Eggnog Scones

by aimee @ shugarysweets on December 20, 2013

Eggnog Scones: perfect for this time of year with a cup of coffee, tea or hot cocoa! The texture is spot on, and the glaze melts in your mouth!

Eggnog Scones: a delicious holiday breakfast. Don't forget the melt in your mouth eggnog glaze!

So, be honest, EGGNOG. Love it or hate it?

I love the stuff. I can’t drink gobs of it, but it is such a part of our holiday tradition, I can’t help but love it.

Growing up, we always opened our sibling gifts to each other on Christmas Eve. It was something I always looked forward to. Maybe not so much because of the gifts, but because of the eggnog.

My mom would pour us each a cup (or I should say a mug) of eggnog and she sprinkled nutmeg on top. She would set out a plate of Christmas cookies and we would sit around the tree, sip our eggnog, eat cookies and open gifts.

Doesn’t get much better than that!

Of course Christmas morning we would repeat this scenario, but it was more frenzied. The time seemed to go slower on Christmas Eve…the anticipation, the routines, it just was very enjoyable.

I’ve continued this same tradition with my own family. Like my  mom, I have four kids of my own too! Hubby and I enjoy coming home from Christmas Eve church service to eggnog, cookies and gifts. Of course, my picky hubs doesn’t drink the nog, but he participates none the less!

Making these Eggnog Scones was such a wise decision. If I had a choice, I almost always go for biscotti over a scone. I like crunchy vs chewy. However, I already have an eggnog biscotti recipe, so it only makes sense I give the scone equal time in the spot light!

I brought these scones to my parents over Thanksgiving and they were devoured (mainly by my dad!!). I’ve been asked to bring them for Christmas too! That’s a sign they must have been tasty!

What traditions do you keep this holiday season? I’d love to hear it!!

Facebook | Twitter | Google+

Pinterest | instagram | Bloglovin’

Save your favorite recipes to your personal recipe box with the     button on all my recipes! Create a Meal Plan with your “favorited” recipes and the ingredients will automatically be added to your own Grocery List!

Eggnog Scones

• 1 tsp rum extract
  • 1/2 tsp nutmeg
  • For the glaze:
  • 1 cup powdered sugar
  • 2-3 Tbsp eggnog
  • 1/4 tsp nutmeg

1. For the scones, combine flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder in a large mixing bowl. Add in butter (I used the beater blade of my electric mixer, but you can use a pastry cutter). Mix until it resembles coarse crumbs.
  2. Add in egg, greek yogurt, eggnog, rum extract and nutmeg. Combine completely.
  3. On a large baking sheet with parchment paper (or silpat), shape dough into a large rectangle using your hands. I dusted my hands and the dough with flour to keep it from sticking.
  4. Press your rectangle to 8 1/2 inch x 6 1/2 inch- 1/2inch thick. Using a pizza cutter, slice in half horizontally. Then cut it into thirds vertically (you will have 6 rectangles). Cut each rectangle in half to make 2 triangles. You will be left with a total of 12 triangles. Don't separate them on the baking sheet yet.
  5. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 25 minutes. Remove from oven and re-cut your triangles. Separate carefully and return to oven for an additional 10 minutes. Remove and cool completely before applying glaze.
  6. For the glaze, whisk together the sugar, eggnog and nutmeg. Add more/less eggnog for desired consistency. Spoon glaze over each scone and allow to set, about 20 minutes. Store in an airtight container for up to 5 days. ENJOY.

Are you Eggnog obsessed? I’ve got you covered!

Eggnog muffins

Eggnog Donut Muffins: bite size muffins that freeze well too!

eggnog-truffles-

Creamy Eggnog Truffles with a delicious crunchy coating!

Eggnog cheesecake cake

An impressive, delicious dessert: Eggnog Cheesecake cake

Not a fan of eggnog? Still looking for a Christmas morning breakfast idea?

chocolate-chip-coffee-cake-2

Chocolate Chip Coffee Cake

Jennie @themessybakerblog December 20, 2013 at 8:09 am

I love me some nog! I make up a homemade batch every year that I spike with golden rum. These scones look perfect. Love that glaze!

marcie December 20, 2013 at 9:03 am

I’m not a big egg nog person, so I don’t drink it straight. I love adding it to baked goods, which I just started doing this year. These scones sound delicious, Aimee! I love that there’s Greek yogurt in them, too. Egg nog biscotti?! I need to try that, too. Pinning both!
marcie recently posted..Cooking School Week 11My Profile

Melanie @ Carmel Moments December 20, 2013 at 9:12 am

Oh my yum! They look fabulous and easy!
Melanie @ Carmel Moments recently posted..Sweet and Crunchy Peanuts – Easy GiftMy Profile

Erin | The Law Student's Wife December 20, 2013 at 9:28 am

I’m a nog lover, but that golden nectar is so thick, I can usually only handle a glass or two. Now I have a yummy solution for the leftovers :) Hope you and your family have a very Merry Christmas Aimee! enjoy every minute.
Erin | The Law Student’s Wife recently posted..Healthy Corn ChowderMy Profile

Mary Frances @ The Sweet {Tooth} Life December 20, 2013 at 9:46 am

I am a eggnog drinker to the core! We get it so rarely, that might be part of it. :) These look even better than drinking it!
Mary Frances @ The Sweet {Tooth} Life recently posted..Peppermint Saltine Toffee BarkMy Profile

Meg December 20, 2013 at 1:29 pm

Oh, these look so delicious! I absolutely love eggnog and scones, so this is a match made in heaven for me. Just printed the recipe and am planning to make these for Christmas morning with my new in-laws! Hopefully they’re a hit. I’m sure they will be. :) (And will get me in their good graces? Hehe.)
Meg recently posted..Book review: ‘The Christmas Secret’ by Donna VanLiereMy Profile

Jocelyn @BruCrew Life December 20, 2013 at 1:32 pm

What a fun tradition to carry on with your family. We do something similar, but without the eggnog. I think I need to add eggnog at least for my son and I. And a batch of eggnog scones for breakfast!
Jocelyn @BruCrew Life recently posted..Hot Cocoa 3 Musketeers Brownie BitesMy Profile

Charlotte Moore December 20, 2013 at 1:37 pm

I LOVE what I make but not much for the store bought. These really seem good to add it to scones and the other recipes you have.

Taylor @ FoodFaithFitness December 20, 2013 at 2:04 pm

I never used to like egg nog until recently. Now, I am all over the stuff! These scones look so perfect for breakfast with a cup of coffee…and I love the use of Greek yogurt in them!
Taylor @ FoodFaithFitness recently posted..Sugar Twists {Whole Wheat, Low calorie & Low Fat}My Profile

Layla @ Brunch Time Baker December 20, 2013 at 3:01 pm

What a perfect recipe for the holidays!
Layla @ Brunch Time Baker recently posted..Mediterranean Chicken Gyro Platter with White SauceMy Profile

Renee@ Two in the Kitchen December 20, 2013 at 3:58 pm

I love eggnog and I love hearing about family traditions!!! This sounds like a nice one!!
Renee@ Two in the Kitchen recently posted..Pan de Polvo (Mexican Wedding Cookies)My Profile

Laura @ Lauras Baking Talent December 20, 2013 at 7:41 pm

These looks delicious. I think that my family would love them for Christmas Morning :)
Laura @ Lauras Baking Talent recently posted..M&M n Everything Else BarkMy Profile

Julie @ Table for Two December 20, 2013 at 8:18 pm

This is SO perfect for Christmas morning or with whatever leftover eggnog that’s left at the end of all holiday festivities! That glaze looks ridiculously good!
Julie @ Table for Two recently posted..Honey Butter RollsMy Profile

Traci January 1, 2014 at 7:51 pm

I’m thinking I should make these for my eggnog-loving sister. It’s okay that it’s past the holiday season. Thanks for the recipe!
Traci recently posted..Happy New Year!My Profile