. LOL Think I’ll try yours next.
Sylvia recently posted..Sloppy Joe RecipeMy Profile

Paula Anderson May 28, 2014 at 1:20 pm

Not sure if I posted this before, but next time pomegranates are in season (fall), you can freeze the seeds in ZipLoc baggies! I am still using mine that were frozen last fall. They scoop right out and go into salads or cottage cheese and now into your wonderful scone recipe!