These sweet and festive Watermelon Cupcakes are the perfect summer recipe! Easy to make and delicious too!
Click HERE to save recipe to Pinterest!
One of our favorite things we enjoy in summer is watermelon. We eat a whole melon every week in the summer, not even exaggerating. . Actually, I cut a melon in the morning and it’s gone by bedtime, but I don’t buy another one for a week, or at least until my next shopping trip. Even our dogs get in on the summer watermelon eating fun!
To tie us over until our next shopping trip, I whipped up a batch of these super cute and fun Watermelon themed cupcakes! Nobody has to know they start from a cake mix…and the flavor is so wonderful, even the adults will enjoy this festive treat!
Now that the kids are out of school for break, I think it’s time to celebrate with a batch of these cuties!
How to make Watermelon Cupcakes:
- For the cupcake, add cake mix, lime gelatin, egg whites, oil and water in a mixing bowl. Beat 2 minutes until blended. Fill cupcake liners 2/3 full and bake in a 350 degree oven for 15-18 minutes. Do not overbake. Allow to cool completely.
- When cooled, spread melted white chocolate over top of each cupcake. While that sets, begin your frosting.
- In a mixer, beat butter with powdered sugar, Koolaid mix and milk. Beat for about 3-5 minutes until fluffy and smooth. Using a decorator bag and tip (I used 6S), pipe frosting on each cupcake and immediately sprinkle with chocolate chips. ENJOY!
- I really wanted to use watermelon juice for the frosting, but the flavor didn’t burst enough for me! So instead I used 1/2 tsp of watermelon-cherry Koolaid mix. If you can’t find the koolaid mix, you can order watermelon flavoring on Amazon!
I must say, these tasted perfect. The lime flavored cupcake was so slight, but just enough to give a good base flavor. The melted white chocolate hardened and gives a little texture to your bite. I loved these.
Love today’s Watermelon Cupcake recipe? Here are some more fun summer treat ideas:
- Delicious Pink Lemonade Cupcakes. Refreshing and tasty, everyone will enjoy!
- A light and refreshing Strawberry JELL-O cake. Add a twist of fun by baking up a Funfetti Cake!
- A quick, refreshing slush made using frozen watermelon, lime juice, and water! You can even add a little vodka to make this Watermelon Slush adult friendly 😉
- Bright, fresh and just in time for summer, these easy Watermelon Doughnuts from Princess Pinky Girl are every bit as tasty as they are cute! The perfect dessert for a BBQ or your next summer get-together!
- This No-Bake Strawberry Cheesecake Dessert from Fifteen Spatulas has layers of buttery graham cracker crumbs, fresh macerated strawberries, and a creamy cheesecake filling.
I created a fun little group on facebook and I’d love for you to join in! It’s a place where you can share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, and see what’s new with Shugary Sweets (so that you never miss a new recipe)! If you’d like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
Connect with Shugary Sweets!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!
Watermelon Cupcakes recipe:
For the cupcakes:
For the Topping:
**Today’s Watermelon Cupcake recipe was originally published on Shugary Sweets on June 24, 2012 and was photographed again May 2015. This recipe has been republished in May 2018.
**There may be affiliate links in this post! By clicking on them, or purchasing recommended items I may receive a small compensation. However, I only recommend products I love! Thank you for supporting Shugary Sweets! See my disclosure policy for more info**