Easy Baked Empanadas with Cheesy Saffron Rice and Salsa
Easy baked chicken empanadas with Cheesy Saffron rice
I don’t think I have ever eaten an authentic empanada in my life.
I claim to anyone who asks that Mexican and southwest food is my favorite, yet I am a creature of habit. Fajitas, tacos, burritos, and nachos. There is my repertoire of Mexican food.
So, I say that because I claim these are empanadas.
Yes, they are baked not fried. As for the other differences?
I’m sure those of you who LOVE empanadas will enlighten me to what makes one authentic. But, for this midwestern girl, I give you MY version of a baked empanada.
With an easy cheesy saffron rice. You’re welcome.
For the Empanadas:
- 1/2 cup canned sweet corn
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and diced
- 1/2 cup black beans, rinsed
- 1/2 cup salsa (any variety)
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- 2 pkg (14.1oz) refrigerated pie pastry
- 1 large chicken breast, cooked and diced
- 1/2 cup Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
For the Rice:
- 10oz pkg Saffron yellow rice (I used Vigo brand)- about 5 cups prepared
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 1 cup Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- In large bowl mix corn, jalapenos, black beans, salsa, cumin, lime juice and cilantro. Set aside.
- Unroll pie pastry on floured counter top. Using a 4inch round cookie cutter, cut circles out of pastry. Re-roll the scraps and repeat, using both sheets of pie pastry. I ended up with 24 circles.
- In the center of each circle, add about 1 Tbsp corn and bean mixture, about a tablespoon of diced chicken and a teaspoon of cheese. Pinch edges together and fold them over to secure.
- Repeat for remaining circles.
- Lay each empanada on a parchment paper lined baking sheet and bake in a 450 degree oven for about 12 minutes, until browned. Serve with remaining corn and black bean salsa.
- Meanwhile, for the rice, prepare yellow rice according to package directions.
- Combine hot cooked rice with cream cheese, Jack cheese, cumin, salt and onion powder. Pour into an 8inch square baking dish. Sprinkle with paprika. Bake, uncovered, in a 350 degree oven for about 25 minutes.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 401 Total Fat: 19g Saturated Fat: 9g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 7g Cholesterol: 51mg Sodium: 634mg Carbohydrates: 45g Fiber: 4g Sugar: 6g Protein: 18g
**There may be affiliate links in this post! By clicking on them, or purchasing recommended items I may receive a small compensation. However, I only recommend products I love! Thank you for supporting Shugary Sweets! See my disclosure policy for more info**