Pumpkin Spice Meringue Cookies
Melt in your mouth Pumpkin Spice Meringue Cookies are the perfect fall treat! Plus I’ve got some tips and tricks for meringue success! And, a sweet giveaway at the end of the post!
**This post is sponsored by Rodelle. I am excited to partner with them in creating delicious, family friendly recipes! All opinions are 100% my own**
Be sure to sign up for my email…new recipes in your inbox!
It’s that time of year when it seems Pumpkin Spice becomes all the rage. From lattes to coffee creamers, it’s pumpkin spice all the time!
It’s no secret I love Pumpkin Spice (and lattes and coffee creamers), which is why I’m super excited that I can now use a Pumpkin Spice Extract in my baking.
Did you know that Rodelle (yes the brand you probably think of when it comes to vanilla extract) has a new Pumpkin Spice Extract? You can purchase it on Amazon, FYI. Imagine how amazing all your pumpkin desserts will be when you swap out the vanilla and add the PSE instead? Pumpkin Muffins, Pumpkin Coffee Cake, Pumpkin Cupcakes. All better because of this new extract.
I’ve been working with Rodelle this past year to bring you delicious treats using their extracts and cocoa powder. So when they told me they would like me to create a recipe using their new Pumpkin Spice Extract, my mind whirred with ideas.
In the end, I thought it would be fun to create a recipe that the only flavoring is the extract. These Pumpkin Spice Meringue Cookies are simple, melt in your mouth cookies, with all the flavor of pumpkin!
I’ve heard from several of you on instagram and facebook saying that you’ve struggled making meringue cookies. Here are a few of my tips and tricks for perfect meringues, EVERY TIME:
- Always start with a clean, dry mixing bowl. Any trace oils will prevent your egg whites from developing stiff peaks!
- When separating your eggs, I prefer to use room temperature eggs. I find the egg white separates from the yolk much easier than when it’s chilled. Save those egg yolks and make some homemade lemon curd!!
- Once you add your egg whites to the bowl, give them a quick whisking! I prefer to use my electric mixer with whisk attachment when making meringues. I find it gives a more “even” beating!
- After a quick whisking, add in your vinegar, corn starch, pumpkin extract and a drop of orange food coloring (I use gel colors). Turn your mixer on high and slowly add the sugar. Step away and let it do it’s thing. Mine takes about 4 minutes to get some good stiff peaks!
- Line baking sheets with parchment paper (this is a must!). The parchment paper allows the meringues to rise, without sticking to the pan. Once you’re done, they lift off so easy without cracking!
- You can drop your meringue by spoonful onto the parchment paper, or make pretty designs. I fill a disposable pastry bag and use various decorating tips to make stars and swirls. Pipe all your meringues onto your baking sheets. Sprinkle with a little bit of nutmeg!
- Cook meringues on a low heat for a long time. I do mine at 200F for about 80 minutes. DO NOT OPEN THE OVEN DOOR.
- Once they are done baking, DO NOT OPEN THE OVEN DOOR. Have I said that yet? Seriously. Turn the oven off, but keep your meringues in there. I like to make my meringues after dinner. Cook and turn oven off. Then I go to bed. When I wake up, they are perfect! If you make them during the day, let them sit in the oven for about 3-4 hours before taking them out.
- Do not bake them when it’s humid. Do not store them in your humid house. They will become sticky. Guaranteed. ENJOY!
Want to win your own bottle of Pumpkin Spice Extract from Rodelle?
We have put together a gift basket of some of my favorite items for one lucky winner. And guess what? You international friends are included!! Yay!! The winner will receive a bottle of Pumpkin Spice Extract, a bottle of Vanilla Extract, Rodelle unsweetened Cocoa Powder, a bottle of Almond Extract and some Turkey Brine (I can’t wait to try this out on our Thanksgiving Turkey this year, I’ve heard great reviews!!).
———-> How to ENTER<———– Leave a comment on this blog post telling me what you would make using one of these Rodelle products if you win! (hint: my cookies, haha). Giveaway ends on October 31, 2015 at midnight! ENTER NOW! GIVEAWAY IS NOW CLOSED!!!!!
Connect with Rodelle:
Pumpkin Spice Meringue Cookies
Yield: 60 cookies
Prep Time: 15 minutes, plus 4 hours
Cook Time: 80 minutes
- 4 large egg whites
- 1 Tbsp white vinegar
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 1 drop orange gel food coloring
- 3/4 tsp Rodelle Pumpkin Spice Extract
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 tsp nutmeg
- Line baking sheets with parchment paper (I used 3 15x10-inch sized baking sheets). Set aside.
- In a clean, dry mixing bowl, whisk the egg whites for 30 seconds until frothy.
- Add in vinegar, cornstarch, food coloring, and Pumpkin Spice Extract. Turn mixer on high and beat. While beating, slowly add the sugar in a steady stream.
- Beat for 4 minutes on high until still peaks form.
- Spoon meringue into a large pastry bag with a tip of your choice. Pipe onto parchment paper lined baking sheets. Sprinkle immediately with nutmeg.
- Bake in a 200 degree oven for about 80 minutes. (DO NOT OPEN OVEN DOOR)
- Turn oven off and allow meringues to set 4 hours or overnight (DO NOT OPEN OVEN DOOR DURING THIS TIME).
- Once set, remove from parchment paper and enjoy!
Here are some of my favorite recipes using Rodelle products!!
Chocolate Cheesecake Bars: graham cracker crust, creamy cheesecake, and chocolate cookie top. What’s not to love??
Vanilla Bean Shortbread Cookies: use any color sprinkles for any occasion. These are so buttery and good!
Vanilla Funfetti Cake: a from scratch funfetti cake filled with creamy vanilla buttercream frosting!!
**I’ve partnered with Rodelle Kitchens as a brand ambassador to create delicious recipes for you, my readers! I personally love their products, and all opinions are 100% my own. There may be affiliate links in this post! By clicking on them, or purchasing recommended items I may receive a small compensation. However, I only recommend products I love! Thank you for supporting Shugary Sweets! See my disclosure policy for more info**