Apple Cinnamon Roll Coffee Cake
Breakfast just got a whole lot tastier with this Apple Cinnamon Roll Coffee Cake recipe! Easy to assemble, hard to wait for it to finish baking!
Be sure to sign up for my free email subscription…new recipes in your inbox
*I am part of the Ambassador program with Crunch Pak apples. While I have been compensated for this recipe, all opinions are 100% my own**
I have a weakness for breakfast pastries. Coffee cakes, doughnuts, scones, muffins. I get weak. Anything really that pairs nicely with my hot coffee is a win. And if it has a glaze or frosting, it’s only better in my book!
Often times when I visit my Grandma or have friends over for coffee, I whip up a quick breakfast pastry. This Swedish Almond Cake is a popular treat in my kitchen because it’s so easy to make. I’d love to make Cinnamon Rolls, but we all know with yeast, we have to wait for things to rise, and then rolling out dough….it can be a pain.
Know what’s easy? Cinnamon Roll Coffee Cake. I love the sweet, moist cake with the cinnamon swirls. And for today’s recipe I added APPLES.
As you may know I’ve partnered with Crunch Pak sliced apples for YEARS. My kids enjoy sliced apples on the go, whether it’s in lunches or as snacks at their sporting events. I love using the sliced apples in my baking! Did you know you can purchase the sliced apples already peeled? HUGE time saver. Although, if I’m going to be honest, if I can’t find the peeled ones, I’ve totally diced up the regular apple slices, peel and all, and added them to this cake!
How to make Apple Cinnamon Roll Coffee Cake:
- Start by greasing your cake pan, generously. The brown sugar swirls in this cake get real sticky, so you want to make sure it will release from the pan. I use baking spray (the kind that has the flour in it, made specifically for baking) and a piece of parchment paper to line the bottom of the pan. Can’t be too careful. I love that you buy the pre-cut circles of parchment on Amazon, I mean, if we’re going to talk shortcuts, I’m going to be totally honest about what I do here at home!
- Using a large mixing bowl, make your batter. Pour that into the cake pan, scraping out the bowl completely.
- Instead of using another bowl, I make it easy on myself and use the same bowl from the batter, and I combine the butter and brown sugar with the cinnamon in the mixing bowl. Fold in the diced Crunch Pak apples. Using a teaspoon, drop pieces all over the top of the cake, then use a knife to swirl this into the batter!
- Bake cake. Run a mile. Do a few situps. Drizzle cake with extra frosting and eat cake. ENJOY!
Don’t be alarmed if the center of your cake falls slightly. The weight of the apples and brown sugar bring it down a little, but it still tastes amazing. I like to drizzle the glaze on the cake while it’s warm and eat the cake warm too! The brown sugar seeps into the bottom of the cake, creating an almost “upside down” cake texture!
Be sure to stop on over to Crunch Pak for some delicious recipes and ideas!
I created a fun little group on facebook and I’d love for you to join in! It’s a place where you can share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, and see what’s new with Shugary Sweets (so that you never miss a new recipe)! If you’d like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
Connect with Shugary Sweets! Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!
Sign up to receive an email in your inbox for each new recipe:
Apple Cinnamon Roll Coffee Cake
Yield: serves 8
Prep Time:15 minutes
Cook Time:30-33 minutes
For the cake batter:
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 cup milk (I use fat free)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
For the filling:
- 6 Tbsp unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup (about 6 oz) Crunch Pak sliced apples, diced finely
For the glaze:
- 1 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 2 Tbsp milk
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9-inch cake pan with baking spray, and line the bottom only with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, baking soda, milk, eggs, and vanilla. Beat until well combined. Pour into prepared cake pan.
- In mixing bowl, combine softened butter with brown sugar and cinnamon until creamy. Fold in diced apples. Drop by teaspoon onto batter. Swirl with a knife.
- Bake for 30-33 minutes. Remove from oven and cool in pan about 5 minutes. Remove from pan and place on a cake plate.
- For the glaze, whisk together sugar, milk, and cinnamon. Drizzle over warm cake and enjoy immediately!
MAKING THIS RECIPE? Share it with me on Instagram using the hashtag #ShugarySweets so I can see what you're cooking up in the kitchen!
Caramel Apple Coffee Cake: delicious cake topped with sweet apples, a layer of crumb topping and a caramel glaze!
Praline Topped Apple Bread: Two loaves of nutty apple bread with a brown sugar praline topping. Who’s hungry? This bread freezes well, and is perfect to give to family and friends or as a hostess gift!
Caramel Apple Bundt Cake: Packed with apples, cinnamon and brown sugar, it’s the caramel frosting that’s truly the “icing on the cake.”
**There may be affiliate links in this post! By clicking on them, or purchasing recommended items I may receive a small compensation. However, I only recommend products I love! Thank you for supporting Shugary Sweets! See my disclosure policy for more info**