Skinny Beef Enchiladas (PLUS a bonus recipe)

by aimee @ shugarysweets on January 16, 2013

Skinny Slow Cooker Beef Enchiladas: a delicious dinner that makes a bonus meal: French Dip Sammies #slowcooker #enchiladas www.shugarysweets.com

Today I have a double recipe for you! Cook once, eat twice. I don’t know about you all, but I love making a big roast. It smells so good on a cold winter day!

However, leftovers can get boring. So why not plan a second meal for those leftovers? Today, I’m sharing a past recipe (for my French Dip Sandwiches) and a new recipe to use up the leftover beef. Plus these enchiladas are a little on the lighter side.

Lighter for me. Yes they are beef. I get it. But, I used only 1 1/2 cup reduced fat cheese (for the whole pan) and I used high fiber whole wheat tortillas. Feel free to substitute what your family would prefer.

So, want to know how to plan this dinner? Got your shopping list ready?

Slow Cooker French Dip Sandwiches from www.shugarysweets.com

Day One: Slow Cooker French Dip Sammies: put your roast in your slow cooker with all your seasonings. Turn it on low and let it do the work. When it’s time to eat, break out your favorite sliced cheese (we love colby-jack on our sandwiches) and crusty rolls. Assemble and eat. If you want, you can go an extra step and toast the cheese on your sandwich. Reserve your au jus for dipping your sammies. YUM. To save your meat for dinner number 2, store 4 cups of meat in a ziploc bag or other airtight container separate from your leftover au jus. (Feel free to keep the leftover juice though in case you don’t use all your meat for your enchiladas). Make sense?

Day Two: Simmer your beef on the stovetop with required sauce and seasonings. Assemble enchiladas and bake. Serve and ENJOY!!! You can also skip the french dip sammies, cook your roast in your slow cooker, then begin my next step of simmering your beef on the stovetop. The recipe will be written this way!

Want more dinner ideas? Here are some of my favorite Slow Cooker meals:

Slow Cooker BBQ Brisket: who says brisket has to be dry and boring? Not when you cook it my way!

Slow Cooker BBQ Brisket: from www.shugarysweets.com

Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Soup: a hearty, spicy soup for your cold winter day!

Slow Cooker chicken enchilada soup from www.shugarysweets.com

Slow Cooker Chipotle Pork with Mango Slaw: one of my favorite dinners. Ever. Served with corn muffins you can’t go wrong!

Slow cooker Chipotle Pork with Mango Slaw from www.shugarysweets.com

Slow Cooker Barbacoa with Cilantro Lime Rice: move over Chipotle, copy cat recipe here!

Slow Cooker Barbacoa with cilantro-lime rice from www.shugarysweets.com

Connect with Shugary Sweets!

Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Pinterest | Bloglovin’

Lighter Beef Enchiladas

Delicious beef enchiladas the whole family will love!

For the Beef:
  • 5 pounds Beef Rump Roast
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 2 tsp Grill seasoning (I use McCormick)
  • 1 1/2 tsp onion powder
  • 2 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
  • 2 Tbsp beef bouillon granules
  • 2 Tbsp minced onion
  • 1 1/2 cup beef stock
  • 12 ounces Beer (darker the better)
  • For the Enchiladas:
  • 4 cup shredded beef (**see note below)
  • 1 yellow onion, small, diced
  • 2 cans (10oz each) Red enchilada sauce, divided
  • 2 tsp ground cumin
  • 1/2 cup cilantro, snipped, divided
  • 1 1/2 cup reduced fat Colby Jack cheese, shredded
  • 8 whole wheat, high fiber tortillas

1. Place roast in large crockpot. Season with salt, grill seasoning, onion powder, garlic powder, pepper, beef bouillon and minced onion. Add broth and beer to crockpot, cover and cook on low for 8 hours.
  2. Take out the meat, slice or shred it (it will be falling apart). Strain the au jus so there are no clumps of meat or fat (I just use a mesh strainer). (Serve french dip on french bread with cheddar cheese and side of au jus).
  3. **NOTE: The above recipe for beef will provide enough for one pan of enchiladas and 8 french dip sandwiches. Feel free to save the beef in a ziploc freezer bag for future use if not using immediately.
  4. For the enchiladas, saute 4 cups of cooked, shredded beef in a large skillet with the diced onion, ONE can of enchiladas sauce and cumin. Cook for about 5 minutes to allow flavors to combine. Add 1/4 cup cilantro.
  5. Fill 8 tortillas, using all the meat and sauce, folding them up and laying them in a glass 13x9 baking dish. Pour second can of enchilada sauce over top of tortillas. Top with shredded cheese. Cover dish with foil. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 20 minutes. Remove foil and bake an additional 5 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup cilantro. SERVE and enjoy!

LinkedTo: Chic and Crafty  I’m Lovin It

Medeja January 16, 2013 at 5:30 pm

Great way to use leftovers :D too bad I usually don’t have any beef leftovers :D
Medeja recently posted..Lašiša Medaus ir Apelsinų Sulčių Marinate / Honey and Orange Marinated SalmonMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets January 16, 2013 at 9:08 pm

Then you will just have to make a roast so you can have both of these dinners!!!

teresa January 16, 2013 at 6:28 pm

this is such a great idea. i love being able to make a completely separate meal out of one cut of beef. they both look delicious too!

aimee @ shugarysweets January 16, 2013 at 9:08 pm

Thanks Teresa. I love that they are two completely different flavor profiles with one meat. ENJOY.

Jenn@eatcakefordinner January 16, 2013 at 7:31 pm

These look yummy – great pic!
Jenn@eatcakefordinner recently posted..Kelsey’s Rapid Rise RollsMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets January 16, 2013 at 9:19 pm

Thanks Jenn! I liked the way these photos came out. Although I really liked the way the enchiladas tasted!
aimee @ shugarysweets recently posted..Skinny Beef Enchiladas (PLUS a bonus recipe)My Profile

Julie @ Table for Two January 16, 2013 at 8:06 pm

i love the lighter version of this enchilada dish! i’m a huge fan of mexican food and anything light always makes me happy! :)
Julie @ Table for Two recently posted..Skinny Chicken & Broccoli AlfredoMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets January 16, 2013 at 9:20 pm

You’re so good about lightening up your dishes (look at your meal today)! It really wasn’t missing too much by cutting out a few things. I may be on to something!

Ashley @ Kitchen Meets Girl January 16, 2013 at 8:51 pm

I love getting two recipes in one! Plus, Mexican food is my all-time favorite, so this is right up my alley! LOVE.
Ashley @ Kitchen Meets Girl recently posted..What’s In Your Kitchen WednesdayMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets January 16, 2013 at 9:21 pm

I big puffy heart Mexican food. Guess we’ll have to go out for lunch in Austin!

Trish - Mom On Timeout January 16, 2013 at 9:10 pm

Looks awesome Aimee – pinned!
Trish – Mom On Timeout recently posted..Your Creative Timeout Party {No.65}My Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets January 16, 2013 at 9:21 pm

Thanks Trish :)

Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust January 16, 2013 at 9:30 pm

I LOVE dual crock pot meals. This is so going on my dinner list!
Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust recently posted..10 Valentine’s Day IdeasMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets January 17, 2013 at 8:49 pm

I love crock pot meals too! i probably pull it out at least 3 times a week! Addicted much?
aimee @ shugarysweets recently posted..Vanilla Bean Valentine’s Cookies with Chocolate HeartsMy Profile

megan @ whatmegansmaking January 17, 2013 at 7:21 am

What a good idea!! Love when you get two totally different meals from something.
megan @ whatmegansmaking recently posted..Thick and Chewy M&M Cookie BarsMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets January 17, 2013 at 8:49 pm

thanks Megan! It’s a great way to turn one delicious piece of meat into another delicious meal. thanks for stopping by!

Jen @ Savory Simple January 17, 2013 at 7:55 am

What a fabulous recipe
Jen @ Savory Simple recently posted..Banana Bread MuffinsMy Profile

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers January 17, 2013 at 7:57 am

Great recipe and I love the leftovers!!! You have me craving enchiladas at 5am!!
Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers recently posted..First One of the YearMy Profile

Jocelyn (Grandbaby Cakes) January 17, 2013 at 9:32 am

That looks really tasty! I would adore having this for dinner next week.
Jocelyn (Grandbaby Cakes) recently posted..Blood Orangesicle Frozen YogurtMy Profile

Jocelyn @BruCrew Life January 17, 2013 at 10:04 am

Two meals for the price of one…I like that!!! Although I really am not a big fan of meat…I may just have to do this with chicken :-)
Jocelyn @BruCrew Life recently posted..Chocolate Cherry Muffin TopsMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets January 17, 2013 at 8:50 pm

Not a big fan of meat? We are NOT related!

Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel January 17, 2013 at 10:43 am

Drooooling over here! I love meals where you can use the same component over again, like a protein. Makes it SO much easier after a long day. Plus, I am pretty much in LOVE with my slow-cooker, so the more use I get, the better!
Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel recently posted..Peanut Butter & Jelly 7-Layer BarsMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets January 17, 2013 at 8:52 pm

I heart my slow cooker too! And I love making meals where you only have to cook once, eat twice!

Jess @ OnSugarMountain January 17, 2013 at 10:53 am

Enchiladas are my bf’s absolute favorite meal when we are at college – I usually opt for chicken but these would be awesome!! And he even loves French Dip sandwiches!! It’s like you know him heehee ;) Great post!
Jess @ OnSugarMountain recently posted..So Much Citrus! Fresh and Sweet Recipe RoundupMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets January 17, 2013 at 8:53 pm

Hmmmm, maybe I do know him!?!?! haha. I think this would make a great Valentine’s dinner :)

Lori @ RecipeGirl January 17, 2013 at 11:54 am

Delicious! So much better than using ground beef too.
Lori @ RecipeGirl recently posted..Pizza PinwheelsMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets January 17, 2013 at 8:53 pm

Thanks Lori, tastes so much better than ground beef too :)

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts January 17, 2013 at 12:19 pm

Yes please! French dips are one of my favorites, follow closely by Mexican! Looks amazing, and going to print it out now!
Erin @ Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts recently posted..Thursday ThingsMy Profile

Jessica@AKitchenAddiction January 17, 2013 at 1:38 pm

This is a perfect way to use leftovers. . .love how you lightened them up a bit!
Jessica@AKitchenAddiction recently posted..Maple Glazed Cinnamon French Toast DonutsMy Profile

Rania January 17, 2013 at 7:02 pm

The enchelada looks amazing and yummy and mouth watering! You are so making me hungry! Thank you for sharing this.

Julia Kendrick January 17, 2013 at 7:33 pm

Ooooh! These look amazing! We are trying to eat healthier and this recipe hits the nail on the head because we love mexican food! Thanks for sharing the recipe! Julia
Julia Kendrick recently posted..How I Clean My Oven….My Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets January 17, 2013 at 8:54 pm

Enjoy Julia! I know we sure did!

Deborah January 18, 2013 at 10:57 pm

I love it when you can cook once and eat twice – and these both sound so good! I’d love to have you come and link up at Taste and Tell Thursdays!
Deborah recently posted..Fridays with Rachael Ray – Butternut BowtiesMy Profile

Michelle January 24, 2013 at 2:34 pm

Aimee,
These enchiladas look delicious! I love being able to use my leftovers so my family doesn’t complain about “leftovers” and they get a totally different taste with two meals. Thanks for sharing :)
Michelle

Lindsay @ Life, Love and Sugar January 30, 2013 at 10:07 am

Two recipes from one is the way to go! I like the way you think ;) And I’m totally digging that is takes 8 hours to cook (my minimum cooking time when working) and it uses beer! Awesome!
Lindsay @ Life, Love and Sugar recently posted..Roasted Tomato SalsaMy Profile

Holly Lefevre February 5, 2013 at 12:40 pm

My husband and kids love beef enchiladas…printing this out for them!
Holly Lefevre recently posted..Mason Jar Valentine Vases (14 Days of Crafting Love)My Profile

kristi@ishouldbemoppingthefloor February 8, 2013 at 1:37 pm

Love that this is a double-duty meal, Aimee!! And the enchiladas look amazing…that’s my #1 comfort food!! YUM.

aimee @ shugarysweets February 9, 2013 at 7:17 am

I love double duty meals! And this one is a real winner, two of our favorites actually! I hope you try them Kristi!

Гелла June 18, 2013 at 12:45 pm

Кстати, интересная мысль

Brandy July 22, 2013 at 9:56 pm

I just made the sandwiches and they are mmm good! I spent the day painting so after a long day I certainly didn’t want to cook. This recipe was quick and easy! I can’t wait to make the Enchiladas! :)

aimee @ shugarysweets July 24, 2013 at 8:48 am

So glad to hear you loved the sandwiches!! Let me know how the enchiladas turn out too :)

Brandy July 24, 2013 at 9:06 pm

The enchiladas were really good! I didn’t have as much meat so they came out a little runny. I added bell peppers, used green chili sauce instead of red, and used spinach herb wraps. They came out great! Thanks for the recipes!

aimee @ shugarysweets July 25, 2013 at 11:47 pm

You are very welcome! Thanks for the feedback :)

Karen January 1, 2014 at 8:17 pm

Hi! I made the French Dip sammies a few days ago and they were OMG delicious!!!! My son, his gf, and I couldn’t get enough! Tonight, I made the enchiladas with what was leftover (I fought really hard not to eat all the beef during the week!)…enchiladas were so delicious too!!!! I was a little worried about how the flavors would be mixed but they really turned out better than I hoped! Now, to put the rest away until my son comes home tomorrow to try them! Thank you so much for sharing these two amazing recipes!

Chrissy January 3, 2014 at 4:13 pm

Yum! This looks delicious! I can’t wait to make them!
Chrissy recently posted..Freezer Meals: Pizza CasseroleMy Profile