Jalapeño Spinach Queso dip is a party perfect game day recipe! A hot, cheesy dip assembled in one pan with a little spicy kick.
You can’t watch football without plenty of snacks. After eating this spicy queso, dig into these Oatmeal Cream Pie Footballs for dessert!
Why this Queso is Best
- Jalapeño and spinach are a genius addition to classic queso.
- This dip has just the right amount of spicy heat.
- It’s cheesy, hearty and tastes amazing with everything from tortilla chips to rolls.
- Made from scratch in ONE pan! It doesn’t get any easier.
This awesome recipe came from my friend’s Donna and Chad, from The Slow Roasted Italian and the book, The Simple Kitchen.
Queso is a Mexican-style hot cheese dip, not unlike fondue, but even thicker and creamier. If you’ve never tried making your own queso dip from scratch, NOW is the time.
You’ll be amazed at how easy it is!
Obviously, the easier the better, right? Like a bowl of delicious Guacamole. I also like something a little heartier, and my go-to dish is this Italian Beef Ring, it’s loved by all!
The kids love this Bacon Cheeseburger Braid (well, actually so do the adults). Why not make it all for a big game day feast?
Here’s what you need to make the best jalapeño spinach queso.
- Unsalted Butter – It gives you more control over the saltiness of the finished dip, compared to salted butter.
- Onion – I use white onion, diced small.
- Jalapeños – Remove the seeds to keep the flavors balanced in this queso recipe.
- Flour – thickens the queso to a perfect consistency.
- Whole Milk – for creamiest flavor.
- Shredded pepper jack cheese – Use a block of cheese, freshly shredded. It melts quicker and smoother than store bought shredded cheese!
- Frozen spinach – Thaw and squeeze out the water with paper towels.
- Roma tomato – for topping the finished queso with fresh, juicy flavor and color.
Tips and Tricks
Like all queso recipes, this dip is best served warm. Go ahead and dig in right away!
The queso will get firmer as it cools. If this happens, just reheat in the microwave, stir and serve. You can also keep it warm in your slow cooker on low and enjoy it throughout the day.
Wondering what to serve with queso?
Serve this cheesy Jalapeno Spinach Queso with your favorite dippers like tortilla chips and crackers. Or make a batch of homemade dinner rolls for dipping!
We didn’t have time to bake our own, so we just picked up some pretzel rolls from the grocery store and cut them up to dip. OMG such a great side to this dip! Try it yourself!
This recipe uses pepper jack cheese. It has a nice balance of mild and tangy flavor!
You sure can. Sharp cheddar and monterrey cheeses are both delicious for queso.
Or substitute your favorite shredded Mexican cheese blend. It’ll come out tasting great either way.
For a milder jalapeño queso, use less jalapeño. For a spicier dip, add another half of a jalapeño or sprinkle in a few red pepper flakes before serving.
Absolutely! If using fresh spinach, add it in the last couple of minutes of cooking time. Stir until spinach is wilted.
Believe me, there won’t be one bite leftover when this spinach queso is on the menu! If you do manage to not eat the whole batch, store leftovers tightly covered in the refrigerator.
Reheat before enjoying.
More Easy Appetizer Recipes
- Pimento Cheese Dip
- Crescent Roll Veggie Pizza
- Rotel Dip
- Queso – made in the Instant Pot!
- BLT Dip
- Jalepeno Corn Dip – served warm
- Baked Potato Dip
Queso with jalapeño and spinach might just be the most flavorful easy cheese dip ever!
Oh this dip is the bomb! So delicious
This dip has tons of flavor! The only problem is that it’s addictive, and delicious.
This dip sounds like it’s super flavorful. It would be perfect for the upcoming holiday entertaining season.