Well, Friday is here and so are the kids. We have our 5th snow day of the year, so they are once again home from school. Unfortunately it is too cold for them to go outside and play, so I had to find a quick treat to make! Sorry Jeff, it’s not healthy.
- 2 sticks butter, plus 2 Tbsp
- 2 cup flour
- 2/3 cup sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp vanilla
- 2-14 oz cans of sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup milk chocolate morsels
- ½ cup semi sweet morsels
- For the shortbread. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a food processor, pluse 2 sticks butter (cut into chunks), flour, sugar, salt and vanilla until well blended. Press the shortbread into 2-8inch square pans (or one large cookie sheet).
- Bake until golden brown around the edges, about 20 minutes. Remove and cool.
- For the caramel layer, mix condensed milk with 2 Tbsp butter. Heat on medium-low until boil, then cook an additional 10-15 minutes until mixture becomes thick and amber colored. Pour over cooked shortbread layer and allow to cool to room temperature. If you want a quick substitution, eliminate the butter and replace the two cans of sweetened condensed milk with two cans of dulce de leche. Pour dulce de leche right over the shortbread layer (no need to cook).
- When caramel has reached room temperature, melt morsels until creamy, and pour over caramel layer. Allow to harden in refrigerator. Serve in squares. Yum Yum Yum.
MAKING THIS RECIPE? Share it with me on Instagram using the hashtag #ShugarySweets so I can see what you're cooking up in the kitchen!
**There may be affiliate links in this post! By clicking on them, or purchasing recommended items I may receive a small compensation. However, I only recommend products I love! Thank you for supporting Shugary Sweets! See my disclosure policy for more info**