Skinny Cherry Cupcakes for Valentine’s Day

Skinny Cherry Cupcakes with Cool Whip frosting: treat yourself to these healthier cupcakes this #Valentine's Day #cupcakes

I am not a big “skinny” dessert fan. If I’m going to eat dessert, I prefer it to be quite satisfying. And usually, skinny desserts leave me wanting more.

But not this time. Although, really, I’m not sure how YOU qualify a dessert as skinny. So we will call these skinny-ish, or skinnier cupcakes.

For the cupcakes, I combined one box of yellow cake mix with 1 can of cherry pie filling and 2 eggs. Better than oil, right?

And for the frosting I used a box of sugar free vanilla pudding mix with fat free Cool Whip and skim milk. Totally skinny stuff right there. (since I normally use butter, powdered sugar and cream cheese, we’re talking total diet food here).

I topped each one with a little chocolate heart, enough to satisfy that chocolate craving you might have. And eating this out of the refrigerator? Nice and cold? Yeah, I was not left wanting more.

So if you’re looking for a skinnier dessert recipe this New Year, give these cupcakes a try! I used Lucky Leaf Cherry pie filling, but feel free to try another flavor if you choose! Or Chocolate pudding mix for the frosting. Lots of options!

Want more SKINNY-ish recipes? Here are a few of my favorites….

Pineapple Coconut Cupcakes: 2 ingredient cupcakes with a “lighter” frosting! Perfect if you are craving dessert, but not wanting to ruin your diet!

Pineapple Coconut Cupcakes

Chocolate Banana Eggrolls: need to satisfy a chocolate craving without crashing over the deep end? Try these. PLEASE

Chocolate Banana Eggrolls

Looking for some healthy dinner options? Here’s a few of my favorites:

Spicy Grilled Fish with Citrus Slaw: perfectly seasoned and grilled tilapia recipe served with a tangy citrus slaw!

Spicy Grilled Fish with Citrus Slaw

Skinnier Beef Enchiladas: slow cooker shredded beef enchiladas. As good as it sounds. And easy too!

Skinny beef enchiladas

Santa Fe Stuffed Peppers: a healthy twist to a classic dinner!

Santa Fe Stuffed Peppers

Connect with Shugary Sweets!

Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Pinterest | Bloglovin’

Skinny Cherry Cupcakes

Yield: 24 cupcakes

For the Cupcakes:
  • 1 box (15.25oz) yellow cake mix
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 can (21oz) Cherry Pie Filling
  • For the Frosting:
  • 1/2 cup skim milk
  • 1 box (3.5oz) instant vanilla pudding
  • 8oz Fat Free Cool Whip
  • sprinkles
  • 1/4 cup chocolate candy coating, melted

1. Melt chocolate candy coating in microwave for 30 seconds, stir, and add an additional 30 seconds if necessary. Pour into a ziploc sandwich bag, snip off corner, and pipe hearts onto a piece of parchment paper. Set aside.
  2. In a large bowl, combine cake mix with eggs and cherry pie filling. Fill cupcake liners 1/2 full and bake in a 350 degree oven for 18-20 minutes. Remove and cool completely.
  3. In a large mixing bowl, whisk the milk with vanilla pudding for 2 minutes. Fold in Cool Whip and refrigerate for 30 minutes. Spread on cooled cupcakes and add sprinkles. Top each cupcake with a chocolate heart. ENJOY

Linked To: What’s Cookin  36th Avenue  Chic and Crafty

45 Responses to “Skinny Cherry Cupcakes for Valentine’s Day”

1. posted Jan 23, 2013 at 7:08 am

OHHHH I love everything about these. A little less guilt when eating cake is always a plus!

2. posted Jan 23, 2013 at 8:12 am

What a good idea! I want to try with strawberry pie filling!

• posted Jan 23, 2013 at 8:04 pm

I’m sure strawberry pie filling would be amazing in these!!

3. posted Jan 23, 2013 at 8:14 am

I love your “skinny” desserts, every little bit helps. I can’t wait to try this, I’ve never thought to bake pie filling into a cake before, yum!

• posted Jan 23, 2013 at 8:04 pm

Every little bit helps, unless you eat a dozen of these skinny cupcakes!

4. posted Jan 23, 2013 at 9:35 am

I have never been one to jump on the “skinny” dessert bandwagon, but then I made 2 desserts that actually tasted just as good as the real thing. I love your thinking on how this is a skinny dessert…you crack me up!!! Great idea to sub out the oil for pie filling. And that pudding frosting is one of my favorite cupcake fillings! YUM!!!!

• posted Jan 23, 2013 at 8:05 pm

Oooh I bet the frosting would be a delicious filling!! Off to think about my next creation!

5. posted Jan 23, 2013 at 10:03 am

yeah I’m sort of with you on the “if I’m having dessert I’m already committing to being unhealthy so why make it healthy” – but these cupcakes look adorable! And easy. Which is a serious plus. I’m not a big cherry fan but my mom who is on a diet and LOVES cherries will die of excitement when I send this over to her 😀

• posted Jan 23, 2013 at 8:05 pm

Totally my mantra. If I’m having dessert, it’s got to be good!! I hope your mom loves these!

6. posted Jan 23, 2013 at 10:09 am

So cute and guilt free–love it!

7. posted Jan 23, 2013 at 10:34 am

I’m with you on the “skinny” desserts – they should normally be full fat and full flavor. But yes, sometimes we should try a skinnier version to see how they stack up (or not). Your cherry cupcakes sound like they would be wonderful!

• posted Jan 23, 2013 at 8:06 pm

thanks Eva! Surprisingly, they taste pretty amazing!

8. posted Jan 23, 2013 at 10:47 am

I agree with you on not loving “skinny” desserts, but this sounds so good. I love how you used the pie filling instead of oil…I’ll definitely be trying that! And the chocolate hearts are so cute!

9. posted Jan 23, 2013 at 11:06 am

So clever and I love cherries so these are the perfect guilt free dessert!

10. posted Jan 23, 2013 at 2:14 pm

These are totally adorable and too boot skinny! These would be adorable for Valentines day!

11. posted Jan 23, 2013 at 3:14 pm

I’m a huge fan of skinny desserts! Maybe because I’m used to eating them, I think they are delicious. But I definitely know what you mean about wanting the real thing. When I’m having a serious craving, I go for the full of fat and calories dessert. These skinny-ish cupcakes look amazing. Definitely up my alley. :)

• posted Jan 23, 2013 at 8:08 pm

haha Thanks Elaine! Sometimes a splurge is necessary, but with these you really do feel like you’re splurging!!

12. posted Jan 23, 2013 at 5:56 pm

These are darling…love the pie filling mix in here. I could cherry pie filling with a spoon!

13. posted Jan 23, 2013 at 7:54 pm

I’ve been all about the skinny stuff on my blog all month long – even desserts! I only like skinny desserts if they don’t taste skinny. They have to be totally sneaky for me to love them. Can you really go wrong with chocolate, pudding and pie filling?? :)

• posted Jan 23, 2013 at 8:09 pm

You definitely are the queen of skinny foods! And nope, can’t go wrong with those ingredients at all!

14. posted Jan 23, 2013 at 8:58 pm

It’s totally skinny. I mean, as long as I can cut out enough calories so I can eat two, we’re all good. These are really pretty!

• posted Jan 24, 2013 at 2:20 pm

So very true. That’s quite my problem, is I can never stop at one dessert…

15. posted Jan 23, 2013 at 9:37 pm

Nothing wrong with skimming a few extra calorie’s off your dessert! And besides these look downright delicious.

16. posted Jan 24, 2013 at 8:21 am

I’m like you, if I am going eat dessert, I’m going to go all out! I usually avoid skinny desserts, but since this is “skinny-ish”, then I’ll dig right in! Love the chocolate heart.

17. posted Jan 24, 2013 at 8:28 am

Ha! I’m the same way about desserts except when I’m training for a race. Then I like to keep things a bit healthier. :) I love the sounds and looks of these Aimee and I can’t believe the cupcakes are only cake mix and cherry pie filling and eggs?? And with these, I can eat more than one. I love cherries!

• posted Jan 25, 2013 at 8:49 am

I love cherries too! Which is why your sweet rolls are haunting me!

18. posted Jan 24, 2013 at 9:31 am

For me I love the skinner desserts! Not because of the calories, well kind of, because I can’t eat just one of anything! lol Your cupcakes are simply adorable and look so good! Perfect for V-day!

19. posted Jan 24, 2013 at 9:51 am

Skinny cupcakes? I love you!

20. posted Jan 24, 2013 at 10:01 am

Now those are some super lovely cupcakes! Absolutely perfect for valentine’s day.

21. posted Jan 24, 2013 at 10:09 am

All of your cupcakes look so delicious. I just found your blog. Your recipes and pictures are wonderful. I look forward to following you. Blessings, Diane Roark http://www.recipesforourdailybread.com

22. posted Jan 24, 2013 at 11:36 am

These are so pretty! Not totally “skinny,” but who cares because I’m sure they’re delicious!!

23. posted Jan 24, 2013 at 1:00 pm

The cupcakes are so adorable with the little chocolate hearts on top! I made decorations similar to that a couple years ago for chocolate mint cupcakes. Thanks for all the other “skinny” dessert ideas, too!

24. posted Jan 24, 2013 at 2:45 pm

This sounds like such a delicious idea for skinnier cupcakes. In fall I mixed pumpkin puree with a cake mix and it was one of the best (though low fat) cakes I ever had :)

25. posted Jan 24, 2013 at 5:08 pm

Love how you topped the cupcakes with chocolate hearts!

26. posted Jan 25, 2013 at 6:53 pm

Chocolate banana eggrolls looks so good! Great pictures.

27. posted Jan 29, 2013 at 11:00 am

these would not be “skinny” for me. I don’t think I could stop at just 1!

28. posted Jan 29, 2013 at 8:54 pm

i’m so intrigued by that cherry pie filling addition. Gotta try it!

• posted Jan 30, 2013 at 7:22 am

I do this often! I actually have a stoneware bundt pan (from pampered chef) and I make cakes in the microwave: 1 box mix, 1 can pie filling, 3 eggs: microwave 12 minutes. I wish everyone had a stoneware bundt pan, haha. But since they don’t I had to make it in the oven…still comes out fantastic (in cupcake form)!! And you can substitute any flavor combo you like. One of my favorites is Lemon cake with lemon pie filling!

29. posted Feb 17, 2013 at 2:16 pm

I LOVE to make these. I made some yesterday and have already received an order from a friend for two dozen of these badboys. Try these substitutions-
    instead of the vanilla pudding use french vanilla, and I also found that the “dark sweet“cherry pie filling(Comstock is the brand I like to use) is alot better to make cake with. It’s sweeter
    And with chocolate sprinkles on top they’re really cute

30. posted Dec 22, 2013 at 3:40 pm

Hey there! I’ve been following your weblog for a while now and finally got the courage to go ahead and give you a shout out from Houston
    Tx! Just wanted to say keep up the excellent job!

31. posted Feb 12, 2014 at 1:28 pm

Have you tried the cherry cupcakes with another flavor of cake mix? I was thinking chocolate with chocolate pudding? or White cake with either chocolate or vanilla pudding?