Pistachio Cheeseball

by aimee @ shugarysweets on February 24, 2014

This sweet cheeseball is filled with some of my favorite foods: Pistachios, Pudding, Pecans, Coconut. Spread it on some graham crackers and you will see why I love it so much!

Be sure to follow me on Bloglovin’

Sweet Pistachio Cheeseball: made with pistachio pudding, coconut, and pecans.

Several years ago I made a Watergate Cake. Have you heard of this before? Apparently the recipe was put out in newspapers during the whole Watergate scandal as a way for JELL-O to promote pistachio pudding. At least that’s the rumor I’ve heard.

I love pistachio pudding. If I could pick one flavor of pudding to eat, it will always be pistachio.

And how perfect is pistachio pudding this time of year? When people are thinking “green” for St.Patty’s Day?

Sweet Pistachio Cheeseball: made with pistachio pudding, coconut, and pecans.

Speaking of St.Patty’s Day, anyone ever have to help make a leprechaun trap? This is quite possibly the world’s worst school project (no offense teachers). This is the one project that can drive wedges in families. When attempt after attempt it fails.

I’m the kind of parent that takes a hands off approach to school projects. Unless they need or ask for help, a school project is something that the child should be able to complete. Imagine my frustration as a parent to show up at the school and see perfect crafted word working, plumbing and electrical engineered projects. That CLEARLY are done by parents. Meanwhile my child’s project is a pile of tape, construction paper and lego people. This is my frustration with leprechaun traps. Without a parents help, the child has a hard time creating their own. With a child’s help, it becomes a competition with the other parents. Needless to say, in the past our traps were shoe boxes, string, candy coins, etc…

Anyways, not sure where I was going with this, except to say, HOORAY. My youngest is in 4th grade and I believe we are past the leprechaun trap years.

Granted, we have entered the making of a DNA strand….

But let’s celebrate this milestone with a cheeseball. A Pistachio cheeseball. A sweet pistachio cheeseball with pecans and coconut (just like a watergate cake)!

The pudding mix combined with the cream cheese and butter becomes very thick. Add in your powdered sugar and milk and this is quite sticky. My trick is to line a 4 cup bowl with plastic wrap, fill it with the coconut and pecans, drop in the pistachio ball, and using my hands roll it around. Once it’s covered, fold up the plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to serve. ENJOY!!

Sweet Pistachio Cheeseball: made with pistachio pudding, coconut, and pecans.

Facebook | Twitter | Google+

Pinterest | instagram | Bloglovin’

Save your favorite recipes to your personal recipe box with the     button on all my recipes! Create a Meal Plan with your “favorited” recipes and the ingredients will automatically be added to your own Grocery List!

Pistachio Cheeseball

Yield: serves 6-8

Sweet Pistachio Cheeseball: made with pistachio pudding, coconut, and pecans.

• 8 oz cream cheese, softened
  • 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
  • 1 pkg (3.4oz) instant pistachio pudding mix
  • 1 1/2 cup powdered sugar
  • 2 Tbsp milk
  • 1/2 cup sweetened, shredded coconut
  • 1/2 cup pecans, chopped

1. In a large mixing bowl, beat cream cheese, butter, pistachio pudding mix, powdered sugar and milk on high for 4-5 minutes.
  2. Line a 4 cup bowl with plastic wrap. Place half the coconut and half the pecans in the bottom of the bowl. Mix with fingertips. Add cheeseball mixture (it will be very sticky). Roll around in the pecans and coconut, top with remaining coconut and pecans until cheeseball is covered. Fold plastic wrap around cheeseball and refrigerate until ready to serve.
  3. ENJOY with graham crackers.

Love PISTACHIO desserts?

pistachio rice krispie treats

Pistachio Rice Krispie Treats with Dark Chocolate

pistachio-fudge

Pistachio Fudge with Dark chocolate

pistachiopudding-

Pistachio Pudding Cookies with Craisins

Favorite Pistachio Recipes from some of my favorite blogs:

Jocelyn @BruCrew Life February 24, 2014 at 8:21 am

Leprechaun traps for school projects? Oh boy am I glad our schools never had those. My kids would have showed up with the same pile of duct tape, cardboard box, and string with a donut attached to it. Although we do the Awana Grand Prix race every year…let’s just say my kids cars always look pretty good. I may or may not help them paint and decorate those. LOL they (and I mean me) have won 1st for design quite a few years. Not that I’m bragging or anything :-) Never mind, just pass me a bowl of this amazing cheese ball. I heart pistachio flavor too!
Jocelyn @BruCrew Life recently posted..Banana Nut Cinnamon RollsMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets February 24, 2014 at 12:26 pm

haha, yeah Alex did the Pinewood Derby cars, two years in a row. We still have his cars (spongebob and a snowman)….
aimee @ shugarysweets recently posted..Pistachio CheeseballMy Profile

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel February 24, 2014 at 9:38 am

You made green cheese fun!
Rachel @ Baked by Rachel recently posted..Whole Wheat Oatmeal Banana BreadMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets February 24, 2014 at 12:28 pm

My job is done :)
aimee @ shugarysweets recently posted..Pistachio CheeseballMy Profile

Jocelyn (Grandbaby Cakes) February 24, 2014 at 10:32 am

This cheeseball is seriously making me rethink what I should have for breakfast. Why not a pistachio cheeseball?
Jocelyn (Grandbaby Cakes) recently posted..Country FrittataMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets February 24, 2014 at 12:29 pm

WHy not, indeed??
aimee @ shugarysweets recently posted..Pistachio CheeseballMy Profile

Nancy P.@thebittersideofsweet February 24, 2014 at 11:02 am

I would definitely be complaining like big time!! I have yet to have pastachio pudding, yes I am in the dark ages but it looks great!
Nancy P.@thebittersideofsweet recently posted..Cranberry Almond Soda Bread Recipe (Luck of the Irish Week)My Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets February 24, 2014 at 12:29 pm

Well, you better stock up, I’ve got another pistachio recipe coming this week :)
aimee @ shugarysweets recently posted..Pistachio CheeseballMy Profile

Julianne @ Beyond Frosting February 24, 2014 at 11:04 am

What a festive cheese ball! I have never heard of such leprechaun trap, but good luck with that! LOL

aimee @ shugarysweets February 24, 2014 at 12:30 pm

Ahhh, the joys of parenting :)
aimee @ shugarysweets recently posted..Pistachio CheeseballMy Profile

Sues February 24, 2014 at 11:06 am

What an awesome idea! I’m on a pistachio kick and this is so, so pretty. Perfect for March 17!
Sues recently posted..Vanilla Latte DoughnutsMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets February 24, 2014 at 12:30 pm

Thanks Sues! I’m always on a pistachio kick (sweet or salty, doesn’t matter)!
aimee @ shugarysweets recently posted..Pistachio CheeseballMy Profile

Tanya February 24, 2014 at 12:49 pm

Looks amazing. I really love pistachios. I actually didn’t try them until last year. I was missing out.
Tanya recently posted..Keys to Attracting Top TalentMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets February 25, 2014 at 11:55 am

You were totally missing out. That’s how I was with avocados…then I fell in love :)
aimee @ shugarysweets recently posted..Grasshopper CupcakesMy Profile

Melanie @ Carmel Moments February 24, 2014 at 1:01 pm

I’m kinda thinking my kids would devour this pretty little thing. They love pistachios!
Melanie @ Carmel Moments recently posted..Easy Bread SticksMy Profile

Kathy February 24, 2014 at 2:03 pm

I love pistachio pudding! And I love this take on a cheeseball!
Kathy recently posted..Buttermilk Mashed PotatoesMy Profile

Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust February 24, 2014 at 3:47 pm

Okay, I SO TOTALLY GET YOU. We’ve never had to make a trap, but it’s the same with everything. Jordan has a book report (biography) and presentation due tomorrow. She could care less. It’s done, and it’s “C” quality, but what am I going to do? Do it for her? It’s HER homework! But I know so many other kids will come in with pages written and full costume and a 5 minutes speech…because their parents did it. It’s maddening.

LOVE this dip, though. I’ve never really had pistachios…can we still be friends? I really want to get a bag (and some pudding) now!
Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust recently posted..Samoa Magic BarsMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets February 25, 2014 at 11:57 am

My kid would totally turn in C quality. Unfortunately I feel like teachers standards have gone up since parents are doing the work. Her c quality is probably an age appropriate A, but when you compare it to a 40yr olds work, hehe, it may not seem so good. Frustrating. And um, no pistachios? Girl, WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR???
aimee @ shugarysweets recently posted..Grasshopper CupcakesMy Profile

Graham @ Glazed & Confused February 24, 2014 at 6:28 pm

Oh my god! Pistachios are like my favorite thing and this looks like it would more than fulfill my pistachio craving!
Graham @ Glazed & Confused recently posted..Momofuku Birthday Layer CakeMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets February 25, 2014 at 11:59 am

haha, you’re welcome :)
aimee @ shugarysweets recently posted..Grasshopper CupcakesMy Profile

Mary Frances February 24, 2014 at 8:40 pm

Who knew? I didn’t know that little tidbit about the watergate scandal … now I’ll never eat Jello the same way again! :) I love the color in this cheeseball! Pistachios are a great choice for this kind of app – you are so smart! Yum, yum, yum!
Mary Frances recently posted..How to Make the Best Homemade Fudge Energy Bars (gluten, dairy, and cocount free)My Profile

Ashton February 24, 2014 at 9:35 pm

Oh man. I am SO not looking forward to this with Emma! Because I am totally hands off too. Get this— we have friends who are like us (husband is in school, wife is home with kids), and the wives all do their husband’s school work!! I mean… wha?????? Chris tried to get me on board with that for about .23547 seconds, before he realized that wasn’t happening!! Sheesh.

Anyway. Obviously everyone should just drop out of school and eat this dip all day every day. The world woud be a better place!
Ashton recently posted..Thin Mint Muddy BuddiesMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets February 25, 2014 at 12:00 pm

A. I would never be smart enough to do my husband’s work
B. I would never be dumb enough to do my husband’s work, haha!!
C. Stay hands off with the homework and eat more cheeseballs friends :)
aimee @ shugarysweets recently posted..Grasshopper CupcakesMy Profile

Kathi @ Deliciously Yum! February 24, 2014 at 11:06 pm

Pistachios are pretty awesome and so is this cheeseball! Now I really can’t wait for Saint Patty’s Day :)

Wanda Ann @ Memories by the Mile February 25, 2014 at 8:49 am

OMG! I love pistachio pudding, I would have never thought to make it into a cheese ball. YUM! I’m pinning and making soon. Come share it at our link party at http://memoriesbythemile.com/2014/02/25/treasure-box-tuesday-8/
Have a fantastic day,
Wanda Ann @ Memories by the Mile

Kelly February 25, 2014 at 9:00 am

Yikes, I am not looking forward to this when my lil guy starts school – I am totally all for him learning to complete his projects on his own too. Now this cheeseball on the other hand is just brilliant Aimee, I love pistachios in every form and adding cream cheese to anything is always a winner!
Kelly recently posted..Cheese Ravioli with a Skinny Sun-Dried Tomato Alfredo SauceMy Profile

Gloria // Simply Gloria February 25, 2014 at 5:03 pm

Aimee, I haven’t had pistachio pudding forever! This is such a creative cheeseball. The color is so perfect!
Gloria // Simply Gloria recently posted..Garlic Parmesan Dinner RollsMy Profile

Jess @ On Sugar Mountain February 25, 2014 at 9:00 pm

Bahahaha I can’t even imagine how my mother would’ve reacted if she had to make a leprechaun trap. Although to be fair my dad totally dressed up as santa (and I guess had a santa suit ready for this reason?!) once when I woke up in the middle of the night on Christmas. I think making a delectable pistachio cheeseball sounds like a far better use of one’s time. :D
Jess @ On Sugar Mountain recently posted..Roasted Vegetable & Goat Cheese Baked EggsMy Profile

Trish - Mom On Timeout February 26, 2014 at 5:13 pm

I love pistachios so I know I would go crazy for this cheeseball Aimee! Pinned and sharing on FB :)

Nutmeg Nanny March 4, 2014 at 3:39 pm

This reminds me of something my mother would make :) it looks fantastic! You’re right it is so perfect for St. Patricks day
Nutmeg Nanny recently posted..Salted Caramel Guinness BrowniesMy Profile

Anonymous March 13, 2014 at 1:03 pm

Well, leprechaun traps may not be your thing. But I bet you kick butt at bake sales!

aimee @ shugarysweets March 13, 2014 at 9:41 pm