Frosted Gooey Chocolate Cake Bars
Starting with a cake mix, these Gooey Chocolate cake bars are filled with cream cheese, cocoa and topped with a delicious, creamy Chocolate Frosting.
In my effort to get my house ready and packed for our big move this summer, I’m working my way through my pantry.
Last week I stumbled across a box of Devil’s Food Cake mix, it practically jumped out of my pantry, screaming, MAKE ME YOU FOOL.
Okay, so I have a wicked imagination, but if that were the case, you can understand why I indeed had to use this cake mix. Immediately.
A few years back I made this gooey chocolate cake. I dusted it in powdered sugar, took a really bad photo (which I thought was great at the time, my how my photography has changed). And I shared this with all of you.
My original intention was to just remake the recipe and update the photos.
But then my sweet tooth screamed “FROST ME YOU FOOL.” That happened. I’m sure of it.
And because I always listen to my sweet tooth, I made a rich chocolate frosting, using my Baking Cocoa and slathered these cake bars with loads of creamy frosting.
And if that wasn’t enough, I topped that with some chocolate sprinkles and mini chocolate chips. This is like QUADRUPLE chocolate bars.
They are intensely rich. But insanely delicious! I originally cut these into 24 bars. Then realized how rich they were and cut those bars each in half!
By pressing the first layer down into a crust, they resemble brownies and you don’t NEED a fork. However, the gooey center layer, filled with cream cheese, will make you sigh as you sink your teeth into these bars.
And the frosting? I have no more words. You just need to trust me that these are good and need to be made ASAP. Like right now, what are you waiting for???
More Cake Mix recipes
- Gooey Butter Cake
- Lemon Cake Mix Cookies
- Cake Mix Cookies
- Pumpkin Cake
- Gooey Lemon Cake
- Pineapple Orange Cake
- Watermelon Cupcakes
Connect with Shugary Sweets!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!
- 1 box chocolate cake mix
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup melted, unsalted butter
- 1 package (8oz) cream cheese, softened
- 2 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup melted, unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup unsweetened baking cocoa (I use Rodelle)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (I use Rodelle)
For the frosting:
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup unsweetened baking cocoa
- 2 Tbsp milk
- sprinkles & mini chocolate chips for garnish, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 13x9 baking dish with baking spray (I use Baker's Joy or Pam for baking). Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, beat cake mix with egg and melted butter. The mixture will be thick and crumbly. Dump into the baking dish and press into the bottom of the pan (using finger tips or bottom of a cup to press evenly).
- In same mixing bowl, beat cream cheese with powdered sugar, eggs, melted butter, cocoa and vanilla. Beat for about 2-3 minutes until creamy and fully combined (scrape down edges of bowl occasionally). Pour over first layer in baking dish, spreading evenly.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes. Remove from oven and cool completely before frosting.
- For the frosting, beat butter with powdered sugar, vanilla, cocoa and milk for 3-5 minutes until fluffy. Spread over cooled cake. Add sprinkles and chocolate chips if desired.
- Store covered in refrigerator for up to one week. ENJOY.
Serving Size:1 bar
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 239 Total Fat: 16g Saturated Fat: 9g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 5g Cholesterol: 57mg Sodium: 32mg Carbohydrates: 24g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 22g Protein: 2g
Recipe originally published May 10, 2014
**There may be affiliate links in this post! By clicking on them, or purchasing recommended items I may receive a small compensation. However, I only recommend products I love! Thank you for supporting Shugary Sweets! See my disclosure policy for more info**