Skinny Cherry Cupcakes for Valentine’s Day
I am not a big “skinny” dessert fan. If I’m going to eat dessert, I prefer it to be quite satisfying. And usually, skinny desserts leave me wanting more.
But not this time. Although, really, I’m not sure how YOU qualify a dessert as skinny. So we will call these skinny-ish, or skinnier cupcakes.
For the cupcakes, I combined one box of yellow cake mix with 1 can of cherry pie filling and 2 eggs. Better than oil, right?
And for the frosting I used a box of sugar free vanilla pudding mix with fat free Cool Whip and skim milk. Totally skinny stuff right there. (since I normally use butter, powdered sugar and cream cheese, we’re talking total diet food here).
I topped each one with a little chocolate heart, enough to satisfy that chocolate craving you might have. And eating this out of the refrigerator? Nice and cold? Yeah, I was not left wanting more.
So if you’re looking for a skinnier dessert recipe this New Year, give these cupcakes a try! I used Lucky Leaf Cherry pie filling, but feel free to try another flavor if you choose! Or Chocolate pudding mix for the frosting. Lots of options!
Want more SKINNY-ish recipes? Here are a few of my favorites….
Pineapple Coconut Cupcakes: 2 ingredient cupcakes with a “lighter” frosting! Perfect if you are craving dessert, but not wanting to ruin your diet!
Chocolate Banana Eggrolls: need to satisfy a chocolate craving without crashing over the deep end? Try these. PLEASE
Looking for some healthy dinner options? Here’s a few of my favorites:
Spicy Grilled Fish with Citrus Slaw: perfectly seasoned and grilled tilapia recipe served with a tangy citrus slaw!
Skinnier Beef Enchiladas: slow cooker shredded beef enchiladas. As good as it sounds. And easy too!
Santa Fe Stuffed Peppers: a healthy twist to a classic dinner!
Connect with Shugary Sweets!
Skinny Cherry Cupcakes
Yield: 24 cupcakes
For the Cupcakes:
- 1 box (15.25oz) yellow cake mix
- 2 eggs
- 1 can (21oz) Cherry Pie Filling
For the Frosting:
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- 1 box (3.5oz) instant vanilla pudding 8oz Fat Free Cool Whip sprinkles 1/4 cup chocolate candy coating, melted
- Melt chocolate candy coating in microwave for 30 seconds, stir, and add an additional 30 seconds if necessary. Pour into a ziploc sandwich bag, snip off corner, and pipe hearts onto a piece of parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine cake mix with eggs and cherry pie filling. Fill cupcake liners 1/2 full and bake in a 350 degree oven for 18-20 minutes. Remove and cool completely.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk the milk with vanilla pudding for 2 minutes. Fold in Cool Whip and refrigerate for 30 minutes. Spread on cooled cupcakes and add sprinkles. Top each cupcake with a chocolate heart. ENJOY