White Chocolate Pretzel Bars

Only two weeks left before Google Reader disappears! Make sure you follow me on Bloglovin’

Not sure if you’re in the mood for sweet or salty? I’ve got you covered with these White Chocolate Pretzel Bars!

White Chocolate Pretzel Bars: they satisfy that sweet and salty craving. Chewy and delicious too! #dessert

We don’t pay our kids allowances. I know. We’re the meanest parents ever.

Don’t think we haven’t heard that before (from our own children).

However, I do like to use their lack of financial means to encourage them to think outside the box when it comes to earning money. (Encourage…like that word??)

This week I took all four of my children to the grocery store. With them being school aged it’s not something I do often. For obvious reasons. What started out as only needing a couple things ended up being a cart load of groceries. With many more wants and needs left on the shelves.

This trip inspired the “think outside the box” money making approach. Every time they kept asking for specific treats, I would say, “did you bring your own money for that?” So when we got home, I said, “who wants to make $10 today?”

Of course, my financially challenged children all wanted the money. But, they knew there was a catch. I told them they had to come up with a chore that they thought was worth $10. My son immediately volunteered to mow the front and back yard. Something he is usually responsible for anyways, but really needed to be done! Off he went.

My youngest volunteered to clean the garage refrigerator and freezer. This is the one that stores all our drinks and popsicles. Which, if you can imagine, was sticky and gross. Yeah, that chore deserved more money!

My last two girls came up with their own chores too. One cleaned my car, inside and out (and did an amazing job) and my other daughter cleaned the garage.

Me? I ate some white chocolate pretzel bars and thought up a bunch more chores I would pay money to have done!

To give these chewy bars a nice salty base, I ground up some pretzels to add into the dough. I then topped each one with a white chocolate covered pretzel. I used Flipz, but you can make your own if want! You can also use milk chocolate if you’re not a white chocolate fan!

Connect with Shugary Sweets!

Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Pinterest | instagram | Bloglovin’

White Chocolate Pretzel Bars

Rating: 51

Prep Time: 2 hours, 10 minutes

Yield: 25 bars

• 1 cup pretzels, processed fine (yields about 1/2 cup crumbs)
  • 1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 tsp kosher salt
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
  • 1 1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 cup white chocolate morsels
  • 25 mini white chocolate covered pretzels

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 9inch square baking pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
  2. Process pretzels in a food processor or blender until fine crumbs. Yields approximately 1/2 cup crumbs.
  3. In a large mixing bowl, beat melted butter with brown sugar until smooth. Add eggs and vanilla. Add in pretzel crumbs, flour, baking powder and salt.
  4. Fold in white chocolate morsels. Press dough into prepared pan. Place white chocolate pretzels on top in rows 5x5. Bake for 25-30 minutes.
  5. Remove from oven and cool completely in baking pan. Refrigerate bars for a couple hours or overnight (after they have cooled). Cut and enjoy!
  6. Store pretzel bars in air tight container at room temperature or in refrigerator for up to one week.

Love sweet and salty? This Peanut Butter Nutella Pretzel Tart is sure to please! It’s truly one of my favorite treats!

Peanut Butter Pretzel Nutella tart

Maple Bacon Cookies are a delicious answer to that sweet and salty craving too!

Maple Bacon Cookies

Last week I made some EASY 10 minute Microwave Peanut Brittle. Surely you can make that right??

peanut-brittle-

53 Responses to “White Chocolate Pretzel Bars”

1. posted Jun 20, 2013 at 12:34 pm

I didn’t get an allowance either when I was a kid, but my mom did pay me in treats which is probably why I am such a sugar addict now. These bars have everything I love in a bar, sweet and salty.

• posted Jun 20, 2013 at 6:45 pm

I still like being paid in treats. If I do a good job at the grocery store I like to reward myself with a bag of skittles, hehe!!

2. posted Jun 20, 2013 at 12:34 pm

White chocolate is my favorite kind of pretzel. Love these bars!

3. posted Jun 20, 2013 at 12:47 pm

Love this! We don’t so allowances either! My motto is it is not only my mess it is their mess too and I don’t get paid for my job (stay at home mom of 4)! Lovin these pretzel bars!

• posted Jun 21, 2013 at 7:48 pm

It takes a family to mess the house and a family to clean a house (or a really good cleaning lady!)

4. posted Jun 20, 2013 at 1:08 pm

Love your approach. I didn’t get an allowance really, but once I hit like 12-13 if I asked for money (and had a semi-legitimate reason) I’d get it 90% of the time. It seriously messed with my sense of a dollar to just have money magically appear, though it seemed really nice at the time. At least your kids are learning what’s worth being paid and how much work is required to get it, love it. Related: I’d totally pay anyone $10 to make me these bars, ASAP.

• posted Jun 21, 2013 at 7:55 pm

Thanks for your insight on this Kelly! I totally accept your money for treats :)

5. posted Jun 20, 2013 at 1:21 pm

My mom used to give me $5 a week if I washed the dishes every night and vacuumed every Sunday. I had an uncle give me a cash gift once (I think it was $200) and I told my mom that I was quitting all my household jobs!

6. posted Jun 20, 2013 at 1:27 pm

We got an allowance if we did our chores each week, so similar idea. :) These bars sound awesome! Sweet and salty baby!

7. posted Jun 20, 2013 at 1:33 pm

Hello, genius! (both the parenting skills and these bars!)

8. posted Jun 20, 2013 at 1:40 pm

Oh, wow. Sweet and salty is my favorite – and it doesn’t get any better than chocolate covered pretzels! Also: I love that you got to lay back and eat sweets while your kids cleaned. That’s the way to live!

9. posted Jun 20, 2013 at 1:49 pm

That’s awesome!! My kids complain all the time because we don’t give them an allowance either. I’m totally going to use this trick the next time I need some quiet time 😉 And I’m loving all the sweet and salty in these yummy bars!!! Do you have leftovers and more chores? I can bring more “helpers” to your house!

• posted Jun 21, 2013 at 8:04 pm

Oh I can certainly come up with chores….I have some painting that needs done.

10. posted Jun 20, 2013 at 2:32 pm

I’m the same way with my kids! And I say that exact same thing …did you bring your money? Then they stop and think that things actually cost money! (Well, at least for a second.)
    Loving this recipe! I love white chocolate pretzels.

11. posted Jun 20, 2013 at 2:49 pm

I never got an allowance when I was little. I complained a lot, but looking back – it didn’t matter! I love chocolate + pretzels together Aimee!!!

• posted Jun 21, 2013 at 8:13 pm

My kiddos complain too, some! But in the end they got pretzel bars and money :)

12. Liz
    posted Jun 20, 2013 at 3:08 pm

These look amazing Aimee! I would love to sink my teeth into some of these…..I’d even do some chores for you to get some! :)

• posted Jun 21, 2013 at 8:13 pm

I just so happen to have a list of chores for the weekend!

13. posted Jun 20, 2013 at 3:24 pm

These look amazing! I love white chocolate and pretzels together. I can only imagine how good they’d be in a chewy, delicious bar cookie.

14. posted Jun 20, 2013 at 4:29 pm

These look too good. It’s all my favortie things in one cookie. Yum!

15. posted Jun 20, 2013 at 4:59 pm

I love sweet and salty and I LOVE pretzels and white chocolate…a match made in heaven!

16. posted Jun 20, 2013 at 5:08 pm

Bribery with money. I like the way you think! I’d love to bribe someone to do my dirty chores while I enjoy these yummy bars!

17. Nessa
    posted Jun 20, 2013 at 5:39 pm

My mom only gave us an allowance if we did chores. It taught us that things actually cost money, and money doesn’t grow on trees.
    Great idea with the bars!

18. posted Jun 20, 2013 at 8:01 pm

LOL, my little guy is still just 5, so he hasn’t quite figured out the money thing yet…my husband is already counting down the days until the kiddo can mow. :-) I love these bars – the chocolate/pretzel combo is one of my faves!

• posted Jun 21, 2013 at 8:26 pm

Oh the mowing! So helpful, unless the lines are important (same with vacuuming)!

19. posted Jun 20, 2013 at 8:47 pm

Salty and sweet….AND with… white chocolate!!! Yes! in a thick, dense, rich bar. They’re perfect for me!

And good job on making your kids work for things. Everyone here just hands over the keys to the new Beamers and the fancy cars to the teenagers and the $200 jeans..for you know, their 10 year olds. It’s so not how I grew up. I had to work for stuff, too!

20. posted Jun 20, 2013 at 9:22 pm

If I stick my head in there I may never come out.

21. posted Jun 20, 2013 at 11:16 pm

Wish I could just jump in and gobble these up!

22. posted Jun 21, 2013 at 12:13 am

Ahhh yes sweet and salty combos are my ultimate weakness!!

23. posted Jun 21, 2013 at 1:01 pm

YOU’RE SO SMART. I can’t wait to be a parent and bribe my kids to do things! Oh my goooosh, the house would be spotless. And also, I’d be dead poor. But that’s okay, as long as I had these bars by my side!

• posted Jun 21, 2013 at 8:29 pm

Haha my kids don’t think I’m so smart, could you tell them???

24. posted Jun 21, 2013 at 2:31 pm

I was never given allowance as a kid, and I don’t really think it’s necessary. Kids should learn hard work! I would’ve done any of those chores for a batch of these bars though. They look incredible!

25. posted Jun 21, 2013 at 5:04 pm

White chocolate and pretzels – oh now that is a combo I can get behind. 😀 Absolutely scrumptious, Aimee! 😀

Enjoy your weekend!

26. posted Jun 21, 2013 at 7:43 pm

I love this mixture of salty and sweet! I haven’t even thought yet about how I am going to get Kellan to do chores. I guess I have a few years :)

27. Tanya
    posted Jun 21, 2013 at 9:28 pm

Ha! I love it when the kids need money, my house never looks so good! Next time I’ll be sure to have some of these handy for me!

28. Jackie
    posted Jun 22, 2013 at 12:17 am

Hi Aimee

What brand of white chocolate chips did you use in this recipe.

29. posted Jun 22, 2013 at 4:03 pm

These look divine! (Of course I love anything white chocolate–it’s what my whole blog is about)…but I cannot wait to give this recipe a try! :)

30. posted Jun 22, 2013 at 4:20 pm

My kids are still pretty young, but they have to do things to earn whatever they want. Most of the time, they just give up on what they want right now, though. Can’t wait until they are old enough to clean my car!

• posted Jun 22, 2013 at 10:19 pm

Yes, the car cleaning is quite helpful. Especially now that they are old enough to do a great job. However, don’t rush things! Enjoy the stage they are in! :)

31. posted Jun 22, 2013 at 10:27 pm

Love this Aimee! The chores and the bars :) I can’t wait until Reece and Bryce are old enough to clean my car 😉

32. posted Jun 22, 2013 at 11:19 pm

HAHA I love the chore contest. I used to get paid. $10 to mow our massive lawn. Four years later my brother was making at least three times more than I got to mow the same lawn.

33. posted Jun 23, 2013 at 4:42 pm

I need to implement that more often. You’re a genius! And these bars…they totally rock!

34. posted Jul 3, 2013 at 11:14 pm

I love this :) sounds like you got your money worth out of them! These bars look absolutely amazing!!

35. Pingback: O The Things We Can Make With Pretzels