Salted Caramel Hot Cocoa Bars

Salted Caramel Hot Cocoa Bars- rich and chewy fudge brownies filled with caramel, chocolate and marshmallows. #saltedcaramel #hotchocolate www.shugarysweets.com

Who was the genius that thought, let’s add a little salt on top of our caramel treats? I mean really? Sounds totally weird, but it works! By now I’m sure you’ve all had salted caramel. Right? I was at a local coffee shop a few weeks ago and had a salted caramel hot cocoa. It was To.Die.For.

Okay. Not really To.Die.For, but it was totally amazing. I mean, in one sip you can taste the caramel, the salt, the chocolate.

Since I am normally a coffee drinker, I thought it best to take that flavor of salted caramel hot cocoa and put it into a dessert. Like a brownie dessert.

I added the hot cocoa mix to give the bars the chocolate flavor. I also folded in some caramel bits and mini marshmallows (which dissolve and give the bars their chewy texture). When they are done cooking, add your chocolate drizzle on top, a sprinkle of coarse kosher salt and the little, itty bitty marshmallow bits! These are a must. They are just like the ones you get in hot cocoa packets, all hard and crunchy (not chewy). Perfect for the garnish on your hot cocoa brownies.

Then serve these bars to your favorite person. And feel free to make a side of hot cocoa to go with it (or coffee, like I prefer)! My recipe for hot cocoa is below if you want to give it a try!

My friend, Jocelyn at Inside BruCrew Life made some Caramel Hot Chocolate Fudge today. I am a little sad that it didn’t show up in my mailbox, guess I will have to make it myself! Go check it out HERE.

Connect with Shugary Sweets!

Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Pinterest | Bloglovin’

Want more Hot Cocoa Recipes?

Hot Chocolate with Peppermint Whipped Cream easy, homemade hot cocoa served with frozen whipped cream hearts!

Homemade Hot Cocoa with peppermint Whipped Cream

Hot Chocolate Santa Hat Brownies: delicious hot cocoa mix in the brownies topped with Cool Whip Frosting!

Hot chocolate santa hat brownies

Hot Choc-Colada: hot chocolate meets pina colada in this tasty hot beverage! Sounds strange but it’s delish!

Hot choc-colada

Do you love chocolate? Here are a few more of my favorite chocolate recipes:

Double Dark Chocolate Raspberry Cookies: you will love these for Valentine’s day…just need to find those raspberry kisses!

Double Dark Chocolate Raspberry Cookies

Cherry Chocolate Torte: enjoy this decadent torte with layers of macadamia crust, chocolate mousse and white chocolate. Topped with dunked rum cherries.

Drunken Chocolate Cherry Torte

• 1/2 tsp kosher salt
  • 2 cup mini marshmallows
  • 1 cup Kraft caramel bits
  • 1/4 cup milk chocolate morsels, melted
  • 1/4 cup Kraft Jet-Puffed Mallow Bits
  • 1/2 tsp kosher salt

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 13x9 baking dish with parchment paper.
  2. In a small bowl, melt 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate morsels with butter in microwave, stirring every 30 seconds until combined.
  3. In a large mixing bowl, add brown sugar, hot cocoa mix, eggs and vanilla. Add melted chocolate mixtures, flour, baking powder and salt. Mix until thoroughly combined. Fold in mini marshmallows and caramel bits. Pour into baking dish. Bake for 25 minutes. Remove from oven. Cool completely. Drizzle with melted chocolate and sprinkle the mallow bits and salt on top. Cut into squares and refrigerate. ENJOY!

Linked To: Talent Show  Trick or Treat  Lil Luna  What’s Cookin  36th Avenue  Chic and Crafty  I’m Lovin it

35 Responses to “Salted Caramel Hot Cocoa Bars”

1. posted Jan 20, 2013 at 4:33 pm

Man! I absolutely love salted caramel in any way, shape, or form! These bars look to die for! I sure wish I had a stack of those in my hand right now…just to be sure they taste as good as they look. Not that I have any doubts…I’ve had your goodies and they are ALWAYS yummy! We definitely need to do this again. It is so fun to team up together!!!

• posted Jan 20, 2013 at 9:31 pm

I love planning recipes with you!! maybe we need a joint blog? hehe!!!!

2. posted Jan 20, 2013 at 4:35 pm

I’m loving these tiny marshmallows right now, and I just saw at target this morning, they also make chocolate flavored!

• posted Jan 20, 2013 at 9:33 pm

Shiloh, I love that you were on the same wavelength with this hot cocoa cake!!! YUMMERS

3. posted Jan 20, 2013 at 5:08 pm

Now this is fabulous, Aimee! There’s everything I want going on – caramel, marshmallows, hot cocoa, chocolate, and in a dense and awesome looking bar! Pinned!

• posted Jan 20, 2013 at 9:33 pm

Thanks Averie! I am pretty much in love with these bars too! thanks for pinning!

4. posted Jan 20, 2013 at 6:27 pm

I love me some salted caramel hot chocolate! Definitely going to try these after a trip to the store. Thanks for the recipe!

5. posted Jan 20, 2013 at 6:53 pm

Why haven’t I tried anything with salted caramel? :/ Anyway.. I think the look of these bars has convinced me :D

• posted Jan 20, 2013 at 9:35 pm

Oh no! Haven’t tried it yet? Get on board the salted caramel train! Amazing.

6. posted Jan 20, 2013 at 7:21 pm

I have no idea who thought of it, but that person is a genius. I am in LOVE with salted caramel, especially hot chocolate. And these bars are amazing Aimee!

• posted Jan 20, 2013 at 9:36 pm

I wish it were me. Then you could say, my genius friend Aimee came up with salted caramel!! haha!!!

7. posted Jan 20, 2013 at 9:15 pm

Just the name itself can get all my attentions! I’ve always love salty and sweet combination. :) These must be divine and they look so delicious!

• posted Jan 20, 2013 at 9:37 pm

Sometimes we just get drawn to key words. For me it’s pretty much anything with chocolate, caramel, marshmallow, lemon, orange, fudge, chewy, crunchy, sweet…hahahha!!!!

8. posted Jan 20, 2013 at 11:46 pm

Um, Wow! These look sooo good! I want! I want! I want!

9. posted Jan 20, 2013 at 11:47 pm

Aimee, these bars are the epitome of a perfect breakfast treat for me: combining my love for sweets with my love for salted caramel mochas. Seriously, I would like to hug the person who invented sea salt + caramel because the combination is irresistible!

10. posted Jan 21, 2013 at 3:44 am

Why haven’t I tried anything with salted caramel,it sounds totally out of the world. Even If i go by the looks alone. I have to give it a try for sure.

11. posted Jan 21, 2013 at 9:25 am

Oh, dear. Now I absolutely have to go make something chocolaty and sprinkle kosher salt on it!! :)

12. posted Jan 21, 2013 at 9:52 am

OMG!!! It’s all I can say! These are the most inviting choclate bars ever! I want them!!

13. posted Jan 21, 2013 at 10:25 am

Ooooh these bars look absolutely scrumptious! I love the idea of translating the flavors of salted caramel hot chocolate into bars!

14. posted Jan 21, 2013 at 11:26 am

I am the biggest fan of anything with caramel, especially salted caramel and these look so amazing! Chocolate is also on my love team.

15. posted Jan 21, 2013 at 11:43 am

Yep whoever thought of salt + caramel is up there with the person who made peanut butter + chocolate. So yum. These bars look amazing!!

16. posted Jan 21, 2013 at 12:07 pm

Everything I love in one bar. . .perfect!

17. posted Jan 21, 2013 at 8:51 pm

I am not a coffee drinker – more of a tea or hot chocolate drinker here. I am a brownie addict too, so I am all over these bars!

18. posted Jan 21, 2013 at 11:13 pm

That bit of salt realy does wonders, doesn’t it? I’m always amazed at how much it brings out the flavors! These bars look fantastic.

• posted Jan 22, 2013 at 4:47 pm

Thanks Jess, I think it makes a world of a difference. But I tend to love sweet and salty!!

19. posted Jan 23, 2013 at 2:04 pm

Yum, these look amazing. I think once you’ve tried salted caramel there’s no going back!

20. posted Jan 23, 2013 at 11:12 pm

These sound delicious Aimee! Salted Caramel=yum!
    Mackenzie :)
    cheeriosandlattes.com

21. posted Jan 25, 2013 at 10:43 am

So I’m back because I wanted to let you know I made these yesterday and they are DELICIOUS! I need to get the rest out of my house before I eat them all. You know they are good when every time my husband goes in the kitchen he cuts himself off a bite. :)

22. val
    posted Jan 25, 2013 at 5:07 pm

These bars look so incredible.

23. posted Apr 9, 2013 at 12:48 am

very good and cool,thank you for your sharing. http://youtu.be/iLPumcKZEBU

24. Jessica
    posted Dec 20, 2013 at 4:36 pm

Ohh those look so good! What are Kraft Caramel Bits?

25. Pingback: Caramel Shortbread Bars - Life Love and Sugar

26. Pingback: Chocolate Brownies with Homemade Caramel Sauce and Salted Caramel Frosting - Shugary Sweets

27. Pingback: 25 Hershey’s Kisses Recipes That’ll Get You Chocolate Wasted | News & Stuff