Grasshopper Poke Cake
This Grasshopper Poke Cake is super easy and over the top delicious. Just a few ingredients and boxed cake mix and you’ll be enjoying this for dessert today!
Love this recipe? Sign up for Shugary Sweets email subscription and never miss out again!
I fail at pot lucks. And by fail I mean…I bring things that are half eaten. It’s so wrong, but it’s one of the downsides to being a food blogger! Ha.
Last week, my family was all getting together, and I was in charge of bringing the dessert. I knew I wanted to make a Grasshopper Poke Cake. I’m obsessed with poke cakes, and chocolate mint just seemed like the perfect answer for this time of year!
Of course it turned out lovely and I had to get a photo before I left my house. You may have seen it on Instagram?
I did show up with this cake, with a big slice missing. Fortunately my family is pretty forgiving and were just happy to enjoy some delicious cake.
You can totally just show up with the uneaten cake at your next pot luck, and just TRUST me that it’s delicious. It will be a hit!
I really should learn to bring tried and true recipes to family functions and not try to test out a new one. But isn’t that the fun of being a food blogger? Trying new recipes out on friends and family? UGH, the struggles I tell you. It’s a rough job. I mean seriously…sometimes I have to bake two or three cakes just to get it perfect. I’m kidding, it’s not rough. It’s just cake. And I’m pretty sure everyone loves cake, right?
Today’s cake starts with a boxed chocolate cake mix. I followed the box directions to make a 13×9, but I did add in some Andes Creme de Menthe baking chips. (did you know you can order them on Amazon?). I then mixed up some instant chocolate pudding mix and milk. When the cake came out of the oven, I immediately poked holes all over the top (I use a wooden skewer). Then you pour the pudding all over the cake, spreading gently so it falls into the holes. Top the pudding with a jar of hot fudge sauce. Oh yeah. Finally, I mixed up a big tub of Cool whip with a drop of green food coloring and half a teaspoon of mint extract. Spread over the cake, sprinkle with mini chocolate chips and refrigerate for at least 4 hours (or overnight).
Heck yes, this will be a big hit at dessert!
Connect with Shugary Sweets! Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!
Sign Up to receive an email in your inbox for each new recipe:
Grasshopper Poke Cake
Yield: 16 servings
Prep Time: 4 hours, 10 minutes
Cook Time: 26 minutes
- 1 box chocolate cake mix (with ingredients)
- 3/4 cup Andes creme de menthe baking chips
- 1 box (3.9oz) instant chocolate pudding mix
- 2 cup milk
- 1 1/4 cup hot fudge sauce
- 16 oz Cool Whip
- 1/2 tsp mint extract
- green food coloring
- 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips
- Bake chocolate cake according to package directions for a 13x9 cake. Before baking though, fold in the Andes baking chips!
- In a small bowl, whisk together the pudding mix with milk. Remove cake from oven and poke holes over the top immediately. I use a wooden skewer for this. Pour the pudding mix over cake while warm (no need to let pudding set). Spread hot fudge sauce over the top of the cake. Some of the pudding and hot fudge will settle into the holes of the cake, it's a good thing!
- In a large bowl, fold the Cool Whip with mint extract and a drop of green food coloring. Spread over cake and sprinkle with mini chocolate chips. Refrigerate cake for 4 hours or overnight. Slice and serve!
Love poke cakes? Here are some of my favorites:
Apple Pie Poke Cake: I crave this beauty all year long! So easy and is loved by all.
Banana Split Poke Cake: so many delicious flavors in one easy cake!
Banana Caramel Poke Cake: this dense, rich cake has an incredibly different flavor and texture than most. So good!
Here are some more Poke Cake Recipes from my friends:
- Reese’s PB Poke Cake from Six Sisters Stuff
- Pina Colada Poke Cake from Kitchen Meets Girl
- Butterfinger Poke Cake from Lemon Sugar
- Better than Christmas Poke Cake from Something Swanky
**There may be affiliate links in this post! By clicking on them, or purchasing recommended items I may receive a small compensation. However, I only recommend products I love! Thank you for supporting Shugary Sweets! See my disclosure policy for more info**