Slow Cooker Sweet Chili Chicken
This Slow Cooker Sweet Chili Chicken has a sweet and tangy flavor that your family will love! Dust off your crockpot and get cooking!
Be sure to sign up for my email…new recipes in your inbox
I am always on the hunt for dinners to make in my slow cooker. If I can create a dinner with minimal prep…that tastes amazing, count me in!
Today’s Slow Cooker Sweet Chili Chicken is incredible. I wasn’t sure how this one would do with the family, but it got thumbs up from everyone. The sweet, tangy chili sauce was perfect. Make sure you buy the right kind of sweet chili sauce (this is the one I used). You want to make sure it’s a Thai SWEET chili sauce (not Heinz chili sauce, LOL).
Also, one trick I’ve learned to tender, MOIST, chicken in the crockpot is to use boneless chicken THIGHS. Even my husband, who doesn’t normally care for dark meat, notices a delicious difference when I use thighs vs breasts in the slow cooker. Chicken Breasts tend to dry out more quickly and they don’t seem to retain the flavor as well as thighs.
I served our chicken on a bed of cilantro-lime rice. But if you have a favorite quinoa recipe or rice pilaf, that would work great too!
A couple of notes about this recipe:
- Add all the marinade ingredients to the slow cooker before adding the chicken. Whisk it all together. There is no need to dirty a second bowl for this, unless you like washing dishes!
- Use boneless, skinless chicken thighs! Seriously, I love using chicken thighs in slow cooker dishes as the chicken doesn’t dry out like chicken breasts will.
- When you’re ready to thicken the sauce, be sure to give yourself about 20-30 minutes before serving. In a small glass (or bowl) whisk together the cornstarch and chicken broth into a thick paste. Add to the slow cooker and simmer until serving. You can also use water instead of broth to thicken your sauce.
- Add your cilantro right before serving for a little pop of color and flavor to this dish! ENJOY!
I created a fun little group on facebook and I’d love for you to join in! It’s a place where you can share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, and see what’s new with Shugary Sweets (so that you never miss a new recipe)! If you’d like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #shugarysweets so I can see all the wonderful SHUGARY SWEETS recipes YOU make!
Connect with Shugary Sweets! Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!
Sign up to receive an email in your inbox for each new recipe:
Slow Cooker Sweet Chili Chicken
Yield: serves 6
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 6
For the Glaze:
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs (you can substitute breasts if you prefer)
- 3/4 cup sweet chili sauce (I love this brand)
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
For the thickened glaze:
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
For the garnish:
- 1 handful, snipped cilantro
- In the bottom of a large slow cooker, combine sweet chili sauce, chicken broth, salt, pepper, and soy sauce. Whisk together. Add in chicken thighs on top of glaze, and spoon some of the glaze over the top of the chicken.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 hours (do not open the lid while cooking, you want to maintain the moisture inside!)
- To thicken the sauce (optional), remove the chicken and cut into bite sized pieces. Before returning chicken to the crockpot, thicken the sauce by whisking the broth and cornstarch together in a small glass. Pour into the glaze and stir. Add cooked chicken, cover and allow to cook about 20-30 minutes more (perfect amount of time to make some cilantro lime rice)!
- To serve, add the snipped cilantro over the top, stir, and enjoy!
**There may be affiliate links in this post! By clicking on them, or purchasing recommended items I may receive a small compensation. However, I only recommend products I love! Thank you for supporting Shugary Sweets! See my disclosure policy for more info**