Chocolate Donut Milkshakes

by aimee @ shugarysweets on September 23, 2013

I’ve partnered with Tastykake to bring you a delicious Chocolate Donut Milkshake recipe. Perfect for the whole family, or a special treat for game day!

In my house, football exists. With having 4 girls vs 2 boys in the house, we tend to overtake the television with TLC and Disney. However, occasionally my son and husband will be allowed to turn on a football game. Especially when it’s a game between the Bears and Bengals. Even though we live in Cincinnati, we are still Chicago at heart! Of course serving some Deep Dish Pizza is a must at our Game Day get togethers with friends! We are from Chicago after all and have some traditions to uphold! Usually those traditions involve Chicago style food (deep dish pizza, hot dogs or beef sandwiches)! Chocolate Donut Milkshakes made with hot fudge, chocolate ice cream, and YES, chocolate mini donuts! #tastykake Chocolate Donut Milkshakes made with hot fudge, chocolate ice cream, and YES, chocolate mini donuts! #tastykake And snacks. Snacks are always a must. But this time, it was a little different. This time I let my husband serve whatever he wanted. My husband is not a pro in the kitchen. He can follow a recipe if needed, but will usually opt to pick up snacks at the grocery store. And sometimes, delicious, convenient, fresh baked, store bought snacks are just the answer! I whipped him up some Donut Milkshakes in honor of our favorite restaurant, Portillo’s. If you haven’t been there, next time in Chicago you must go! And be sure to order a Chocolate Cake Shake! My Donut Milkshakes were made using vanilla ice cream, hot fudge sauce and of course, Tastykake mini Chocolate Donuts. There is also a recipe on the Tastykake website using Butterscotch Krimpets. I can only imagine how wonderful that must taste!

DSC_0856

My husband served a tray of Butterscotch Krimpets and Peanut Butter Kandy Kakes. Sadly, these men devoured the snacks before I could save any for a Butterscotch Cake Shake! I guess that’s a good sign that my husband served some delicious treats!

Have YOU tried Tastykake? They have been in business since 1914. What are you waiting for??

Connect with Tastykake:

website | facebook

“With Krimpets, Cupkakes, Mini Donuts, KandyBarKakes and so much more – we know we have the perfect fresh baked treat for everyone in the family. Tastykake – one taste and you’ll get it!”

Chocolate Donut Milkshakes

Rating: 51

Yield: serves 3 large shakes

• 3 cup vanilla ice cream
  • 1/4 cup hot fudge sauce
  • 6 TastyKake mini chocolate donuts
  • 1/4 cup milk

1. Combine everything in a blender and process until smooth! Garnish with whipped cream and an extra donut if desired. ENJOY immediately!

Now tell me, what traditions do you share with YOUR friends?

**Today’s post was brought to you by BlogHer and TastyKake. I was compensated for my time and recipe development, however all opinions expressed are 100% my own!

Christiane ~ Taking On Magazines September 23, 2013 at 1:14 pm

Did you watch the game yesterday? Wow, it’s good to see the Bears looking so strong again. Maybe they’re contenders this year (fingers crossed!). I love the sound of that milkshake, though I don’t think that TastyKakes are available down here in the south yet. Hmmmmmm…substitution called for.
Christiane ~ Taking On Magazines recently posted..Korean Tacos with Asian Slaw from Woman’s Day Magazine, September 2013My Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets September 23, 2013 at 1:36 pm

Da Bears. Don’t jinx it by saying anything more, LOL. Enjoy the recipe!!
aimee @ shugarysweets recently posted..Chocolate Donut MilkshakesMy Profile

Karly September 23, 2013 at 2:14 pm

Love this! I want invited to your next party…donut milkshakes are my life.
Karly recently posted..Barbecue Mac Grilled Cheese SandwichesMy Profile

Eva @ Eva Bakes September 23, 2013 at 2:30 pm

OMG – Tastykakes were one of the best things about growing up where I did (Mid-Atlantic area). I lived on Lemon and Butterscotch Krimpets! I like how you turned these into a milkshake too! I’m sure they’d taste pretty awesome as add-ins for a regular vanilla based ice cream. Or wrap a croissant around them and turn them into a faux cronut… or… :)
Eva @ Eva Bakes recently posted..Cosmic browniesMy Profile

Kiran @ KiranTarun.com September 23, 2013 at 2:56 pm

Never tried Tastykake before — that looks divine!!!!
Kiran @ KiranTarun.com recently posted..Coconut Panna Cotta w/ Balsamic Fig CompoteMy Profile

Julie @ Julie's Eats & Treats September 23, 2013 at 4:34 pm

I wouldn’t mind coming to one of your hubby’s parties! Especially if you are whipping up Milkshakes!
Julie @ Julie’s Eats & Treats recently posted..Crock Pot Beef StewMy Profile

Stephanie @ PlainChicken September 23, 2013 at 4:37 pm

Brilliant idea! I wish I had one of these right now. This looks seriously delicious!
Stephanie @ PlainChicken recently posted..Tex-Mex Chicken Fajitas {Kraft Recipe Makers}My Profile

Pam in Cincinnati September 23, 2013 at 5:25 pm

this recipe makes me happy that i got my blender back from mom. :)

my friends know that i have a tendency to go overboard – i can’t just make one thing, i have to make at least two or three. it’s a habit. my mom has six brothers, so for years we would make the bulk of the food and treats for family functions at grandma’s house because the boys were incapable of managing more than a stop for chips or sodas. friends have come to expect chocolate cake with cream cheese frosting and red hots for our “special” occasions and the extended family expects a white mocha toffee trifle for the family reunion every year.

Angelyn @ Everyday Desserts September 23, 2013 at 6:21 pm

I have the biggest chocolate donut craving now! I definitely want this milkshake for dessert tonight!

Kirstie September 23, 2013 at 6:30 pm

I live in California and we don’t have any tastykakes here. I’ve never even heard of them. I feel like I’m missing out!

Nicole @ Young, Broke and Hungry September 23, 2013 at 7:03 pm

Donuts and milkshakes…you sold me.
Nicole @ Young, Broke and Hungry recently posted..Roasted Asparagus with Toasted Almonds and ParmesanMy Profile

DessertForTwo September 23, 2013 at 8:41 pm

Ok, I’m officially starving! These milkshakes look great! How can you not love donuts + milkshakes?

Thanks for sharing :)
DessertForTwo recently posted..Dinner for Two: Peanut Butter Steak Tacos (with sriracha!)My Profile

Nancy P.@thebittersideofsweet September 23, 2013 at 9:49 pm

Have never tried them and I do not know what I am waiting for!
Nancy P.@thebittersideofsweet recently posted..Pumpkin Spice Marshmallow Popcorn BallsMy Profile

Kelly @ hidden fruits and veggies September 24, 2013 at 7:37 am

My dad was always wayyyyy outnumbered by girls. Luckily, my boyfriend doesnt watch football either… but if I was forced to sit through a game, I think this milkshake would definitely get me through those difficult times! Sounds delish.
Kelly @ hidden fruits and veggies recently posted..BBQ “Pulled” Veggie SandwichMy Profile

Jacqueline September 24, 2013 at 9:26 am

It look so delicious, but I’m putting on weight just looking at it :)
Jacqueline recently posted..Whizz Bang Pizza SauceMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets September 24, 2013 at 11:55 am

I know. That happens. You could substitute frozen yogurt, Hershey’s syrup…and donuts. Haha!!

Kathy September 24, 2013 at 12:02 pm

What a great idea! My husband loves TastyKakes! I’ve never thought to put donuts in a milkshake!
Kathy recently posted..Sausage and Lentil SoupMy Profile

Jamie@Milk 'n' Cookies September 24, 2013 at 12:33 pm

Tastykakes were one of my favorite treats as a kid! I was always hard-pressed to choose between the chocolate cupcakes and the peanut butter Kandy Kakes (and somehow, my mom didn’t think I should get to have both!)

I love the idea of incorporating donuts into dessert. So fun!
Jamie@Milk ‘n’ Cookies recently posted..Skinny Shirley Temple FloatMy Profile

Ashl September 24, 2013 at 5:16 pm

This milkshake looks delicious and luckily I have all the ingredients to try it out :)

Laura @ Lauras Baking Talent September 24, 2013 at 8:29 pm

Have you ever read the Stephanie plum novels? She is always talking about tastykake treats. We don’t have tastykakes in Michigan so my friend and I had to order them off the internet to try them. We loved them though :)
Laura @ Lauras Baking Talent recently posted..Apple ChipsMy Profile

Kayle (The Cooking Actress) September 25, 2013 at 11:45 am

This is such a cool idea-and obviously, DELICIOUS!
Kayle (The Cooking Actress) recently posted..Potato Round UpMy Profile

Trish - Mom On Timeout September 25, 2013 at 12:38 pm

This look so yummy Aimee! What a fun idea!
Trish – Mom On Timeout recently posted..Caramel Apple Monkey BreadMy Profile

Emily @ Life on Food September 25, 2013 at 2:15 pm

My husband would go crazy for this. Donuts in a milkshake. Yep, that sounds great.
Emily @ Life on Food recently posted..maple cinnamon granolaMy Profile

Gloria @ Simply Gloria September 25, 2013 at 7:32 pm

I’m just going to call you the milk shake Queen! I love this shake! Looks like a fun time at your home! (=
Gloria @ Simply Gloria recently posted..Pumpkin Caramel EmpanadasMy Profile

Jess @ On Sugar Mountain September 26, 2013 at 5:18 pm

Donut….milkshake…donut…milkshake….donut milkshake….boo it didn’t appear. >_< I can only imagine how much more amazing a football game could be with a freaking DONUT MILKSHAKE! Bravo Miss Aimee – bravo.
Jess @ On Sugar Mountain recently posted..Cinnamon Chip Oatmeal CookiesMy Profile

kristi@ishouldbemoppingthefloor September 27, 2013 at 5:55 pm

Holy smokes…you just combined my favorite things!! Awesome!

Kristen Duke September 29, 2013 at 11:26 pm

Okay donuts in a milkshake?? Where has this been all my life? Sounds yummy!
Kristen Duke recently posted..How to Take your Own Family PicturesMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets September 30, 2013 at 7:28 am

Thanks Kristen, you must try it :)

Renee @ Awesome on $20 September 30, 2013 at 1:42 am

Holy monkey, your house is enormous! Go you!!! I’ve never tried donuts in a milkshake before, and now I’m wondering why. I need to get on that fast! I’m not sure if I can get that brand on my island, but I’m sure I’ll come up with something.
Renee @ Awesome on $20 recently posted..My Awesome Trip to Duncan HinesMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets September 30, 2013 at 7:28 am

Aw thanks Renee! Any donut will do ;)

Mackenzie @ Cheerios and Lattes October 1, 2013 at 2:35 pm

I have made cake shakes but never with donuts; oh my husband would love this idea! ;)
Mackenzie @ Cheerios and Lattes recently posted..Peach Cobbler CrispMy Profile

Michael May 8, 2014 at 6:41 pm

I just made this and it was sublime. It really tasted like drinking donuts. Like, if an aromatherapy guru distilled an essential oil out of mini chocolate donuts, this is what it would taste like! I have made a lot of advanced milkshake recipes, and this is neck-and-neck with the chocolate brownie batter shake for my favorite. Thanks for the recipe!

aimee @ shugarysweets May 10, 2014 at 8:29 am

Happy to hear you loved it :)