I really wanted to only use fresh watermelon juice in the frosting, but the flavor didn’t “burst” enough for me. So I added in 1/2tsp of watermelon-cherry Koolaid mix (the dry stuff). If you have access to watermelon flavoring (I was too lazy to go to the store to buy it), that would be a great substitute as well.
For the cupcakes:
- 1 box (18.25oz) white cake mix
- 1 box (3oz) lime Jello (not sugar free)
- 3 egg whites
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 1/4 cup water
For the Topping:
- 8oz white chocolate, melted
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp Koolaid powdered mix (watermelon flavor)
- 3-4 Tbsp milk
- 3/4 cup mini chocolate chips
- For the cake, add cake mix, jello, egg whites, oil and water in a mixing bowl. Beat 2 minutes until blended. Fill cupcake liners 2/3 full and bake in a 350 degree oven for 15-18 minutes. Do not overbake. Allow to cool completely.
- When cooled, spread melted white chocolate over top of each cupcake. While that sets, begin your frosting.
- In mixer, beat butter with powdered sugar, Koolaid mix and milk. Beat for about 3-5 minutes until fluffy and smooth. Using a decorator bag and tip (I used 6S), pipe frosting on each cupcake and immediately sprinkle with chocolate chips. ENJOY!