I rarely buy store bought treats. I mean, seriously, have you seen the amount of goodies I bake on a regular basis? However, one of my favorite indulgences is getting some Dunkin Donuts coffee and a strawberry glazed donut.
I don’t do this often, but when I do, I repeatedly mumble and moan “OMG I need to do this more often.” I LOVE strawberry frosted donuts. I have found the Strawberry Donut flavored Dunkin Donuts coffee (in the bags) at the grocery store, and it’s delicious too!
A few years ago I recreated what I thought, and still agree, is the perfect copycat recipe for those glazed donuts:
Then why you might ask am I sharing another recipe? Well, I undertand some of you (and ME) don’t have time to make yeast donuts. Letting them rise, frying them up. And we all know how delicious fried donuts taste, but they really are only good on the first day.
So how about an easier, yet still delicious, strawberry donut recipe?
ENTER….Vanilla Bean Baked Donuts with Strawberry Frosting. (look at the flecks of vanilla bean down there!!)
My husband proclaimed these are his favorite donuts I ever made. The cake donut is very moist and flavored with vanilla beans. Not your typical dry cake donut. So don’t be expecting anything dry and crumbly. I glazed them with my favorite strawberry frosting. You can make this while the donuts are baking. And unlike yeast donuts, these are still good on day two and three (if they last that long). Plus, you can make them (from start to finish) in under 30 minutes!!! That’s a win in my book.
I know my kids are hoping a platter of these appears again on Valentine’s Day morning!
Want more BAKED donut recipes? Here are a few of my favorites…
Chocolate Donuts (baked) with a Chocolate Glaze: my kids LOVE these donuts, and like the strawberry ones today, these are quick and easy!
Cherry Donuts (baked) with Vanilla Glaze: another moist donut recipe, filled with maraschino cherries and topped with a vanilla glaze!
Baked Eggnog Donuts: I know eggnog is not in season right now, so you may want to save this recipe for later. It’s definitely a keeper!
You may have seen this photo on my Instagram last week. Are you following me behind the scenes yet??
For the Donuts:
- 2 cup all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 2 tsp vanilla extra
- 1 vanilla bean, scraped
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup skim milk
- 2 Tbsp butter, melted
For the Glaze:
- 1/4 cup skim milk
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 Tbsp strawberry gelatin powder
- sprinkles, optional
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all donut ingredients until well blended. Fill a donut pan 1/2-3/4 full with batter. I like to put my batter in a large ziploc bag and snip off the corner. Makes filling the donut pan much easier (and cleaner). Bake donuts in a 325 degree oven for about 12 minutes. Remove. Cool on wire rack for 5 minutes, remove from pan and cool completely before glazing.
- While donuts are baking, add milk, cream and vanilla to a medium sized saucepan over medium-low heat. Stir and heat until warm. Whisk in the gelatin mix and slowly whisk in powdered sugar. Remove from heat.
- To glaze donuts, either dip donut tops into glaze and immediately add sprinkles. Or, using a large spatula, spread glaze on top of donuts and add sprinkles, if desired.
- Allow to set, about 5-10 minutes. ENJOY!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 415Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 51mgSodium: 455mgCarbohydrates: 86gFiber: 1gSugar: 65gProtein: 5g
*Nutrition facts are an estimate and not guaranteed to be accurate. Please see a registered dietitian for special diet advice.