I really wanted to only use fresh watermelon juice in the frosting, but the flavor didn’t “burst” enough for me. So I added in 1/2tsp of watermelon-cherry Koolaid mix (the dry stuff). If you have access to watermelon flavoring (I was too lazy to go to the store to buy it), that would be a great substitute as well.
For the cupcakes:
- 1 box (18.25oz) white cake mix
- 1 box (3oz) lime Jello (not sugar free)
- 3 egg whites
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 1/4 cup water
For the Topping:
- 8oz white chocolate, melted
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp Koolaid powdered mix (watermelon flavor)
- 3-4 Tbsp milk
- 3/4 cup mini chocolate chips
- For the cake, add cake mix, jello, egg whites, oil and water in a mixing bowl. Beat 2 minutes until blended. Fill cupcake liners 2/3 full and bake in a 350 degree oven for 15-18 minutes. Do not overbake. Allow to cool completely.
- When cooled, spread melted white chocolate over top of each cupcake. While that sets, begin your frosting.
- In mixer, beat butter with powdered sugar, Koolaid mix and milk. Beat for about 3-5 minutes until fluffy and smooth. Using a decorator bag and tip (I used 6S), pipe frosting on each cupcake and immediately sprinkle with chocolate chips. ENJOY!
MAKING THIS RECIPE? Share it with me on Instagram using the hashtag #ShugarySweets so I can see what you're cooking up in the kitchen!
**There may be affiliate links in this post! By clicking on them, or purchasing recommended items I may receive a small compensation. However, I only recommend products I love! Thank you for supporting Shugary Sweets! See my disclosure policy for more info**