Get out your slow cooker, this Southwest Chicken Chowder is a fix and forget it dinner recipe! Packed with potatoes, corn and chicken, you’ll love the kick of flavor from the jalapenos, salsa and taco seasoning!
Love slow cooker recipes? Add Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Soup to your must-try list next.
Why this Recipe Works
- Set it and forget it. Put everything in your crockpot and walk away while dinner cooks!
- Hearty and flavorful. Taco seasoning adds the perfect kick to the creamy chicken chowder.
- Nourishing and delicious. With plenty of protein and natural ingredients, this is a meal you’ll feel good about serving your family.
- Make it your own. Add black beans, cream cheese or more cheese to customize your chowder to your heart’s content! It’s delicious every way.
Taco seasoning. I used my go-to Homemade Taco Seasoning to season the Slow Cooker Chicken Chowder. Store bought packets world great too.
Chicken. I prefer chicken breasts here, but boneless skinless thighs can also be used.
Cheddar cheese. Colby Jack, Monterrey or your favorite Mexican cheese blend works well too.
Tips & Tricks
- Shred cheese yourself. Freshly shredded cheese melts into the chicken chowder so much better than store bought.
- For a thicker chicken chowder: add 4 oz of cream cheese and 1/2 cup of sour cream in the last 30 minutes of slow cooking.
- Black bean chicken chowder. Add a can of black beans to the chowder for even more heartiness.
Homemade chowder is a perfect vehicle for all your favorite southwestern toppings. Here are the toppings we love to load on to this chicken chowder just before serving.
- Tortilla strips
- Avocado slices
- Shredded cheese
- Sour cream.
- Fresh chopped cilantro.
Transfer leftovers to an airtight container. Store in the refrigerator and enjoy reheated within 3 days.
Yes, this chowder can be frozen for up to 3 months.
Frozen chicken breasts would definitely work thin this chowder recipe! You may need to add more cooking time.
Yes, I have made this with recipe with canned, frozen and fresh corn and it’s wonderful every way.
Creamy and hearty chowder that’s brimming with southwestern flavor! Chicken Chowder is an easy slow cooker recipe that’ll have everyone coming back to the kitchen for more!