Sugar Free Strawberry Ice Cream Topping #HealthyChoices

Sugar-Free Strawberry Sauce: perfect on icecream or oatmeal #strawberry #HealthyChoices

I know I have whined  said it before, but I am a busy lady. Between blog work, recipe development, and FAMILY, I have very little time (or energy) to devote to diet and exercise, so keeping a schedule works for me!

Many of you have asked through email and facebook how I stay healthy and fit, and still eat brownies, cookies, and cakes.

For me, it’s all about scheduling myself as important. My health is just as important as my blog. My children. My spouse. If mama’s not healthy ain’t nobody healthy.

Okay, that was dorky, but seriously, taking care of myself is hard work, but still necessary, ya know? So how do I do it? First, everything in moderation. Just because I make these desserts doesn’t mean I eat the entire batch. (unless of course it’s Rice Krispie treats, then I worry about my self control). I don’t deprive myself of treats. As a baker, and food blogger, I need to try my food! I can’t very well say, “make this, it tastes great” and not try it for myself! But, limiting how much I try is the key to moderation!

Second, you HAVE to fit in exercise. After I drop my last two kids off at school, I go straight to my basement and get in a workout. It varies from p90x, to Jillian Michaels 30day shred, to Yoga (barf!). I also have a treadmill, so when it’s cold or rainy I have no excuse. When the weather is nice, I take a long walk through my neighborhood (we have a 5 mile loop). I do this first thing so I don’t get side tracked. We all know what a time suck facebook, pinterest, instagram, and twitter can be! When my kids were little I either belonged to a YMCA that had childcare, or I would do workout videos at home. I was exhausted, but again, I knew the importance. Many times while doing workouts my kids would be playing next to me thinking it was a game! They weren’t intense workouts, many times I had to stop and chase one of the kids out of the bathroom sink, or take crayons away from little fingers and mouths, but I still tried to fit in some exercise time. When the weather was nice, putting the youngest in a stroller and letting the others ride bikes and scooters on a walk was fine too!

Finally, I am learning the importance of healthy eating. I’m not much of a dieter, but I do like to watch what I eat and try to incorporate healthy foods! When I was asked to try out the Healthy Choice Top Chef meals from Walmart, I was intrigued. I don’t normally buy frozen meals, but I thought it couldn’t hurt. Let me just say these have been huge time savers.

Not only are they delicious and inexpensive, but they are easy to make. No messy dishes. I make enough messy dishes throughout the day, why make more at lunch time? You just pop these in your microwave, stir and eat! I loved the Healthy Choice Top Chef Crustless Chicken Pot Pies. Just the right amount of chicken and vegetables, and the dumplings were quite tasty too!

I also tried the Healthy Choice Greek Frozen Yogurts. These are so smooth and creamy, you will be surprised they are only 100 calories. The perfect post-workout treat! I also love that they are already proportioned for me, no giant bowls of ice cream to tempt me. I made a whole dessert using store bought shells, individual cups of frozen yogurt and a homemade sugar-free strawberry sauce. You can also use angel food cake if you want to cut out some fat! This strawberry sauce is also great on top of your morning oatmeal or smeared on an English Muffin.

So there you go! Moderation, Exercise, and Healthy Eating. Not rocket science, nothing mind blowing, just basic principles of a healthy lifestyle!

Connect with Healthy Choice:

website | facebook | twitter

Sugar Free Strawberry Ice Cream Topping

Yield: 1 cup

• 15 whole strawberries (I used frozen), stems removed
  • 2/3 cup fresh squeezed orange juice (for me it was 2 whole oranges, juiced)
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract

1. Combine all the ingredients in a small saucepan. Turn on medium high heat and bring to a boil. Mash the berries as they start to soften. Once boiling, turn to low and simmer for 30 minutes. Remove from heat and pour into a heat-proof bowl. Refrigerate until chilled, or overnight.
  2. Spoon onto icecream, oatmeal, toast, etc. ENJOY! Use within one week.

Be sure to check out my Google+ shopping story HERE

I am a member of the Collective Bias®  Social Fabric® Community.  This shop has been compensated as part of a social shopper insights study for Collective Bias®  and ConAgra Foods #cbias #SocialFabric . All views are 100% my own.

34 Responses to “Sugar Free Strawberry Ice Cream Topping #HealthyChoices”

1. posted Mar 13, 2013 at 12:44 pm

I better get ready to go out for a walk. Thanks for the inspiration

2. posted Mar 13, 2013 at 1:17 pm

I love this post. While I adore reading about recipes that are so decadent and rich, I also wonder how bloggers do it! I usually make healthy(ier) recipes so I’m not tempted to devour delicious sweets sitting around by house; but you always have so many amazing treats on your blog that I am amazed that you can stay so fit. Thanks for sharing a few of your tips. :)

• posted Mar 14, 2013 at 7:12 am

Thanks Elaine! One of these days I will have to do a “day in the life” post, just to show that I’m not baking constantly :)

3. posted Mar 13, 2013 at 2:28 pm

This is all sooo true! I make sure to work out right away at 5:45 in the morning before anyone else wakes up so it’s done and I don’t have to worry about it the rest of the day. I also try to eat super healthy during the day so I can have a treat at night with my family. Everything in moderation is the most important key!

• posted Mar 14, 2013 at 7:13 am

I’ve never been able to get up early to get it done. But after a couple cups of coffee I’m ready to go!

4. posted Mar 13, 2013 at 2:59 pm

All my co-workers always (very politely) ask me how I’m not obese and I typically tell them the same thing: it’s all about moderation. Though your fudge recipes push my limits Aimee 😉 heehee. And now I’m craving ice cream to enjoy this strawberry topping with!

It’ll be like a mantra: moderation… cream…(I mean) moderation…

5. posted Mar 13, 2013 at 3:30 pm

everything in moderation = exactly! jsut because I bake dessert all the time doesn’t mean I eat the whole batch! PS: I love your sneakers! This sauce looks wonderful too Aimee!

• posted Mar 14, 2013 at 7:14 am

Thanks Sally! It’s a struggle some days to keep my hands off the brownies and put my feet in the sneakers, but I think I’m teaching something to my kids by being healthy and active and still allowing for dessert!

6. posted Mar 13, 2013 at 4:14 pm

Thanks for the reminder Aimee that we all need to make sure we add some good choices in our lives!

• posted Mar 14, 2013 at 7:15 am

You’re welcome Nancy :) Some days I need the reminder too!

7. posted Mar 13, 2013 at 4:40 pm

I totally agree Aimee – put ourselves first! I have to exercise every. single. day. I have started saying no to things that take that away from me! I love this topping, plus it has fruit. Fruit = healthy. :)

• posted Mar 14, 2013 at 7:16 am

The times I want to eat a dozen of something, I just remind myself that “next week there will be cookies again” and then I chew gum, LOL.

8. posted Mar 13, 2013 at 5:03 pm

I love it! I have had those Healthy Choice Ice Creams and they aren’t to bad! However you made them a thousand times better with your toppings! I love it!

• posted Mar 14, 2013 at 7:15 am

Yeah, the strawberry topping does give it more flavor!!

9. posted Mar 13, 2013 at 5:16 pm

It’s a juggling act for sure! I, too, exercise right after I drop my kids off at the gym or I run. Errands, school volunteering, etc. takes almost the entire day. I try to eat with moderation as well. I can only exercise so much! You’ve proven here that healthy eating can be good stuff too!

• posted Mar 14, 2013 at 7:17 am

Good for you marcie to get in that exercise! I think you have to have the exercise with the healthy eating! Trust me I’ve tried to do one with out the other, doesn’t work so well.

10. posted Mar 13, 2013 at 5:23 pm

That strawberry topping looks absolutely delish! I am such a fanatic for strawberry toppings.

• posted Mar 14, 2013 at 7:18 am

Thanks Jocelyn!! Now I’m off to check out that strawberry shortcake of yours :)

11. posted Mar 13, 2013 at 9:14 pm

Working out has to be on the schedule everyday for me. I’m afraid of what I would look like if I didn’t exercise! I love food too much – I’d be huuuge!

I love the strawberry topping! Totally perfect for ice cream or shortcake!

• posted Mar 14, 2013 at 7:19 am

Thanks Meghan! keep it up. When you get old like me that crazy metabolism truly slows down. It was like overnight the switch turned off!

12. posted Mar 13, 2013 at 10:03 pm

What a great post! Moderation is key. And I know that if I don’t schedule a time to run, it won’t happen at 10:00 pm once the kids are in bed!

• posted Mar 14, 2013 at 7:20 am

And who wants to exercise at 10pm? Not this girl!!

13. posted Mar 14, 2013 at 2:00 pm

My momma is gonna FLIP over this sugar free strawberry sauce! I can only imagine how positively heavenly it is over a mound of creamy vanilla ice cream or a soft angel food cake!

14. posted Mar 15, 2013 at 5:58 pm

Social media definitely takes over our lives, if we let it. It’s all about fitting everything into our schedule. Including exercise.

THanks for the reminder, my friend :) xo

15. posted Mar 15, 2013 at 6:13 pm

Thanks for sharing this recipe! I’m always looking for sugar-free options for spreads, jams, and sauces :) We have a very similar outlook on staying healthy and fit…make time for yourself! Love it :) I look forward to reading more of your blog.

• posted Mar 16, 2013 at 10:31 pm

So glad you found me! Time for yourself is very important. I feel I am a better mother and wife BECAUSE of that. I’m teaching my children something very important and if it means an hour away from them, they will understand :)

16. posted Mar 18, 2013 at 7:12 am

I love those Greek Yogurts! They are delicious! I need to get excercise back in as a TOP priority now that I’m post pardum!

17. posted Mar 20, 2013 at 10:36 am

Everything you said is so true! You have to fit in the exercise! Thanks for sharing your plan and the yummy treats! :)