Skinny Strawberry Chocolate Chip Muffins

by aimee @ shugarysweets on February 9, 2014

These gorgeous muffins not only taste delicious, but are low in calories and fat! So, who wants a couple Skinny Strawberry Chocolate Chip muffins for breakfast?

Be sure to follow me on Bloglovin’

Skinny Strawberry Chocolate Chip Muffins

Earlier this year I made a commitment to myself that I would try to share healthy options on this blog. I started the year out by sharing these Skinny Pumpkin Energy Bites and these Skinny Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins.

You all seemed to love them!

So it was only a natural progression that I tried another flavor of muffins. Strawberry Chocolate Chip.

Skinny Strawberry Chocolate Chip Muffins

Using the same muffin base,  but adding some fresh chopped strawberries, I think you guys are going to love these!! I lowered the amount of whole wheat flour than the original version, my kids don’t like their muffins too “chewy.” The first batch had 1 cup all-purpose and 1 cup whole wheat, and they were delicious, but after a day my kids didn’t like the texture.

So I tried making them with more all purpose than whole wheat and they were kid approved! You decide what will work in your family. While my kids LOVE healthy food, when it comes to their baked goods I have taught them to love them SWEET. Extra SWEET.

Skinny Strawberry Chocolate Chip Muffins

This is a work in progress! I have replaced the extra sugar from this recipe by using honey and light agave nectar. The extra chocolate chips on top add just enough sweetness to make you think you are indulging…but your skinny jeans will still fit!

Unless of course you don’t wear skinny jeans. Yoga pants? Pajama pants? Whatever. So, with a handful of healthy recipes on the blog, I’m ready to indulge in a muffin with my morning coffee and not feel guilty! Now if only I can give up the sweet cream I use in my coffee…send help!!!

Facebook | Twitter | Google+

Pinterest | instagram | Bloglovin’

Skinny Strawberry Chocolate Chip Muffins

Save your favorite recipes to your personal recipe box with the     button on all my recipes! Create a Meal Plan with your “favorited” recipes and the ingredients will automatically be added to your own Grocery List!

Skinny Strawberry Chocolate Chip Muffins

• 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp kosher salt
  • 6 oz vanilla greek yogurt
  • 6 large strawberries, diced
  • 1/4 cup mini chocolate chip morsels

1. In a large mixing bowl, combine honey, agave nectar, egg, vanilla and bananas until fully combined (and bananas are mushed). Add flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt and yogurt. Beat until blended. Fold in diced strawberries.
  2. Spray muffin tin with non stick spray. Spoon batter into 18 muffin cups evenly. Sprinkle tops with mini chocolate chips.
  3. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 18-20 minutes. Remove and cool completely.

skinny-caramel-mocha-1

This Skinny Caramel Mocha would go great with your muffins!!

skinny-no-bake-cookies-

Skinny No Bake Cookies…banana and peanut butter help keep these moist and delicious!

strawberry-eclair-cake-1

No Bake Strawberry Eclair Cake: classic eclair cake with a delicious strawberry cheesecake twist!

I created a new board on Pinterest for lighter versions of your favorite recipes: Lighten Up

More Skinny Recipes from my blog friends:

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel February 9, 2014 at 8:32 am

I love strawberries in baked goods! Wish I had some of these muffins for breakfast today!!
Rachel @ Baked by Rachel recently posted..Funfetti Chocolate Chip Birthday CookiesMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets February 10, 2014 at 8:45 am

They add their own sweetness and moisture, that’s for sure!!!
aimee @ shugarysweets recently posted..Skinny Strawberry Chocolate Chip MuffinsMy Profile

Lindsay @ The Lean Green Bean February 9, 2014 at 12:23 pm

thanks so much for the link love!!! you rock xox these muffins look fab!
Lindsay @ The Lean Green Bean recently posted..Sunday Food Prep Inspiration 51My Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets February 10, 2014 at 8:46 am

You bet! Now I need to make those yogurt bars!!!

Mary Frances February 9, 2014 at 2:10 pm

These are gorgeous! I love how muffins are so easy to make skinny. We’ve been on a muffin kick, but I haven’t tried the strawberry/choc combo. It looks amazing!

aimee @ shugarysweets February 10, 2014 at 8:46 am

Oh you’ve got to try it!!!

Emily @ Life on Food February 9, 2014 at 3:42 pm

I made similar muffins a few months ago for a potluck. They were a hit for sure. Definitely need to whip some up again.
Emily @ Life on Food recently posted..Spinach Pull Apart BreadMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets February 10, 2014 at 8:47 am

It’s amazing how you really can get away with less sugar in a recipe….especially by adding a few chocolate chips on top!

Danielle Ingenito February 9, 2014 at 8:45 pm

How many calories are in a serving size?

aimee @ shugarysweets February 10, 2014 at 8:47 am

Hmmm, I’m not sure. But you can plug it into your favorite calorie counter online!

Julianne @ Beyond Frosting February 9, 2014 at 8:51 pm

What a perfect skinny muffin! I don’t usually bake with whole wheat flour but I should certainly try!
Julianne @ Beyond Frosting recently posted..Thin Mint BrookiesMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets February 10, 2014 at 8:48 am

It definitely changes the texture. My kids prefer less WWflour, obvi….LOL!!

Taylor @ Food Faith Fitness February 10, 2014 at 7:06 am

I love chocolate and strawberries and I love that you put them in a healthy little muffin! The perfect snack for Valentines Day…or any day!
Taylor @ Food Faith Fitness recently posted..Raspberry Cheesecake Stuffed Coconut Quinoa Bites with Dark Chocolate Glaze + A KitchenAid Giveaway!My Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets February 10, 2014 at 8:49 am

Thanks Taylor!! Who knew Valentine’s Day breakfast could be healthy!!

Cookbook Queen February 10, 2014 at 7:55 am

I always find myself starting the day off with a ton of junk and sugar. I think I need to give these a try instead. Love the pretty strawberries!!
Cookbook Queen recently posted..French Toast Layer CakeMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets February 10, 2014 at 9:49 am

I hear ya!! Junk and sugar is what I do best!!

Tanya Schroeder February 10, 2014 at 9:48 am

Everyone needs a go to skinny muffin! I adore the fresh strawberries in these Aimee!
Tanya Schroeder recently posted..Raspberry Mocha Chocolate TrufflesMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets February 10, 2014 at 9:50 am

Thanks Tanya!!!

marcie February 10, 2014 at 9:51 am

You can’t beat chocolate and strawberries in a muffin, especially if they’re skinny! These look delicious, Aimee. :)
marcie recently posted..Homemade Red Velvet Sandwich CookiesMy Profile

Claire Gallam February 10, 2014 at 12:08 pm

Oh yes yes yes!!! I love these Aimee!
Claire Gallam recently posted..Funfetti Chocolate Chip Cookie PieMy Profile

Maria G. February 10, 2014 at 3:33 pm

These muffins look very appetizing and I wanted to cook the same but I couldn`t find strawberries. What other berry would you recommend to add? I thought about cherries but I am not sure that they will taste good in combination with chocolate.
Maria G. recently posted..How to make a Love Tree card for the St. Valentine’s DayMy Profile

Erin | The Law Student's Wife February 10, 2014 at 3:51 pm

These would be a lovely breakfast for Valentine’s Day, and I love that they leave me a bit of extra wiggle room to dive into a box of chocolates later in the day ;-)
Erin | The Law Student’s Wife recently posted..Red Velvet Cinnamon Rolls {Overnight}My Profile

Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel February 10, 2014 at 5:38 pm

I’m with you and Kristan! I always have the good intention of reaching for something healthy, like Cream of Wheat or a protein shake, but c’mon… PopTarts are incredibly hard to resist! But methinks if I had a plate of these muffins lying around I would be allll for them. Love that they only LOOK sinful! ;)
Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel recently posted..Black Forest Donut WhoopiesMy Profile

Maureen | Orgasmic Chef February 10, 2014 at 6:20 pm

I need to work on my strawberry muffin recipe and skinnify it. I roast the strawberries first and use white chocolate. I know, I know.. definitely not skinny enough.

I’m going to make yours and feel righteous. :) They look wonderful.
Maureen | Orgasmic Chef recently posted..Chocolate Mousse CakeMy Profile

Ashton February 10, 2014 at 10:54 pm

Nice work girl! These look delish!!! And my skinny pants thank you :)
Ashton recently posted..100 Muffin RecipesMy Profile

Kelly - Life made Sweeter February 11, 2014 at 6:38 am

I love strawberry muffins and love that you made a skinny version that includes chocolate – yay! They sound wonderful with the banana, vanilla greek yogurt and whole wheat flour:) Perfect for a delicious and healthy breakfast – pinning and can’t wait to give these a try :)
Kelly – Life made Sweeter recently posted..Red Velvet Valentine MacaronsMy Profile

Jess @ On Sugar Mountain February 11, 2014 at 4:40 pm

I want one! I want one! Or let’s make it a dozen. ;) Who can resist the chocolate/strawberry combo?!
Jess @ On Sugar Mountain recently posted..Earl Grey MadeleinesMy Profile

Ashley | Spoonful of Flavor February 11, 2014 at 5:06 pm

I can’t wait to try these muffins! I can’t enough of the chocolate and strawberry combination and love that these are “skinny”.
Ashley | Spoonful of Flavor recently posted..Whipped Vanilla CupcakesMy Profile

Tanya February 12, 2014 at 5:42 pm

These look so good. All I have are frozen strawberries, will those work?
Tanya recently posted..Keys to Attracting Top TalentMy Profile

Jennie @themessybakerblog February 14, 2014 at 7:44 am

I love mixing a few skinny options in with my decadent options. It’s all about balance. These look wonderful. Pinned.
Jennie @themessybakerblog recently posted..Turtle Cheesecake Swirl BrowniesMy Profile

Nutmeg Nanny February 23, 2014 at 10:03 am

Oh wow! These muffins look perfect :) I cannot wait to make them!
Nutmeg Nanny recently posted..Loaded Baked Potato PizzaMy Profile