Cheesy, creamy Buffalo Chicken Dip is the perfect game day snack. This easy recipe is a family classic, and you’ll find yourself wishing you doubled the recipe!
Table of Contents
Why this Recipe is Best
Many of us have been eating this Buffalo Chicken Dip at parties for years. But have you tried making it yourself yet?
True confession, it also make a great dinner. It’s got all the necessary ingredients, shredded chicken, cheese…and serve it up with some bread and carrots, well, you’ve got a meal in my book!
This cheesy Buffalo Chicken Casserole is a hearty, flavorful meal.
When it comes to dips and snacks, having something that you know your friends and family will devour is important. I mean, unless you want to be stuck with leftovers (well, actually that’s not always a bad thing).
Today’s recipe for Buffalo Chicken Dip is perfect. And addicting.
It’s also always gone in minutes. Before it even has a chance to cool down. You’re literally burning your mouth while you eat it, haha!
Step by Step Instructions
First, you need cooked chicken. I usually cook up some shredded chicken in my slow cooker. Place 1 pound in the crockpot and cook on high for 4 hours, or low for 6 hours. No liquids needed, just salt and pepper.
When the chicken is done, you can shred it with two forks. Or, for perfect shredded chicken, use your mixer for about 15 seconds and it will shred up nicely.
You can also use precooked chicken, like a rotisserie chicken. Shred and put in a bowl.
Add your softened cream cheese, sour cream, buffalo sauce (Frank’s Red Hot Buffalo sauce is my favorite), and one cup of shredded cheddar cheese. Mix all of that together.
Place in a small, oven safe dish (about 1.5qt size). Sprinkle a little extra cheddar over the top (because, duh, more cheese!!!!).
Bake your Buffalo Chicken Dip in a 350 degree F oven for about 15-20 minutes, uncovered, until the cheese is golden, and mixture is bubbly! Once it’s done, drizzle a little blue cheese dressing over the top (or Ranch dressing if you prefer).
Make it in the microwave! Using a microwave safe dish, cover with plastic wrap and heat for several minutes.
Slow Cooker option! Make our delicious slow cooker buffalo chicken dip next!
I love serving a few different “scoopers.” Our favorites include Frito Scoops, celery and carrot sticks, and thinly slice toasted baguettes.
If you love Buffalo Chicken, you may also enjoy these Buffalo Chicken Tacos. Made in the slow cooker and served with a homemade blue cheese dressing, these easy, game day tacos are always a hit!
Delicious Buffalo Chicken Ring makes the perfect game days snack idea for all your favorite fans, or it’s the perfect meal! You decide!
Don’t forget to whip up a batch of homemade blue cheese dressing or ranch dressing to serve with this recipe!
Make ahead, freezer friendly Copycat Firecracker Chicken Wraps are a delicious appetizer to serve family and friends. This copycat Longhorn recipe is so good!
Serve as a meal. Spoon buffalo chicken dip over a baked sweet potato for delicious dinner option.
Buffalo chicken dip is best within 3 days. Store tightly covered in refrigerator.
Yes. Cook dip in a freezer friendly dish (a disposable foil pan works great). After cooking, cool completely. Cover entire dish in foil and freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw in refrigerator overnight, reheat in oven.
You can eat buffalo chicken dip as a meal, with celery and carrot sticks. Serve with a wedges salad and enjoy. Or serve as a snack with fritos or tortilla chips.
More Game Day Snacks
- 7 Layer Dip
- Rotel Dip
- Pico de Gallo
- Hummus Recipe
- Cauliflower Wings
- Grape Jelly Meatballs
- Pimento Cheese Dip
- Loaded Baked Potato Chip Dip
Buffalo Chicken Dip Recipe
- 1 pound chicken breasts cooked and shredded
- 8 ounce cream cheese softened
- 1 cup sour cream
- ½ cup buffalo sauce Frank’s Red Hots is my favorite
- 1 ½ cups shredded cheddar cheese divided
- 2 Tablespoons blue cheese dressing or Ranch, for garnish
- Fritos scoops, baguette slices, carrot/celery, for dipping
- In a large bowl, combine shredded chicken, cream cheese, sour cream, buffalo sauce, and 1 cup of the shredded cheddar cheese.
- Mix with a large spatula until fully combined. Spread in the bottom of a 1.5 qt baking dish. Sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup cheddar cheese over the top.
- Bake in a 350 degree F oven, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes, until cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Remove from oven and immediately drizzle with blue cheese or ranch dressing. Serve with baguette slices, Fritos scoops, and/or carrots and celery. ENJOY!
- Use a rotisserie chicken for easy dinner prep!
- A cast iron skillet is a great option to cook this dip in the oven. The cast iron keeps the dip warm and cheesy longer than a traditional baking dish.
- Want more spice? Add a few drops of hot sauce to the recipe.
- Make it in the microwave! Using a microwave safe dish, cover with plastic wrap and heat for several minutes.
- Slow Cooker option! Add all the ingredients in a small crockpot and heat on low for 3 hours, or high for 1 hours. Serve warm.
Cheesy creamy Buffalo Chicken Dip is the perfect game day snack. This easy recipe is a family classic, and you’ll find yourself wishing you doubled the recipe!