Banana Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
This Banana Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting recipe is everything you want it to be, and more! Two moist layers of ‘from scratch’ Banana Cake, topped with a sweet frosting!
Click HERE to save recipe to Pinterest!
Happy Birthday to me!!!!! Or you. Today could be SOMEONE’s birthday, right?
Sometimes you have to take the initiative and wish yourself a happy birthday….and bake your own cake!
As you can see, I baked up a layered Banana Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting. Such a great use for those overripe bananas on the kitchen counter!
You guys, this is what I want every birthday. For real. A sweet layered cake packed with banana flavor and covered in frosting and frosting packed in the center too.
And, as you can see I’m not about fancy frosting swirls or crazy garnishes. Just give me an extra large slice of cake (which means I’ve got lots of frosting).
My kids? They tend to swipe off some of that extra frosting and just eat the cake. So bizarre. I don’t complain though, because I just scoop that extra frosting with my spoon and eat it up. I don’t get the name “Shugary Sweets” for nothing 🙂
How to make Banana Cake:
STEP 1: Start by preheating your oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour two 9-inch cake pans.
PRO TIP: When making a layer cake, I like to use these Wilton’s Bake Even Strips. It keeps your cake layers level and flat, perfect for stacking (and they just slide right onto your cake pans)!
STEP 2: Beat room temperature butter and sugar in a mixing bowl for several minutes, until creamy. Add in egg, vanilla, and mashed ripe bananas. You can mash banana in a bowl, or directly in your butter mixture.
Add remaining dry ingredients and beat for 2 minutes until fully blended.
STEP 3: Pour batter evenly between the two prepared cake pans. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes. Check if done by toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from oven and cool in pans for 10 minutes, then flip onto a cooling rack to cool completely before frosting.
STEP 4: For the cream cheese frosting, beat softened butter and cream cheese in a large bowl for 3-4 minutes until fluffy and pale. Add vanilla, heavy cream, and powdered sugar. Beat for an additional 3-4 minutes until light and fluffy.
STEP 5: To assemble the cake, lay one layer of cooled cake on a cake plate. Spoon a generous amount of filling over the first layer. Add second layer of cake. Spread frosting over cake. Slice and enjoy!
Tips for the BEST Banana cake Recipe:
- Ensure that your butter (and cream cheese for the frosting) are room temperature.
- Don’t over mix the cake batter. When adding the dry ingredients, do it just until combined.
- Check your oven temperature for accuracy. Oven temps oven vary, so if you don’t have a gauge in your oven, be sure to check your cake early.
Looking for more Banana desserts? I’ve got you covered with these great recipes:
A delicious Banana Cake with Nutella Frosting. Sweet, moist banana cake with a nutty, creamy frosting. Doesn’t get much better than this!
So many fun flavors in one cake! This Banana Split Cake has it all…bananas, pineapple, strawberry, chocolate, whipped cream frosting and more! Perfect for a birthday cake, graduation, or just a dessert with family and friends!
No oven needed with this beautiful, layered NO BAKE Banana Cream Cheesecake! You’ll love the cookie crust with the creamy cheesecake, fresh bananas, banana pudding and whipped topping!
Add a little texture and tang to your breakfast with this Sour Cream Banana Bread. The addition of sour cream in this recipe is pure genius for the most delicious, moist slice of banana bread!
Love Cream Cheese frosting? Here are more recipes you can use it with:
You’re going to love eating these Carrot Cake Muffins for breakfast. Especially since they are topped with a cream cheese frosting and walnuts!
How about baking up a Pumpkin Cream Cheese Bundt Cake this fall? Not only will your house smell amazing, but the flavor of this cake will knock your socks off!
This Carrot Cake Cheesecake Cake is a showstopper! Layers of homemade carrot cake, a cheesecake center and it’s all topped with a delicious cream cheese frosting!
What you need for this banana cake recipe:
If you want a quick glance at what’s needed for today’s recipe, look no further. For the printable recipe with measurements, scroll all the way down!
- Two 9-inch cake pans
- Wilton’s Bake Even strips (optional)- these are great so you don’t have to cut any cake off!
- Granulated sugar (some people like to use light brown sugar in this recipe)
- 1 egg
- Vanilla extract
- 4 Overripe Bananas
- All-purpose flour
- Baking Soda
- Baking powder
- Cream Cheese
- Powdered sugar
- Heavy Whipping Cream
I created a fun little group on facebook and I’d love for you to join in! It’s a place where you can share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, and see what’s new with Shugary Sweets (so that you never miss a new recipe)! If you’d like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
Connect with Shugary Sweets!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!
MORE Cake Recipes:
- Best Chocolate Cake Recipe – with chocolate frosting too!
- Coconut Cake
- Banana Snack Cakes
- Pumpkin Cheesecake Cake
- Lemon Coconut Cake
- Ding Dong Cake
- Pudding Cake recipe
- Chocolate Eclair Cake
- More DESSERTS!
Banana Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting recipe and video:
This Banana Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting is everything you want it to be, and more! Two moist layers of 'from scratch' Banana Cake, topped with a sweet Cream Cheese frosting!
For the cake:
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 small bananas (about 1 1/2 cups mashed)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
For the frosting:
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 package (8oz) cream cheese, softened
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degree F. Grease two 9-inch cake pans with shortening and flour. I like to use these Wilton's Bake Even Strips. It keeps your cake layers level and flat, perfect for stacking (and the just slide right onto your cake pans)! Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat butter and sugar until creamy. Add in egg, vanilla, and bananas (you can mash them first, but I toss them in and it does the work). Add in flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Beat for a couple minutes until fully blended.
- Pour batter evenly between the two cake pans. Bake for 25 minutes. Remove from oven and cool in pans for about 10 minutes. Flip onto a cooling rack to cool completely before frosting.
- For the frosting, beat butter and cream cheese for 3-4 minutes, until light and fluffy. Add in vanilla, heavy cream, and powdered sugar. Beat an additional 3-5 minutes. scraping down the sides of the bowl periodically.
- To assemble the cake, lay one layer of cooled cake on a cake plate. Spoon frosting over middle layer generously. Top with second layer of cake. Spoon and spread frosting over cake evenly. ENJOY!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 413 Total Fat: 20g Saturated Fat: 12g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 6g Cholesterol: 63mg Sodium: 202mg Carbohydrates: 58g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 43g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 3g
Recipe originally published July 23, 2018
Perfect Banana Cake recipe with homemade cream cheese frosting. You’ll love this easy, from scratch recipe!
**There may be affiliate links in this post! By clicking on them, or purchasing recommended items I may receive a small compensation. However, I only recommend products I love! Thank you for supporting Shugary Sweets! See my disclosure policy for more info**