Santa Fe Stuffed Peppers
Tell me you all are enjoying the dinner recipes I’ve been putting on the blog this year! Today I’ve got another delicious, healthy option for you! It’s no secret that I love the spice, cumin. Seriously love it. I try it put it in as many dinners as possible. Today’s stuffed peppers are no exception!
Normally I would make my mom’s version of stuffed peppers: green peppers stuffed with a mixture of ground beef, minute rice, tomato soup, salt, pepper and egg. Delicious? Yes. Healthy? um, no.
I knew I wanted to do a healthy spin on my favorite dinner. We are trying real hard to eat healthier this New Year! When I saw the can of Classico crushed tomatoes at Walmart, I knew where I would go with this recipe. Mexican inspired! With cumin of course.
I added jasmine rice to my healthier version. With 4 active kids they need some carbs in their meal. But if you’re watching your carbs, feel free to use less, or skip the rice all together (or try using quinoa)!
I also added in some black beans and sweet corn to give these stuffed peppers more of that Santa Fe feel! The crushed tomatoes helped bring all the ingredients together. I was surprised at how fresh they tasted, even though it’s tomatoes from a can! Delicious! Did you know Classico Canned Tomatoes are 100% all natural, packed fresh with no added preservatives?
This was a bad year for my garden’s tomato crop and I have relied on canned tomatoes this winter to make my favorite chili and spaghetti sauces. Classico canned tomatoes have come in handy by providing such a great tasting product. Especially since we use tomatoes at least once a week! Classico’s website is filled with some other great recipes too! Give them a try!
This recipe makes a large pan (8 peppers), perfect for company or a big family (like mine)! Feel free to make a smaller portion by cutting the recipe in half! ENJOY.
Santa Fe Stuffed Peppers
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes
- 3/4 lb ground turkey breast
- 1 1/2 Tbsp cumin
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 can (28oz) Classico Crushed Tomatoes
- 1 can (15.25oz) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15.25oz) sweet corn, drained
- 3 cup Jasmine Rice (cooked)
- 8 fresh Sweet Red peppers
- 1 cup reduced fat Colby Jack cheese
- 2 green onions, sliced
- Wash red peppers and slice the tops off each pepper. Remove the seeds. Stand each pepper up next to eachother in a large baking dish (13x9).
- In a large skillet, brown ground turkey until fully cooked. Drain. Return to skillet. Add cumin, salt, tomatoes, black bean and sweet corn. Simmer about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook Jasmine rice according to package.
- Add cooked rice to skillet, combining completely. Remove from heat. Fill each red pepper with turkey mixture.Cover dish with foil and bake in a 350 degree oven for about 40-45 minutes. Remove foil and to with cheese. Bake an additional 5 minutes, until cheese is melted. Remove from oven and sprinkle with green onion pieces.
- Serve and enjoy!
MAKING THIS RECIPE? Share it with me on Instagram using the hashtag #ShugarySweets so I can see what you're cooking up in the kitchen!
Connect with Shugary Sweets!
**I am a member of the Collective Bias® Social Fabric® Community. This shop has been compensated as part of a social shopper insights study for Collective Bias® and Classico #cbias #SocialFabric #CookClassico
**There may be affiliate links in this post! By clicking on them, or purchasing recommended items I may receive a small compensation. However, I only recommend products I love! Thank you for supporting Shugary Sweets! See my disclosure policy for more info**