Make ahead, freezer friendly Copycat Firecracker Chicken Wraps are a delicious appetizer to serve family and friends. This copycat Longhorn recipe is so good!
Click HERE to save recipe to Pinterest
For a very brief month last summer my daughter worked at Longhorn Steakhouse. And during that time, we enjoyed one too many (is that even a thing?) servings of Firecracker Chicken Wraps.
You may be wondering to yourself…
What is Firecracker Chicken?
Well, unlike the sweet and spicy Firecracker Chicken from Panda Express, today’s version is more like a buffalo chicken recipe. Spicy, cheesy, and dipped in a delicious creamy avocado sauce!
How to make Firecracker Chicken Wraps
First, make your chicken marinade. In a small bowl, combine apple cider vinegar, sugar, Louisiana hot sauce, butter, garlic powder and cayenne pepper.
Next, you’ll want to cook your chicken in your crockpot or slow cooker for about 6 hours on low (or 4 hours on high). Do this by placing your chicken in your slow cooker and top with your chicken marinade.
Once your chicken is done cooking, shred it. The best way to shred chicken is to use a hand mixer (it takes one minute or less). Once your chicken is shredded, add shredded pepper jack cheese to the chicken mixture.
Fill each flour tortilla with about 1/4-1/2 cup of chicken and cheese. Roll each tortilla tightly and piece with a toothpick to keep it together. Place them all on a baking sheet and cover with plastic wrap. Freeze for at least 4 hours or overnight.
Once frozen, place the tortillas in a ziploc freezer bag until ready to use.
How to cook Firecracker Chicken Wraps
Preheat about 4-6 cups of vegetable oil to about 375 degrees. I use a large skillet.
Place your wraps in the hot oil and cook for about 12- 15 minutes, turning several times to cook evenly. When done, and browned, remove to a paper towel covered plate to drain for about 2-3 minutes.
What to serve with Firecracker Chicken
Our favorite dipping sauce for today’s chicken wraps would be this Avocado Lime sauce.
To make Avocado Lime Sauce, combine 1 avocado with lime juice (about 3-4 limes worth), olive oil, 2 garlic cloves, salt and water in a food processor or blender. Process until smooth and creamy. This makes a delicious dipping sauce.
If desired, a homemade blue cheese dressing is also delicious. Have a cold and creamy sauce helps combat the heat from these delicious wraps!
Appetizers for a Crowd
Need more ideas for serving a crowd? Here are a few of my favorite appetizer ideas.
Cheesy, creamy Buffalo Chicken Dip is the perfect game day snack. This easy recipe is a family classic, and you’ll find yourself wishing you doubled the recipe!
Try this Tomatillo Salsa recipe for an authentic, tangy Mexican salsa verde. Perfect for pairing with tacos, enchiladas or a big bowl of chips!
This warm, cheesy Jalapeno Spinach Queso dip is the perfect game day recipe! Easy to assemble in one pan, making this dip “party perfect.”
If you LOVE this chicken recipe, try some of my other delicious meals. This Mandarin Chicken Pasta Salad is scrumptious and the homemade teriyaki dressing is divine!
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #shugarysweets so I can see all the wonderful SHUGARY SWEETS recipes YOU make!
I created a fun little group on facebook and I’d love for you to join in! It’s a place where you can share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, and see what’s new with Shugary Sweets (so that you never miss a new recipe)! If you’d like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
Connect with Shugary Sweets!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!
Sign up to receive an email in your inbox for each new recipe:
Firecracker Chicken Wraps with Avocado Lime dipping sauce recipe
For the Wraps:
- 2 lb boneless chicken breast or thighs
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 cup Louisiana hot sauce
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cayenne pepper
- 2 cups pepper jack cheese, shredded
- 20 flour tortillas, 10 inch size
- 4 cups vegetable oil, for frying
For the avocado dipping sauce
- 1 avocado
- 3 limes, juiced
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 cup water
- lettuce and tomato, for serving
- In a large slow cooker or crockpot, add chicken breasts (or thighs).
- In a small bowl, which together the vinegar, sugar, salt, hot sauce, melted butter, garlic powder, and cayenne pepper.
- Pour marinade over chicken and cook on low for 6 hours (or high for 4 hours).
- Once done cooking, shred chicken and add pepper jack cheese.
- Spoon filling (about 1/4 cup- 1/2 cup) into each tortilla. Roll up tightly and secure with a toothpick. Place on a freezer safe baking sheet.
- Repeat for all tortillas.
- Cover tortillas with plastic wrap and freeze for several hours (or overnight). Place in a ziploc freezer bag for longer storage.
- When ready to cook, preheat 4-6 cups of olive oil in a large skillet *until temp reaches about 375 degrees F. Deep fry the chicken wraps for about 12-15 minutes, turning several times until all sides are browned.
- Remove wraps and place on paper towel to drain excess oil.
- To make the dipping sauce, combine avocado, lime juice, olive oil, garlic, salt and water in a food processor or blender. Pulse until smooth and creamy.
- To serve, place wraps on a bed of lettuce and tomato. Serve with dipping sauce.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:1/2 wrap
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 169Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 32mgSodium: 415mgCarbohydrates: 15gFiber: 1gSugar: 0gProtein: 12g